• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

THE ENFORCER24

Red Wings Tough Guy?

Rate this topic

Just admit you're anti-enforcer already, and then everyone will drop the subject.

About as big a secret as Elton John being ***.

I'm not. I do not hate the idea of having an enforcer on this team however I do not see the inherent need in acquiring one like you all do.

If Holland signed an enforcer or fighting type, I would have no problem and would look forward to how he gels with the team. Holland has not done so, but I will not be worried about the state of the team like you all are. I won't use my nostalgia of the late 90s teams to affect my perception of the Wings like you all do.

Perhaps that is why I am labeled as an anti-enforcer by you "experts".

Guest Shoreline

I'm not. I do not hate the idea of having an enforcer on this team however I do not see the inherent need in acquiring one like you all do.

If Holland signed an enforcer or fighting type, I would have no problem and would look forward to how he gels with the team. Holland has not done so, but I will not be worried about the state of the team like you all are. I won't use my nostalgia of the late 90s teams to affect my perception of the Wings like you all do.

Enforcer slappy and anti-enforcer pretty much sums up the "sides" that people are placed on. Reminds me heavily of the usual polarized political landscape here in the US.

How about Red Wing fan who supports whoever the f*** is on his team, enforcer or not? I've never once complained about an enforcer on this team (particularly for the fact that he's merely an enforcer) nor have I complained about one not being on this team. I've certainly enjoyed the energy and entertainment past enforcers brought this team, and some of my favorite moments include the times when fighting was higher, even though I realize the scrums between whistles and the fighting has little to do with victories (<- I guess this is where the macho men disagree with me, though pretty much never provide an original argument). What's funny to me is how there's a select number of fans who are never satisfied with the team they have, even when they find the team they supposedly cheer for above every single other team in terms of success in the last two decades.

It is actually possible to cheer for other teams in certain aspects when not cheering your own team on, especially if being gaga for enforcers and fighting your thing. It's dumb, however, to keep suggesting to a team that does fine without enforcers that this is something they need, just because they don't act out retribution for a cheap shot, big hit, or some between-the-whistles scrum that happens with any intense game. But whatever, even if this team carried one I still wouldn't care, as long as whatever he was brought to this team to do he does well and isn't a liability to this team winning. I'm pretty sure a more pragmatic approach though places me involuntarily on the side of "anti-enforcer". Too bad I don't give a crap about the label.

Edited by Shoreline

Enforcer slappy and anti-enforcer pretty much sums up the "sides" that people are placed on. Reminds me heavily of the usual polarized political landscape here in the US.

How about Red Wing fan who supports whoever the f*** is on his team, enforcer or not? I've never once complained about an enforcer on this team (particularly for the fact that he's merely an enforcer) nor have I complained about one not being on this team. I've certainly enjoyed the energy and entertainment past enforcers brought this team, and some of my favorite moments include the times when fighting was higher, even though I realize the scrums between whistles and the fighting has little to do with victories (<- I guess this is where the macho men disagree with me, though pretty much never provide an original argument). What's funny to me is how there's a select number of fans who are never satisfied with the team they have, even when they find the team they supposedly cheer for above every single other team in terms of success in the last two decades.

It is actually possible to cheer for other teams in certain aspects when not cheering your own team on, especially if being gaga for enforcers and fighting your thing. It's dumb, however, to keep suggesting to a team that does fine without enforcers that this is something they need, just because they don't act out retribution for a cheap shot, big hit, or some between-the-whistles scrum that happens with any intense game. But whatever, even if this team carried one I still wouldn't care, as long as whatever he was brought to this team to do he does well and isn't a liability to this team winning. I'm pretty sure a more pragmatic approach though places me involuntarily on the side of "anti-enforcer". Too bad I don't give a crap about the label.

And this is the problem like you've stated. We have a fair amount of people in here that seem to accept that there is a middle ground on this. Great if we have one, but they'll probably be all right without one and it's not going to ruin anybody's evening. Unfortunately, the extreme points of view on both sides are the loudest. And we've seen it on both sides were some are just extremely gung-ho about the subject, some thinking they are useless scrubs. I'll give the extremely gung-ho people that. However, the useless scrub side has become less existent in recent memory to me. Those people or that attitude just isn't highly present here anymore. Thus, you have the extremely gung-ho people still getting in a quandry. Sorry guys, I respect that you all are gung-ho about the subject, but the all or nothing approach or the "anti" label that you all like to throw on people just isn't there, or they aren't there.

The guy can play some hockey. Would be an interesting acquisition.

I wouldn't mind this at all. I'm sure we would lose a lot of fans on here though because the wings would have a guy that reaks of class and honour lol.

I even plus 1'ed this for giving me such a good laugh.

That gold star schtick didn't work out so now youre becoming a comedian lol? :thumbup:

That gold star schtick didn't work out so now youre becoming a comedian lol? :thumbup:

If you find a quote of mine that contradicts that statement I will eat my hat and post it on youtube.

Edited by Doc Holliday

I wouldn't mind this at all. I'm sure we would lose a lot of fans on here though because the wings would have a guy that reaks of class and honour lol.

As long as he can walk that line he usually walks, Ruutu is one of the biggest agitators in the league, but he can play some decent hockey. Don't wanna see him taking stupid penalties and putting us at a disadvantage.

