15 replies to this topic

#1 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 03:38 PM

Crosby 1st, Luongo 2nd

In 16games lidstrom had 8 goals 8 assists.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=348020

#2 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,621 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 03:43 PM

should have been 2nd imo, but ohwell.

Edited by darkmanx, 04 January 2011 - 03:44 PM.

#3 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 03:46 PM

Posted Image Feel the same as poster above. Nick was just unreal. But it was merely just a # as s*** stain was clearly the best player in the NHL last month. Here is to another great month for the Perfect Human! Posted Image
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#4 Rick Zombos Ghost

Rick Zombos Ghost

the jerk store

• PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 03:50 PM

well considering he doesnt play for the penguins or the crapitals im surprised he got in the top 3

#5 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 03:53 PM

Congrats Nick! But I have a feeling this thread will be derailed quickly with Crosby hate and what not.

3 more years Nick!!!!
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#6 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,621 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 03:55 PM

Congrats Nick! But I have a feeling this thread will be derailed quickly with Crosby hate and what not.

3 more years Nick!!!!

doubt it, you can't say Crosby didn't deserve number 1, but you have to admit he should have taken it over Luongo.

#7 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 04:17 PM

doubt it, you can't say Crosby didn't deserve number 1, but you have to admit he should have taken it over Luongo.

Meh, a point-per-game pace by a defensesman is just as impressive as winning 8 of 10 games for a goalie. Either of them could have been 2nd star.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#8 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,621 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 04:33 PM

Meh, a point-per-game pace by a defensesman is just as impressive as winning 8 of 10 games for a goalie. Either of them could have been 2nd star.

hmm.. did Howard ever get a star, I think he went 9-0 to start the season or something.

#9 HOCKEY MATTERS

HOCKEY MATTERS

Nearly invisible now........you smell that?

• HoF Booster
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 04:42 PM

Murph ate like 30 hot dogs on dollar night........
half the world is nuts...and the other half is crazy
"You can't chew yesterdays' breakfast." Jim Leyland
Drawing on my fine command of language, I said nothing.

Alternative to Google tracking you.... http://duckduckgo.com/

#10 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 07:35 PM

Nicklas Lidstrom was named Third Star for the month of December. He also earned a Third Star recently for a weekly award from the league. Many analysts believe is the front-runner for, what would be, his seventh Norris Trophy as the league's best defenseman. Lidstrom is playing outstanding hockey. But, yet, he's not named as one of the All-Star starters as announced today by fan voting? Sounds like a terrible, terrible mistake.

From The Detroit News: http://apps.detnews....2#ixzz1A7EwULl8

While it is a mistake imo, it shouldn't be all that surprising to the Detroit media or to anyone, really. Lidstrom to this day is under-appreciated simply because most fans aren't trained to notice the subtle plays he makes in order to dominate a game. The casual fan gravitates to not only players with outstanding offensive numbers but also plainly apparent flash and style. It's why Lidstrom is under-appreciated by fans (Red Wings fans included) and even in Sweden as images like Forsberg and the Sedin twins gain more popularity.

However, the most important thing to note is that to some fans along with good scouts and coaches, people with trained eyes so to speak, do notice Nick out there.

#11 nate94gt

nate94gt

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 07:47 PM

hmm.. did Howard ever get a star, I think he went 9-0 to start the season or something.

yes sir.

here you go, the top 30 per NHL.com. im not sure if this is the same thing, however

Z has 4 first stars. Lids is ranked 40th.

Posted Image

#12 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,166 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 07:48 PM

While it is a mistake imo, it shouldn't be all that surprising to the Detroit media or to anyone, really. Lidstrom to this day is under-appreciated simply because most fans aren't trained to notice the subtle plays he makes in order to dominate a game. The casual fan gravitates to not only players with outstanding offensive numbers but also plainly apparent flash and style. It's why Lidstrom is under-appreciated by fans (Red Wings fans included) and even in Sweden as images like Forsberg and the Sedin twins gain more popularity.

However, the most important thing to note is that to some fans along with good scouts and coaches, people with trained eyes so to speak, do notice Nick out there.

Agreed, and I think it's pitiful. The man is one of the best to ever lace up the skates and most "fans" out there couldn't pick him out of a lineup if the rest of the line were all Greeks.
Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#13 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 08:12 PM

Agreed, and I think it's pitiful. The man is one of the best to ever lace up the skates and most "fans" out there couldn't pick him out of a lineup if the rest of the line were all Greeks.

I think it was McCarty who once said something along the lines of, "If you ask any player in the league who the best players are they'll name some popular names and then you ask them, 'What about Nick Lidstrom?' they'll say, 'Oh yeah! Him too.'"

#14 CopenhagenWing

CopenhagenWing

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 08:34 PM

Lidstrom to this day is under-appreciated simply because....

..he's not Canadian.

#15 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,621 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 09:01 PM

..he's not Canadian.

sadly, this is the truth.

Anyways, TSN just said Lidstrom got voted into the game. I kinda wanted him to have the rest but at least maybe just maybe some people will actually notice the real raw talent he possesses, but somehow I doubt it.

#16 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,897 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 10:31 PM

Luongo gets the second star for actually playing up to his reputation for a month.