• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 10:47 PM

The origins of hockey are that Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews invented it in 2008 as a winter sport, but only to keep them in shape for their summertime activity of "keeping their core together." Who knew?

Really? I thought Sidney Crosby invented it back in 1993.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#22 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 04:57 PM

I got in argument with some one over which was a better sport hockey or basketball , and his reason that basketball was better is because it is American but I'm pretty sure it's Canadian. Do you guys know whether baskball is Canadian or American?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basketball

If this is accurate, basketball was developed by a Candian, but on American soil.

While hockey/the NHL is more internationalized in terms of players/people employed from multiple countries, over the years the gap/competition between countries playing basketball/talent and the like vs. USA talent has really narrowed. In an international competition I'd take U.S. talent still, but two summer Olympics ago we witnessed them not winning a gold medal, U.S. teams no longer demolish other countries every game with ease, etc. You see where I'm getting at.

I personally think hockey is more exciting to watch and will pick watching a hockey game 99 times out of 100 if I don't have an emotional investment in the teams playing, but I've seen more basketball games in my life that I can probably count that I had interest in the outcome, when I was in high school, college, or going to local college games when I was young, etc. I also never grew up playing hockey, ice or roller, and growing up as a kid I played basketball and baseball, and played pick-up basketball off/on in college before I blew out my ACL and pretty much retired me from playing any contact sports, serious or not. While I don't think a basketball game is as appealing to watch when I have no emotional interest in the game, I certainly enjoyed playing it when I did more often than not, and I respect the talent it takes to play the game at the highest levels.

You can spin it whatever way you want on where the game(s) were developed and what sport is better, but you and your friend already have your biases and trying to justify one being better over the other is probably not going to change either of your opinions.

#23 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 06:43 PM

If you are proud of watching a sport in which a majority of the players have been convicted of a felony, then keep watching the NBA.

Posted Image