• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

nate94gt

Howard, Stuart, Eaves possible Tuesday against the Oil

Rate this topic

Howard wasn't the problem v. the Flyers. I am fine with him getting a chance with the team playing the way they played the last 20 minutes of that game in front of him, this time.

Someone needs to address the lack of passion/interest from the team, and the suspect defense before the Western Canada swing.

I am now getting really annoyed with Babcock's refusing to play Ozzy; he better play Friday against the Flames. Also good to hear Stu is okay. I too would like to see the Defense problem talked about in the dressing room, but maybe Babs needs to fix the D combos... Lidstrom is always a high plus/ minus except for this year playing with Stuart who is just too slow at puck movement. I think the team played better with Nick and Rafi playing together the other night so Babs should try that out again because some sort of changes need to be made.

Howard's slumping, Oilers suck, so let's break him out and get his confidence back with this. Still would like to see Ozzie get some more starts in the next few weeks and not just because of the back to back games.

Good news for Eaves and Stuart though. :thumbup:

Really would like to see Osgood getting some starts. He has earned it as of late, especially compared to Howard. I get the whole "let the goaltender bounce back" thing, but how long are we going to shelf Osgood so Howard can work out the kinks? He had a rough December and didn't exactly start the New Year with a bang. I think the Wings have a chance right now to do what they couldn't last season and ended up regretting in the long run: have a two goalie rotation, using the veteran to keep the younger guy rested and healthy, and let the position work itself out naturally.

Really, what is wrong with having Osgood start every other or every third game? As things sit right now, I see Howard continuing to struggle, Osgood to cool off/get discouraged again, and here we are in spring out in the second round again. Do you think its a saving-face thing sometimes with Babcock, as in he doesn't want anyone to think anything is wrong with what he has been doing so he keeps on keeping on? He seems to do that a lot...

If Jimmy is our starter you have to roll with him in this one. He hasn't looked good lately but in sports there is this word called "confidence". Ozzie has played very well lately but Jimmy has to get his starts after the "not so good" ones. Also good to see Stuie is alright. That would be a pretty devastating hit to the defense at this point especially losing one of the real iron men of the team.

Edited by HankthaTank

I really don't like Mike Babcock at the moment.

He has two different standards for his goalies.

If Jimmy is our starter you have to roll with him in this one. He hasn't looked good lately but in sports there is this word called "confidence". Ozzie has played very well lately but Jimmy has to get his starts after the "not so good" ones. Also good to see Stuie is alright. That would be a pretty devastating hit to the defense at this point especially losing one of the real iron men of the team.

Howard has gotten starts after not so good ones. A month running now.

I really don't like Mike Babcock at the moment.

He has two different standards for his goalies.

Howard has gotten starts after not so good ones. A month running now.

That's my feeling, exactly.

I don't understand what Babcock is doing. I've always supported him, but his handling of the goalie situation last year and this year is just mind boggling. Howard is not playing well. Whether or not you blame him for losses, it's just a fact. Ozzie, on the flip side, is playing very, very well. Why NOT give him a chance? Howard, for the moment, has played himself OUT of a starting position, yet Babcock refuses to go to Ozzie who we know is capable of carrying the load if need be. It's almost like he forgets we have a 400-win goalie as our backup.

I understand he doesn't want to shake Howard's confidence, but that boat sailed a while ago. Howard has gotten into terrible habits and needs to retool his game (namely, not dropping to the ice every time the opponent comes into the zone), which he can't do if he's starting every game.

If I were Ozzie I'd be even more pissed than last year. Last year Ozzie deserved to not play, and he didn't. This year he deserves to play, and he's not.

Wake up Babcock!

Really would like to see Osgood getting some starts. He has earned it as of late, especially compared to Howard. I get the whole "let the goaltender bounce back" thing, but how long are we going to shelf Osgood so Howard can work out the kinks? He had a rough December and didn't exactly start the New Year with a bang. I think the Wings have a chance right now to do what they couldn't last season and ended up regretting in the long run: have a two goalie rotation, using the veteran to keep the younger guy rested and healthy, and let the position work itself out naturally.

Really, what is wrong with having Osgood start every other or every third game? As things sit right now, I see Howard continuing to struggle, Osgood to cool off/get discouraged again, and here we are in spring out in the second round again. Do you think its a saving-face thing sometimes with Babcock, as in he doesn't want anyone to think anything is wrong with what he has been doing so he keeps on keeping on? He seems to do that a lot...

The bolded is key to me. I don't know what Babcock's thought process is, but it makes little sense to me at all and given Howard's struggles in the playoffs last year and his continually mounting struggles this year, I'm not prone to think Babcock really knows what he's doing when dealing with the goalies. He seems quite good thus far at making a lot of wrong decisions. Even in '09 he wanted to go with Conklin in the playoffs until Holland stepped in and took over the goalie situation, eventually leading to Osgood getting back on track and having an outstanding playoff run.

