• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wingslogo19

WJC Gold Medal game

Rate this topic

Fixed it for yah.

Canada and Russia/USSR have the same amount of golds at the olympics. I'd say that makes them equals. Plus Russia/USSR have more golds at the World Championships than Canada. Except Canada does hold the slight edge in WJC championships over Russia/USSR.

I say it's debatable to who owns at hockey.

Finally an American who doesn't just say youre arrogant and has an argument.

While these are good points, Russia sent professionals to every olympics while no other country could until 1998 in Nagano. Since Nagano Canada has 50% of the gold medals.

For the worlds, russia has the KHL where some great players play and can all be sent. Canada's best forward usually sent to the worlds is Shane Doan and usually another player of around that calibre. Russia sends most of their best players to that tourney.

With a level playing field in the juniors (not even that fair) and olympics, Canada has the edge in my mind by quite a bit

Guest Howard He Do It?!

Yeah theres 3 pages in here of Americans saying "Oh I'm glad those arrogant Canadians lost". But yeah as soon as I make a statement about why Canadians should in fact expect their teams to win every tournament, all you have to say is come off it.

So now tell me why exactly Canadians are arrogant for expecting to win when they enter these tournaments? Until then youre just an arrogant American jealous that Canadians are consistently a favourite in every IIHF tournament.

It's arrogant to believe that someone is jealous that Canadian teams are considered a favorite in IIHF tournaments simply because you do. "I think we are better and you should too, otherwise you are dumb and arrogant."

Fixed it for yah.

Canada and Russia/USSR have the same amount of golds at the olympics. I'd say that makes them equals. Plus Russia/USSR have more golds at the World Championships than Canada. Except Canada does hold the slight edge in WJC championships over Russia/USSR.

wrong.. go re-calculate with Mens and Womens Gold's. :thumbup:

Guest Howard He Do It?!

wrong.. go re-calculate with Mens and Womens Gold's. :thumbup:

Women's hockey is the be all, end all of this argument. Pack it up folks. Class dismissed.

Guest screwdahawks

ROTFLMAO check it out, the TSN site doesn't have even one article about the Russians BEATING the Canadians. Not one, zero, zilch, zip, nada, NOTHING. :rotflmao:

p.s. But when Canada wins, my god, IT"S EVERYWHERE.

Edited by screwdahawks

Women's hockey is the be all, end all of this argument. Pack it up folks. Class dismissed.

yea, of course they wouldn't count... :rolleyes:

ROTFLMAO check it out, the TSN site doesn't have even one article about the Russians BEATING the Canadians. Not one, zero, zilch, zip, nada, NOTHING. :rotflmao:

it is, but theres no need to anyways its all over the front page of every newspaper across the country

Guest Howard He Do It?!

yea, of course they wouldn't count... :rolleyes:

it is, but theres no need to anyways its all over the front page of every newspaper across the country

That doesn't matter. TSN is the major sports network in Canada and they should be covering the loss, as they are, despite the fact that every newspaper is. To not is irresponsible.

That doesn't matter. TSN is the major sports network in Canada and they should be covering the loss, as they are, despite the fact that every newspaper is. To not is irresponsible.

They are, its on there page. its been on TV all day too.. Mckenzie and McGuire.

anyways... throw back time...

"Let it go"

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Edited by darkmanx

I never argued that the US produced more top-end hockey players than Canada. I don't think anyone did. I think the argument is centered around the fact that some people believe that Canada owns hockey because they invented it and produce more top-end players. Can you really take ownership of a sport?

I think we're both missing each others' points. I agree with what you're saying about "owning" a sport, but I also believe countries are far superior at certain sports than others. That's my point.

Guest Howard He Do It?!

They are, its on there page. its been on TV all day too.. Mckenzie and McGuire.

I know it's on there. I posted a link to it.

Guest Howard He Do It?!

Looks like we got a "My country's penis is bigger than yours" discussion going on.

The US has Florida. We win!! Suck it Canada!!

Fixed it for yah.

When you are talking about best on best, Canada leads the way by quite a bit. It's only be recently that Canada has been able to send it's best players to the Olympics, while Russia/USSR has pretty much always done so, other than perhaps for the 1994 Olympics (Russia didn't medal, Canada won silver).

