• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

THE ENFORCER24

Red Wings Tough Guy?

Rate this topic

Honeslty, how many times this season have any of you sat there and said "man, I wish we had a no skill enforcer playing 4-5 mins a night right now instead of good defensive players. Those fights really win games for us". Teams very rarely goon it up on us, and if you want me to go find my posts about the Wings physical play on HF I can do that too. I swear, most enforcer slappies just want to watch fights, they dont even care if dressing an enforcer helps or hurts the team.

Oh, yes! I have SOOOOOO often wished for a no-skill enforcer playing 4-5 mins a night.

Wait a minute! Isn't this about getting someone that with reasonably good skill who can fight as well? Kind of like, oh, say, Helm or Abby or Eaves or Miller or Ericsson except that they could also do more than hold their own in a fight?

A GOOD player, but a tough one. A DMac. A Shanny. A Probie. That kind of a guy.

Not a time-wasting floater whose only job it is is to goon it up. Someone who can take a shift, and take it well, and THEN punch the lights out of someone when needed.

Then take this ONE guy and add him to a roster that contains the likes of Zata, Pavel, Norris Nick, etc.

Why, oh why, do people always assume that if you like beef you can't have an assortment of side dishes?

Enforcers help toughen up soft Euros, in order to ready them for a playoff run, by which point they'll be battle tested.

Oh, yes! I have SOOOOOO often wished for a no-skill enforcer playing 4-5 mins a night.

Wait a minute! Isn't this about getting someone that with reasonably good skill who can fight as well? Kind of like, oh, say, Helm or Abby or Eaves or Miller or Ericsson except that they could also do more than hold their own in a fight?

A GOOD player, but a tough one. A DMac. A Shanny. A Probie. That kind of a guy.

Not a time-wasting floater whose only job it is is to goon it up. Someone who can take a shift, and take it well, and THEN punch the lights out of someone when needed.

Then take this ONE guy and add him to a roster that contains the likes of Zata, Pavel, Norris Nick, etc.

Why, oh why, do people always assume that if you like beef you can't have an assortment of side dishes?

Because there are certain fans here who are too in love with some useless 4th liners, to bear the thought of that player leaving for an enforcer in the lineup.

Honeslty, how many times this season have any of you sat there and said "man, I wish we had a no skill enforcer playing 4-5 mins a night right now instead of good defensive players. Those fights really win games for us". Teams very rarely goon it up on us, and if you want me to go find my posts about the Wings physical play on HF I can do that too. I swear, most enforcer slappies just want to watch fights, they dont even care if dressing an enforcer helps or hurts the team.

Yeah youre right. Drew Millers 6 points, -1, 8 minutes on the ice per game and next to no physicality would really help this team more then Zenon Konopka's 8 minutes on ice per game, 2 minutes on the PK, 5 points, big hits, fights and 59% on face offs.

Millers stats are also way better then Prust's 12 minutes on the ice per game, 1 and a half minutes on the PK, 15 points and fighting.

Wow look at that Konopka who led the league in fighting majors last year has pretty much the same stats as Miller while being a way bigger hitter, a very good fighter and just overall more physical.

Prust has pretty much better stats in every facet of the game and his primary role is an enforcer.

Thats not to mention guys like Clarkson who is clearly better, Chris Neil, or defenseman like Carkner or Engelland who are just as good as Ruslan Salei, if not better.

Maybe people should start looking at facts instead of assuming all enforcers cant play hockey or skate. Its called watching hockey, I guess some people don't watch they just read the boxscore see a fight and assume the guy isn't good at hockey. :rolleyes:

Yeah that's what I said, a hwile.

Hwy am I saying hwat, hwat hway? :cool:

Yeah youre right. Drew Millers 6 points, -1, 8 minutes on the ice per game and next to no physicality would really help this team more then Zenon Konopka's 8 minutes on ice per game, 2 minutes on the PK, 5 points, big hits, fights and 59% on face offs.

Millers stats are also way better then Prust's 12 minutes on the ice per game, 1 and a half minutes on the PK, 15 points and fighting.

Wow look at that Konopka who led the league in fighting majors last year has pretty much the same stats as Miller while being a way bigger hitter, a very good fighter and just overall more physical.

Prust has pretty much better stats in every facet of the game and his primary role is an enforcer.

Thats not to mention guys like Clarkson who is clearly better, Chris Neil, or defenseman like Carkner or Engelland who are just as good as Ruslan Salei, if not better.

Maybe people should start looking at facts instead of assuming all enforcers cant play hockey or skate. Its called watching hockey, I guess some people don't watch they just read the boxscore see a fight and assume the guy isn't good at hockey. :rolleyes:

Good points.

Plenty of tough guys out there putting up as many numbers as 4th line non-fighters. If those non-fighters were so skilled, they'd be playing on the top 2 lines of their team.

I think the Wings could benefit from a 6'4 or 6'5 fourth liner, who can lay out some great bodychecks. Helm and Eaves will check, but they're not very big and don't really wear down the defense very well. Bigger forwards can do that over the course of a game or playoff series. We never seem to have 4th liners like that, and I'm not even talking about fighting yet.

Edited by GMRwings1983

Good points.

Plenty of tough guys out there putting up as many numbers as 4th line non-fighters. If those non-fighters were so skilled, they'd be playing on the top 2 lines of their team.