And really, what's the worst that would happen if Osgood did get going and take over heading into the playoffs? His last two playoff runs worked out pretty well for everyone...

Agreed. I would like to see Ozzie play more. Howard's play has been shaky as of late. I can understand getting starts after 'not good' games, but lately Howie has been having too many 'not good' games. He needs to refocus. Give him a little time to work on his game, on a mental and physical level, while Ozzie get some games under his belt. He can handle it.

Goalie situation will be handled the right way in the end, I don't have much doubt about that.

What I am more interested in is if Eaves is available to play and Tatar still goes on the trip to Edmonton, do you sit Miller in favor of Tatar, Miller hasn't really been visible on the ice the last month, except when he forced Leino into a goalie interference penalty last night, whereas Tatar has tons of energy, has a nose for the net, and has actually been noticeable in his brief stint so far. I'd really like to see Tatar and Mursak get a few more games under their belts, especially since we have room on the roster at the moment, maybe have Tatar/Draper/Mursak play the "2 kids and a goat" line for a few games and see what happens.

Goalie situation will be handled the right way in the end, I don't have much doubt about that.

What I am more interested in is if Eaves is available to play and Tatar still goes on the trip to Edmonton, do you sit Miller in favor of Tatar, Miller hasn't really been visible on the ice the last month, except when he forced Leino into a goalie interference penalty last night, whereas Tatar has tons of energy, has a nose for the net, and has actually been noticeable in his brief stint so far. I'd really like to see Tatar and Mursak get a few more games under their belts, especially since we have room on the roster at the moment, maybe have Tatar/Draper/Mursak play the "2 kids and a goat" line for a few games and see what happens.

I feel like the "rotation" has worn on Miller more than others as the last month or so has passed. He was earning his spot in the lineup while Hudler was slumping (can you call it that if he's never really not slumping?) yet he was still stuck in a rotation. You could tell it was frustrating him and I could see that throwing his game off a bit.

It wouldn't be LGW if we couldn't ***** about the goalie situation. Relax... It will all get worked out. Osgood is played really welll, Howard is playing average. I think the bigger issue has been our lack of a 60min game more than either of our goalies. Osgood will get his starts.

Howard in net again. I like howard, but i really want ozzie to get more playing time, he's been doing well.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2011/01/red_wings_brad_stuart_bloodied.html

and were off in 3......2......1.....

Howard hasn't played as good as in the beginning of his season, but it's not entirely on him. He's having some pretty crappy luck with deflections/bounces, defense isn't as good, etc. Not saying these are excuses, just factors that also play in to him struggling as well.

I'd like to see Osgood play a bit more as well but it's nothing really to sound alarms off with right now. Unless I see or read differently, Howard is still the starter at present time. Though I highly doubt we're in a situation thankfully where he's play 20+ games straight like last season.

I know, it's like he treats a starter different than a back up. <_<

Touchè good sir. Whether this is sarcasm or your actual opinion, the sarcasm part is the full on truth. Relax, Wings fans. Realizing this is not the case with Wings fans and the goalie situation EVER!

But I digress.

I know, it's like he treats a starter different than a back up. <_<

Howard has been badly outplayed by Osgood for a month and a half. This what you don't understand.

Howard automatically gets the next start after a bad game to 'sort it out' if you will. The problem is that he has been having a ton of bad games. Osgood, on the other hand, has been playing great and after each great game he gets exiled to the end of the bench for another week or two.

Howard has done nothing to earn his starts this season; Osgood has done plenty. Osgood should be starting half or more of the games from here on out until Howard proves otherwise.

Gee....ya think?

Babcock is delusional about goaltending. It's his blind spot.

He seems to think that he can manufacture a Starting Goaltender, by sheer number of Starts alone.

He did it with Legace. He tried to do it with Conklin. And now he's doing it with Howard.

Babcock needs to learn that what makes a goaltender a #1 Goaltender is NOT the number of Games he starts during the Season. It's what's between his ears. And you can't FORCE that, no matter how many Games you throw 'em out there.

Babcock seems pig-headedly stubborn, incapable of learning from past mistakes, and unwilling to admit when he's wrong.

Maybe THAT is what kept him from ever being able to make it to the NHL as a Player.

Howard has been badly outplayed by Osgood for a month and a half. This what you don't understand.

Howard automatically gets the next start after a bad game to 'sort it out' if you will. The problem is that he has been having a ton of bad games. Osgood, on the other hand, has been playing great and after each great game he gets exiled to the end of the bench for another week or two.

Howard has done nothing to earn his starts this season; Osgood has done plenty. Osgood should be starting half or more of the games from here on out until Howard proves otherwise.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Edited by Hell Toupee