• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#41 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,691 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 07:50 PM

After watching almost every Bruins game this year, I would kill to have Shawn Thornton as a Wing. This year: 7 G, 2 A, +5, 86 hits according to TSN (http://www.tsn.ca/nh...rs/bio/?id=1314). The local sports talk station has him on every week; he is great, brings a great attitude and it looks to me like he does a lot to fire up his team and be a leader. It seems like most posters here would dismiss him as a meathead, though, because he will take on ANYONE in the league and frequently does. As far as skating, he kept up earlier this year with Campbell and Marchand fine, I thought, though I think playing him with Seguin as they're currently doing is somewhat of a waste. He would be fine with Abdelkader and Draper/Miller/whoever.

Other than that, I've made all my arguments before. This thread is actually mildly entertaining so far, actually, without devolving (yet). :P

Not to mention, was available this off-season. I knew it was unrealistic at the time, but I'm still a little sad the Wings didn't surprise us and pick him up.

Plenty of these guys were naming off were available over the offseason.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#42 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,275 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:35 PM

I would be happy with an enforcer, but it's not the end of the world to me the Red Wings don't carry one.

They win hockey games. A lot of them. That's enough for me.

Edited by GoWings1905, 05 January 2011 - 08:36 PM.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#43 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:36 PM

I would be happy with an enforcer, but it's not the end of the world to me the Red Wings don't carry one.

They win hockey games. A lot of them. That's enough for me.

Winning is more fun when you can also punch people in the face.

Just ask the Pens and Flyers.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#44 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,275 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:38 PM

Winning is more fun when you can also punch people in the face.

Just ask the Pens and Flyers.

I don't disagree with that, but it isn't the Red Wings style.

Whether that's right or wrong has been debated 8,789 times here already.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#45 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,641 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 09:22 PM

Again, if the Red Wings were to pick up a guy who scraps, he'd also have to put up some points/play well defensively. Someone like Brandon Prust would be perfect. Alternatively, Asham/Carcillo/Laperriere would work too.

#46 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 09:50 PM

Enforcers smell.

Yeah that's right I said it.....

#47 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:04 PM

Hey guise the rediwngs have 500 cups they did lotsa fights didnt they? Why they not have anderson silva?? I thot the point of hockey was to fite more and not score more than ur oponent.

Edited by Shoreline, 05 January 2011 - 10:05 PM.

#48 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:11 PM

Hey guise the rediwngs have 500 cups they did lotsa fights didnt they? Why they not have anderson silva?? I thot the point of hockey was to fite more and not score more than ur oponent.

What happened to the Kamelot avatar?
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#49 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:34 PM

What happened to the Kamelot avatar?

It wasn't tough enough.

Actually I had been using a quickman avatar for at least the last 6+ months? ;)

#50 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:50 PM

If the point of hockey is to score more goals then why not get rid of Miller for a guy like Prust? Prust is an enforcer and everyone calls fighters useless here.

So why then does everyone here think we should have Miller over Konopka, Prust or Thornton?

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#51 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:13 PM

If the point of hockey is to score more goals then why not get rid of Miller for a guy like Prust? Prust is an enforcer and everyone calls fighters useless here.

So why then does everyone here think we should have Miller over Konopka, Prust or Thornton?

I've always wondered myself why the advise of the thousands of Red Wing coaches on the forums here rarely ever seems to come to fruition. I just can't seem to put my finger on why. Anyhow, Red Wings sure could use a fighter like Charles Manson. He certainly could get the job done and help our team win.

Edited by Shoreline, 05 January 2011 - 11:22 PM.

#52 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,691 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:32 PM

I've always wondered myself why the advise of the thousands of Red Wing coaches on the forums here rarely ever seems to come to fruition. I just can't seem to put my finger on why. Anyhow, Red Wings sure could use a fighter like Charles Manson. He certainly could get the job done and help our team win.