If you find a quote of mine that contradicts that statement I will eat my hat and post it on youtube.

That you dont want the wings to have an enforcer or that they are pretty much useless? Lets give some Downey threads a look and we'll a nice hat getting munched on.

Seriously most of us have been posting here long enough to know how you feel about enforcers, give it a rest. We aren't dumb. Its fine if thats your opinion but when its being talked about you dont have to all of a sudden act like youre being crucified for being against fighters. YOU MAKE POSTS LIKE THAT ALL THE TIME THAT MAKE YOU SEEM ANTI-FIGHTER.

I dont even want a goon on this team like some on here but come on man, everyone who can read knows your opinion on this subject

As long as he can walk that line he usually walks, Ruutu is one of the biggest agitators in the league, but he can play some decent hockey. Don't wanna see him taking stupid penalties and putting us at a disadvantage.

Yeah he can be a physical guy even when he isn't agitating. He would add some nice size to our bottom 6 at about 6'2 2oo pounds I believe

This made me laugh because it's true. I think Ruutu would be an interesting acquisition, but it would be well worth it seeing the thread responses and watching people's heads explode because the Wings picked up someone that isn't exactly "classy."

This made me laugh because it's true. I think Ruutu would be an interesting acquisition, but it would be well worth it seeing the thread responses and watching people's heads explode because the Wings picked up someone that isn't exactly "classy."

Chelios wasn't exactly known for his class when we picked him up... that was a tough pill to swallow for all, or at least most, at first. He had himself a pretty good career here in Detroit

That you dont want the wings to have an enforcer or that they are pretty much useless? Lets give some Downey threads a look and we'll a nice hat getting munched on.

Well good luck with finding a post that says I hate the idea of having an enforcer.

Seriously most of us have been posting here long enough to know how you feel about enforcers, give it a rest. We aren't dumb. Its fine if thats your opinion but when its being talked about you dont have to all of a sudden act like youre being crucified for being against fighters. YOU MAKE POSTS LIKE THAT ALL THE TIME THAT MAKE YOU SEEM ANTI-FIGHTER.

Bring them up, detective.

I dont even want a goon on this team like some on here but come on man, everyone who can read knows your opinion on this subject

If everyone "knows" then it wouldn't be too hard to find something that proves it.

Or maybe the majority of the "pro-enforcer" crowd seems to misinterpret most people's opinions that do not agree with theirs as "anti-fighter". No, can't be that.

Or maybe the majority of the "pro-enforcer" crowd seems to misinterpret most people's opinions that do not agree with theirs as "anti-fighter". No, can't be that.

No like I said we're not stupid. There are plenty of posters on here who maybe dont want a fighter but would be okay with adding a guy like Konopka for example. Or having a tough guy.

Guys like Titanium or Konnan for example. You like I said, come across as the biggest anti fighter on this board and to try and make me find posts to prove it is ridiculous. everyone here knows it, I'm not wasting my time digging through your old posts.

Why don't you find a post you've made in an enforcer thread that makes it seem like youre open to the idea and then I'll waste my time finding some where you made it clear youre against them.

No like I said we're not stupid. There are plenty of posters on here who maybe dont want a fighter but would be okay with adding a guy like Konopka for example. Or having a tough guy.

Guys like Titanium or Konnan for example. You like I said, come across as the biggest anti fighter on this board and to try and make me find posts to prove it is ridiculous. everyone here knows it, I'm not wasting my time digging through your old posts.

Why don't you find a post you've made in an enforcer thread that makes it seem like youre open to the idea and then I'll waste my time finding some where you made it clear youre against them.

I honestly don't even know how to search for posts.

Doesn't seem like something that is easy or time saving. Nice bluff by Doc Holliday there. Like anyone will wade through thousands of posts just to find something.

Edited by GMRwings1983

I have always been curious as to the need to have one. If one was in the lineup I wouldn't consider it a vast improvement but wouldn't attack Holland for it. That has always been my position.

Then don't peg me as something you don't have s*** to back it up with.

Argue the post, not the poster.

Depends on what you mean by open. I tend to argue against the idea that "we gotta get this guy now!" that a lot of enforcer threads are based on. That in and of itself doesn't magically make me hate enforcers.

GMR: it should take you no time at all considering I am "the biggest anti-fighting poster" here according to some people.

If you want my philosiphy on the need for an enforcer, check my first post in this thread. We have players that grind and bump and provide energy. We don't NEED one guy who will fight.

Edited by Doc Holliday

I don't care if a guy fights or not. I just want a guy that isn't one dimensional. If he can fight and play defense, awesome. If he can fight and play offense, awesome. If he can fight and do both, sweet. If he just fights, pass. If he just plays offense, pass. If he just plays defense, pass.

Anti-Enforcer/Pro-Enforcer = False Dilemma

I don't care if a guy fights or not. I just want a guy that isn't one dimensional. If he can fight and play defense, awesome. If he can fight and play offense, awesome. If he can fight and do both, sweet. If he just fights, pass. If he just plays offense, pass. If he just plays defense, pass.

Anti-Enforcer/Pro-Enforcer = False Dilemma

What about Hudler?