• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
edicius

Flyers place Leighton on waivers

Rate this topic

From TSN:

One year after he helped the Philadelphia Flyers get to the Stanley Cup Final, goaltender Michael Leighton was placed on re-entry waivers by the club on Tuesday.

If Leighton is claimed by another team, that team would be responsible for half of his annual salary of $1.6 million next season. However, he would not be eligible to play in this year's regular season or playoffs.

I think we should pick him for backup Howard. Because Osgood is inactive, and we are not sure if he can be 100% in the playoffs. Therefore, we need one to support Howard when he is not 100% in the playoffs.

We would have to pick up the 1.6 mill which I am pretty sure we don't have right now to use. Not a salary cap guru though.

Both are incorrect....

First if we did claim him.... We would pick up half his salary and the Flyers would pick up the other half since its Re-entry Waivers....

Second... We can not pick him up and have him play this year... This is because he was not on our roster or organization before the trade deadline. He wouldn't be allowed to dress for us until next season... I was hoping we could have him as a backup since Ozzie isn't looking like he will be back...

crash

newfy beat me by seconds haha

Edited by Crashnburnluder

did we all forget about macdonald all of a sudden? hes been a beast recently besides the STL game.

It's the goalie position in Detroit. The 2nd someone is on re-entry waivers its..

ZOMG!!!! WE COULD REALLY USE THAT GUY scared.gifscared.gif

It's almost comforting that it doesn't change :lol:

Guest Crymson

did we all forget about macdonald all of a sudden? hes been a beast recently besides the STL game.

He can't be relied upon to be consistent. How many times have we seen backups put together a few amazing games but fail in the long run?

Leighton would be a really good option actually for next season as Howards backup. He has experience and really played well through the playoffs last season, he also has the finals experience and would be really cheap.

You couldn't ask for much more out of a backup especially at that price, I hope Kenny takes a long look at this since Ozzie can't be relied on to stay healthy any longer

Leighton would be a really good option actually for next season as Howards backup. He has experience and really played well through the playoffs last season, he also has the finals experience and would be really cheap.

You couldn't ask for much more out of a backup especially at that price, I hope Kenny takes a long look at this since Ozzie can't be relied on to stay healthy any longer

Leighton has only playing in 1 NHL game this year, he isn't healthy either. He needs to prove that he's healthy

Leighton has only playing in 1 NHL game this year, he isn't healthy either. He needs to prove that he's healthy

Leighton doesnt have the groin of a 40 year old though either. Hes had an injuyr filled season but hes no Dipietro, I dont see why he couldnt bounce back

It seems like it could be a safe pick up. Let him come to camp next year and see if he can bounce back, if he sucks then I don't believe there is any rule saying that The Wings cant just waive him again (Correct me if im wrong here). If thats the case then there is really no harm in grabbing him. If he has a great rebound year he will look like a steal at 800k, and if not, send him down to GR or hope someone else picks him up.

Guest CaliWingsNut

He played one game before being put in the minors some time ago. I would guess he has performed poorly during his time in the minors and they are checking if anyone will bite.

From TSN:

I think we should pick him for backup Howard. Because Osgood is inactive, and we are not sure if he can be 100% in the playoffs. Therefore, we need one to support Howard when he is not 100% in the playoffs.

We would have to pick up the 1.6 mill which I am pretty sure we don't have right now to use. Not a salary cap guru though.

Wow

View PostHankthaTank, on 05 April 2011 - 03:27 PM, said:

I think we would only be on the hook for half that number as the Flyers would still be on the hook for the other half.

I stated at the end I am not huge on salary stuff... I then went on to say I realized it was there as plain as day in the article and called myself out on it. :lol: some people and their holier than thou attitudes...

So knowing now that he is only an 800K contract next season would you like to see the wings pick him up?

So knowing now that he is only an 800K contract next season would you like to see the wings pick him up?

I would pick him up. Have Osgood retire then have Howard and Leighton as the goalies.