Actually I was thinkng more along the lines of another useless pansee like Hudler, who loses puck battles in the corners, refuses to shoot the puck, doesn't finish his checks, doesn't drive to the net, and constantly gets knocked on his ass. He has been beyond a disappointment so far this year, but hey, he doesn't hit OR fight, so he must be more useful than one of those enforcurz. They're mean. Fighting is yucky and rude, and don't even get me started on finishing your checks.

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#53 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:57 PM

Ericsson's tough too. Ask Corry Perry's yappy ass.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#54 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 12:01 AM

Me too. Especially because the one red wing coach Mike Babcock has wanted a guy like that since he has been here and always talks about the worth of guys like that.

So can you please explain why you think Miller is a better player then Prust, Konopka, or Thornton? You really seemed to duck that question in your post

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#55 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 12:08 AM

How many times does this have to be said, we're keeping Miller to lure his brother here!

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#56 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 12:17 AM

In a scoring role Konopka was great in the AHL and in the playoffs. Miller and Konopka have played roughly the same amount of NHL games, but Miller has roughly twice as many points.

Konopka could be a 20 point guy for the Wings. But my wet dream is still Derek Dorsett.

I've mentioned it a couple times and I know a few of the fight slappies know I'm a pro skill guy, but I'd still take Derek Dorsett, or Konopka, or Jared Boll, or Engelland(over Salei), the crappy Thornton, or even Avery (The dude can put up points)
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#57 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,691 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 12:32 AM

In a scoring role Konopka was great in the AHL and in the playoffs. Miller and Konopka have played roughly the same amount of NHL games, but Miller has roughly twice as many points.

Konopka could be a 20 point guy for the Wings. But my wet dream is still Derek Dorsett.

I've mentioned it a couple times and I know a few of the fight slappies know I'm a pro skill guy, but I'd still take Derek Dorsett, or Konopka, or Jared Boll, or Engelland(over Salei), the crappy Thornton, or even Avery (The dude can put up points)

We've gone over this before :P Dorsett is gonna be a hell of a well-rounded player. Zenon Konopka, Jared Boll, Shawn Thornton,Chris Thorburn, Jason Chimera, Brad Winchester, Gregory Campbell, David Clarkson, Travis Moen, I mean the list goes on and on of guys that can do it all. Although he has calmed down since his days in Phoenix, Dan Carcillo is still a pain in the ass to play against. He's gonna be a free agent in the summer :thumbup: As far as defensemen go, I was surprised today when I was browsing TFP to see Detroit listed as one of the possible destinations for Steve Staios, which raises some questions about our defense pairings. TFP is usually pretty reliable, next to Eklund of course :P

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#58 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 01:34 AM

Youre pro skill but at least youre one of the few that recognize guys like Engelland are solid players. If Bring back the bruise bros, GMR, UK or myself to name a few suggested Engelland as good as Salei people here would be all up in arms saying we overvalue fighters and that he is actually useless.

I can't speak for everyone considered an enforcer slappy, but I am in the same boat as you. I dont want some meathead playing 5 minutes a game. I want guys like Dorsett added on the 4th line in place of Miller. Or a grittier guy added in place of Hudler.

Fighters are called useless but apparent "skilled" guys like Williams or Hudler always seem to be in this line up.

Adding a young guy could solve this problem for years. Matt Martin or Dorsett or Clarkson are all guys that could be acquired, help this team in more ways then these skilled guys seem to be signed every year.

These guys would be better then someone like Miller too and Draper as well.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#59 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 02:08 AM

Goalie thread --> Enforcer thread --> Goalie thread --> Enforcer thread --> Goalie thread --> Enforcer thread

And around and around we go.

blueadams feels left out.

Red wings really cannot afford an enforcer (cap space) unless it's a two-way contract player. I don't see many players jumping at playing on a two-way contract on a regular basis.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#60 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 02:19 AM

He lives!
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft