• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

THE ENFORCER24

Red Wings Tough Guy?

Rate this topic

Ok, im new to the site so hello everyone.

But i got thinking the other day and i was wondering why the red wings dont have a tough guy. I mean honesty its not like a tough guy could do any worse than hudler or the now injured washed up haz been madano. If we had a tough guy atleast he would go out and do something to create energy. The way i think of it as if you cant score atleast try and hit and fight and get energy in the place. if you cant fight than you should be able to score and produce. Hudler is doing none of that right now. hes not scoring so he should be atleast hitting and fighing making himself noticable.

Bob probert died over the summer, the least the wings could do is show a little spin and get a tough guy.

And dont tell me that abby and ericsson are tough becuause while they fight mabye 2-3 times a year they arent an enforcer just a GRITTY guy. we have a bunch of grit but not toughnest. red wings were playing some amazing hockey 3 years ago when downey was patrolling the ice. The wings neeed that more than ever. remember when lapperier layed out lidstrom? downey was the one that came to his aid and beat his ass.

Also dont tell me a team with all tough guys doesnt win because the pens are currently leading the nhl in fights and are the best team in the nhl right now. They are the ideal team right now with skill and toughness. they are the wings of the 90's. Sure they can play the most skilled team in the league and beat them but they can also play the toughest teams and mop the floor with them too. They can score goals all night long but went things turn ugly they will beat the crap out of you. they have 3 heavy weight in godard, engelland, and rupp. but they also have adams, orpik, and asham.

In the off season this year we could have gone out and got a tough guy. we could have gotten 3 konopka's for the price of hudler or madano. No but we decided the waste our cap space on a whased up has been in madano and a small none physical euro in hudler. what happend to the days of probert, kocur, lapointe, shanny, and mccarty. the only guys on the team now with some balls are abby, helm, eaves and stuart. for the love of god ken holland get someone on the team that can go out and do the dirty work.

DO IT FOR PROBERT!!!

End rant. Sorry if i offendend any of you guys but i though i would just make a point.

I think i will like this place. :)

Haha. Uh oh... this one could be fun to read. I feel like this is always an overdone argument in regards to the Wings. The tough guys are a thing of the past, unfortunately. It would be nice to get one in FA or the draft at some point (maybe Callahan). We all know Wings go for skill way at the top of the list.

Ok, I'm new to the site, so hello everyone.

But I got thinking the other day and I was wondering why the Red Wings don’t have a tough guy. I mean honesty its not like a tough guy could do any worse than Hudler or the now injured washed up has been Modano. If we had a tough guy at least he would go out and do something to create energy. The way I think of it as if you can’t score at least try and hit and fight and get energy in the place. If you can’t fight than you should be able to score and produce. Hudler is doing none of that right now. He’s not scoring so he should be at least hitting and fighting making himself noticeable.

Bob Probert died over the summer, the least the wings could do is show a little spin and get a tough guy.

And don’t tell me that Abby and Ericsson are tough because while they fight maybe 2-3 times a year they aren’t an enforcer just a GRITTY guy. We have a bunch of grit but not toughest. Red wings were playing some amazing hockey 3 years ago when Downey was patrolling the ice. The Wings need that more than ever. Remember when Lapperier laid out Lidstrom? Downey was the one that came to his aid and beat his ass.

Also don’t tell me a team with all tough guys doesn’t win because the Pens are currently leading the NHL in fights and are the best team in the NHL right now. They are the ideal team right now with skill and toughness. They are the wings of the 90's. Sure they can play the most skilled team in the league and beat them but they can also play the toughest teams and mop the floor with them too. They can score goals all night long but went things turn ugly they will beat the crap out of you. They have 3 heavy weights in Godard, Engelland, and Rupp. But they also have Adams, Orpik, and Asham.

In the off season this year we could have gone out and got a tough guy. We could have gotten 3 konopka's for the price of Hudler or Modano. No, but we decided the waste our cap space on a washed up has been in Modano and a small non physical euro in Hudler. What happened to the days of Probert, Kocur, Lapointe, Shanny, and McCarty? The only guys on the team now with some balls are Abby, Helm, Eaves and Stuart. For the love of God Ken Holland get someone on the team that can go out and do the dirty work.

DO IT FOR PROBERT!!!

End rant. Sorry if I offended any of you guys but I though I would just make a point.

I think I will like this place. :)

Fixed. Sorry, I had to spell check that monstrosity of a post. Welcome to LGW, but if you want people to take you seriously, maybe take a little time and make your post a little more readable.

As far as your points go, I agree with the fact that we don't really have an enforcer type of player on our team, but as of right now, I don't really see why we would need it. We're beating teams on the score sheet. Sure Hudler is essentially invisible this year, but I thought he played a little harder against Edmonton the other night. Modano was playing well up until he got injured too.

Like I said, I don't know really what caused you to want to bring this up because it's not like teams are taking runs at our players or our players are getting injured in dirty play. We're a skilled team all around and as long as we're playing hard, I don't see the need for an enforcer.

Pens are currently leading the NHL in fights and are the best team in the NHL right now.

Not exactly the best team, plus they play in a division that contains the bottom two teams in the much weaker Eastern Conference. I'd expect them to be close to the top of the conference, as well as the NHL. But they're 4th. Not the best.

Edited by lookalive07

Like I said, I don't know really what caused you to want to bring this up because it's not like teams are taking runs at our players or our players are getting injured in dirty play. We're a skilled team all around and as long as we're playing hard, I don't see the need for an enforcer.

this is something that often gets overlooked. if we were in a division with philly or anaheim or a tough team, i could maybe understand the desire. but i would say 99% of this season, an enforcer wasn't even needed.

personally i would love to have a tough 4th liner like brandon prust. someone that can drop the gloves and also skate a regular shift. but i am also fine with the team not having a dedicated enforcer. i would also love to see guys like ericsson and abdelkader turn into guys that can fight more often and go against tougher opponents, but not going to hold my breath!

unfortunately this will quickly turn into the hyperbole that it always does.

i wouldn't be surprised if this new person was a regular user that wanted to start a big argument for something to do and just created a new account to do it.