This was Team Canada's 1994 Olympic roster:

Mark Astley

Adrian Aucoin

David Harlock

Corey Hirsch

Todd Hlushko

Greg Johnson

Fabian Joseph

Paul Kariya - 19 years old, before he made the NHL

Chris Kontos

Manny Legacé

Ken Lovsin

Derek Mayer

Petr Nedvěd

Dwayne Norris

Greg Parks

Allain Roy

Jean-Yves Roy

Brian Savage

Brad Schlegel

Wally Schreiber

Chris Therien

Todd Warriner

Brad Werenka

Same goes for the World Championships.

f*** yea, America! Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I think the word 'arrogant' has lost all meaning in this thread.

3. So you are saying it is a Canadian sport? Well why are Canadians arrogant for saying it but you turn around and say it too? A little weird to complain Canadians say it is their sport then you just repeat what they say isn't it?

It's a Canadian sport, as in, that is where it came from, not as in, hockey is Canada's sport and should win every tournament because of it. As stated, Canada does not own hockey. It's like there is zero recognition that hockey is played in the USA as well.

4. Why shouldn't Canadians think they should win? I didn't think they would win this year but I dont see why others shouldn't? We won 5 world juniors in a row and only one time sent our best possible team, have 2 olympic golds the last 3 olympics and have the most world junior championships.

I dont see how Americans dont think Canadians have a sense that when we go into a tournament we should win? Yeah every now and then they lose, but that happens in every sport. The Wings lost in 09, does that make the pens the best team of the last 20 years?

I think you worded that wrong, because I do in fact think you have that sense. In the end, my opinion is that its okay to believe that your team is better and is capable of winning a tournament. At no time should you believe you are entitled to win. This entitlement seems to stem around Canadians believing they once again, own hockey.

Canada does have more players in the NHL, they are a hot bed for hockey talent, we know this, I don't believe anyone ever refuted that fact or said the USA has more players or better talent. Do you really expect Texas (or California) to produce top-notch hockey players with all the ice they have? How much of Canada is not covered with ice? I think this whole view would go away if Canadians would sit back for a second and acknowledge that there is some form of hockey talent coming from the USA. It would at least from my view point, but all I ever see if "Hockey is a Canadian sport" banter.

So now tell me why exactly Canadians are arrogant for expecting to win when they enter these tournaments? Until then youre just an arrogant American jealous that Canadians are consistently a favourite in every IIHF tournament.

Finger pointing contest is why I told you to come off it. Continuing an argument of a mere statement of me saying "Canadians are the worst winners, losers when it comes to hockey there is."

Period. Nothing more nothing less. The proof is in your and most Canadians that post in here. Some are rational and say "Wow, we really just tanked that game. Russia was better." so on

I am not here to try and say in any way that the states are any better at hockey. Not even close! I am going to go back to, if you go ahead and watch a broadcast of CBC and Don Cherry consistently nut grabbing a Canadian "kid" who does things the "right way" and is just about as ignorant and somehow the "voice" of your native sport, then you give me another example of where I am wrong. This isn't a "USA is sooooo great we never ***** and moan and yada yada." I mean obviously that is what we are like. So I get the anger when I state that but it is true. Canadians cry and moan about a loss worse than anyone I can think of and stick it to people when they win anything. The inferiority complex is really the most comical part.

Edited by HankthaTank

Attempting to explain to me that Canada SHOULD clearly win every hockey tournament is just preposterous and sort of proves the whole point right there. Now go ahead and surgically attempt to tell me that Canada is not arrogant for just stating they are the best, but to tell ya the truth. COME OFF IT!

It is how it is said and in the manner that is presented is what makes it "cocky, arrogant" and everything I have already brought to the table.

rolleyes.gif geeeezzzzz. Being butthurt about losing last night really can't turn you into this newfy. You are a better poster than this.

Twisting the s*** out of what I have been saying is really all I have got from what your arguments have attempted. I guess that is where this has gone awry.

Edited by HankthaTank

As I said in another thread, I didn't have much of a vested interest in this tournament as a Canadian, but rather as a fan of Red Wings prospects. However, the fact that it's being pointed out that Canadians have a superiority complex is baffling to me. A good majority of the people on this website have a superiority complex; we're Red Wings fans. When Canada beat the USA the other day, someone posted "This is ridiculous. America shouldn't lose in any sport, ever"... or something along those lines.

The fact is, out of 35 gold medals awarded, Canada has won 15 of them. In the last 6 tournaments, they won the gold 4 times. To expect Canada to win the tournament isn't a matter of superiority, it's a matter of probability. I see the same attitude with the USA when it comes to the Olympics.

Why don't we all just get back to cheering on the Red Wings? ;)

Edited by Jesusberg