I think the Wings could benefit from a 6'4 or 6'5 fourth liner, who can lay out some great bodychecks. Helm and Eaves will check, but they're not very big and don't really wear down the defense very well. Bigger forwards can do that over the course of a game or playoff series. We never seem to have 4th liners like that, and I'm not even talking about fighting yet.

Brandon Prust has 15 points coming into tonight. He's scored 3 short-handed goals. so he can play the penalty kill, he'll fight anyone, and he'll chip in on offense. Who the hell would get rid of some small, soft player that has been playing under-par all year for someone like that?!?!? Chris Thorburn has 14 points playing on Atlanta's 4th line with Ben Eager and Eric Boulton..put him with Eaves and Helm or Miller and see the points pile up.. As mentioned in posts before, Zenon Konopka can play a regular shift, fight anyone, and put up a few points as well.

After watching almost every Bruins game this year, I would kill to have Shawn Thornton as a Wing. This year: 7 G, 2 A, +5, 86 hits according to TSN (http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=1314). The local sports talk station has him on every week; he is great, brings a great attitude and it looks to me like he does a lot to fire up his team and be a leader. It seems like most posters here would dismiss him as a meathead, though, because he will take on ANYONE in the league and frequently does. As far as skating, he kept up earlier this year with Campbell and Marchand fine, I thought, though I think playing him with Seguin as they're currently doing is somewhat of a waste. He would be fine with Abdelkader and Draper/Miller/whoever.

Other than that, I've made all my arguments before. This thread is actually mildly entertaining so far, actually, without devolving (yet). :P

As mentioned in posts before, Zenon Konopka can play a regular shift, fight anyone, and put up a few points as well.

Not to mention, was available this off-season. I knew it was unrealistic at the time, but I'm still a little sad the Wings didn't surprise us and pick him up.

After watching almost every Bruins game this year, I would kill to have Shawn Thornton as a Wing. This year: 7 G, 2 A, +5, 86 hits according to TSN (http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=1314). The local sports talk station has him on every week; he is great, brings a great attitude and it looks to me like he does a lot to fire up his team and be a leader. It seems like most posters here would dismiss him as a meathead, though, because he will take on ANYONE in the league and frequently does. As far as skating, he kept up earlier this year with Campbell and Marchand fine, I thought, though I think playing him with Seguin as they're currently doing is somewhat of a waste. He would be fine with Abdelkader and Draper/Miller/whoever.

Other than that, I've made all my arguments before. This thread is actually mildly entertaining so far, actually, without devolving (yet). :P

Not to mention, was available this off-season. I knew it was unrealistic at the time, but I'm still a little sad the Wings didn't surprise us and pick him up.

Plenty of these guys were naming off were available over the offseason.

I would be happy with an enforcer, but it's not the end of the world to me the Red Wings don't carry one.

They win hockey games. A lot of them. That's enough for me.

Winning is more fun when you can also punch people in the face.

Just ask the Pens and Flyers.

Again, if the Red Wings were to pick up a guy who scraps, he'd also have to put up some points/play well defensively. Someone like Brandon Prust would be perfect. Alternatively, Asham/Carcillo/Laperriere would work too.

Guest Shoreline

Hey guise the rediwngs have 500 cups they did lotsa fights didnt they? Why they not have anderson silva?? I thot the point of hockey was to fite more and not score more than ur oponent.

Edited by Shoreline

Guest Shoreline

What happened to the Kamelot avatar?

It wasn't tough enough.

Actually I had been using a quickman avatar for at least the last 6+ months? ;)

Hey guise the rediwngs have 500 cups they did lotsa fights didnt they? Why they not have anderson silva?? I thot the point of hockey was to fite more and not score more than ur oponent.

If the point of hockey is to score more goals then why not get rid of Miller for a guy like Prust? Prust is an enforcer and everyone calls fighters useless here.

So why then does everyone here think we should have Miller over Konopka, Prust or Thornton?

Guest Shoreline

If the point of hockey is to score more goals then why not get rid of Miller for a guy like Prust? Prust is an enforcer and everyone calls fighters useless here.

So why then does everyone here think we should have Miller over Konopka, Prust or Thornton?

I've always wondered myself why the advise of the thousands of Red Wing coaches on the forums here rarely ever seems to come to fruition. I just can't seem to put my finger on why. Anyhow, Red Wings sure could use a fighter like Charles Manson. He certainly could get the job done and help our team win.

Edited by Shoreline

I've always wondered myself why the advise of the thousands of Red Wing coaches on the forums here rarely ever seems to come to fruition. I just can't seem to put my finger on why. Anyhow, Red Wings sure could use a fighter like Charles Manson. He certainly could get the job done and help our team win.

Actually I was thinkng more along the lines of another useless pansee like Hudler, who loses puck battles in the corners, refuses to shoot the puck, doesn't finish his checks, doesn't drive to the net, and constantly gets knocked on his ass. He has been beyond a disappointment so far this year, but hey, he doesn't hit OR fight, so he must be more useful than one of those enforcurz. They're mean. Fighting is yucky and rude, and don't even get me started on finishing your checks.

Me too. Especially because the one red wing coach Mike Babcock has wanted a guy like that since he has been here and always talks about the worth of guys like that.

So can you please explain why you think Miller is a better player then Prust, Konopka, or Thornton? You really seemed to duck that question in your post