As far as your points go, I agree with the fact that we don't really have an enforcer type of player on our team, but as of right now, I don't really see why we would need it.
but i would say 99% of this season, an enforcer wasn't even needed.

thumbup.gif Yup. Still 1st place in the West without arguably 2 of our best forwards this year so far. Simply hasn't been necessary.

Edited by HankthaTank

Guest Howard He Do It?!

Goalie thread --> Enforcer thread --> Goalie thread --> Enforcer thread --> Goalie thread --> Enforcer thread

And around and around we go.

Guest Howard He Do It?!

Oooh fun!!! When was the last time we had an enforcer discussion? It actually seems like a HWile.

Before the last full moon.

Ok, im new to the site so hello everyone.

But i got thinking the other day and i was wondering why the red wings dont have a tough guy. I mean honesty its not like a tough guy could do any worse than hudler or the now injured washed up haz been madano. If we had a tough guy atleast he would go out and do something to create energy. The way i think of it as if you cant score atleast try and hit and fight and get energy in the place. if you cant fight than you should be able to score and produce. Hudler is doing none of that right now. hes not scoring so he should be atleast hitting and fighing making himself noticable.

Bob probert died over the summer, the least the wings could do is show a little spin and get a tough guy.

And dont tell me that abby and ericsson are tough becuause while they fight mabye 2-3 times a year they arent an enforcer just a GRITTY guy. we have a bunch of grit but not toughnest. red wings were playing some amazing hockey 3 years ago when downey was patrolling the ice. The wings neeed that more than ever. remember when lapperier layed out lidstrom? downey was the one that came to his aid and beat his ass.

Also dont tell me a team with all tough guys doesnt win because the pens are currently leading the nhl in fights and are the best team in the nhl right now. They are the ideal team right now with skill and toughness. they are the wings of the 90's. Sure they can play the most skilled team in the league and beat them but they can also play the toughest teams and mop the floor with them too. They can score goals all night long but went things turn ugly they will beat the crap out of you. they have 3 heavy weight in godard, engelland, and rupp. but they also have adams, orpik, and asham.

In the off season this year we could have gone out and got a tough guy. we could have gotten 3 konopka's for the price of hudler or madano. No but we decided the waste our cap space on a whased up has been in madano and a small none physical euro in hudler. what happend to the days of probert, kocur, lapointe, shanny, and mccarty. the only guys on the team now with some balls are abby, helm, eaves and stuart. for the love of god ken holland get someone on the team that can go out and do the dirty work.

DO IT FOR PROBERT!!!

End rant. Sorry if i offendend any of you guys but i though i would just make a point.

I think i will like this place. :)

First welcome to the forums, next:

With the current depth the Red Wings' system has at Forward going out and getting an enforcer to play 5 minutes a night would at best be counter productive. If you sit Hudler replacing him with an enforcer would not upgrade the roster because replacing a scorer and a top 9 player with a bottom 3 enforcer only clogs up the over flow in the bottom 3, it doesn't improve the top 9. What the Wings really need is a scoring Winger, too many of the wings (aside from Franzen and to a lesser extent Cleary) have a pass first mentality, and no one who wants to finish. I am sure this will stir up the enforcer bees nest, but c'est la vie.

Yeah - who wants a guy that'll bring energy to the team,

Because we don't have any of those on the team.

stand up for his teammates when needed,

We don't have any of those on our team.

go into the corners/drive to the net,

We don't have any of those on our team.

and pound lumps on the noggins of Perry, and Pronger

Datsyuk fought Perry and did fine and I don't find it likely that Pronger would fight a guy with a better fighting record on this team. He went after Dan Cleary for crying out loud.

when we can have the likes of Hudler, and Miller playing instead :rolleyes:

I think it has been stated countless times why Hudler remains on this team, slumping aside, and Miller brings a defensive game no enforcer would match. Considering our even strength play is the issue right now, I don't see how an enforcer is going to fix any of those problems.

But good luck trying to convince us of that for the next 30 pages.

Honeslty, how many times this season have any of you sat there and said "man, I wish we had a no skill enforcer playing 4-5 mins a night right now instead of good defensive players. Those fights really win games for us". Teams very rarely goon it up on us, and if you want me to go find my posts about the Wings physical play on HF I can do that too. I swear, most enforcer slappies just want to watch fights, they dont even care if dressing an enforcer helps or hurts the team.

Edited by cjm502

You guys just don't get it, if we had a real enforcer on the team it would just ruin everything, the rest of our players would instantly start sucking and we would be bottom dwellers in the West until he was removed from the lineup. The Wings are just not deep enough at the forward position to allow a knuckle-dragger to occupy a roster spot. (quick someone point out my debate strategy to appear smart!)

Enforcer threads are fun.

esteef

You guys just don't get it

Yes we do.

if we had a real enforcer on the team it would just ruin everything

No it wouldn't

the rest of our players would instantly start sucking and we would be bottom dwellers in the West until he was removed from the lineup

ERRONEOUS!

The Wings are just not deep enough at the forward position to allow a knuckle-dragger to occupy a roster spot.

SEE: Ruslan Salei

(quick someone point out my debate strategy to appear smart!)

tried

Enforcer threads are fun.

whatevz

EDIT: still had to edit. neato hehe.gif

Edited by HankthaTank