• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wingslogo19

WJC Gold Medal game

Rate this topic

"They were definitely intoxicated, that's for sure," bus driver Curtis Hall, who drove the Russians to the airport, told The Buffalo News. "They were so drunk they had to carry a couple of the guys onto the bus."

That is awesome. Makes for a horrible travel day, though.

EDIT: Oh, I guess they are leaving tomorrow morning now. Still epic.

Edited by rrasco

I've had a chance to think...

I didn't watch the game, even though I'm Canadian I try and distance myself from Canadian hockey fans. I find when it comes to Hockey, Canadians are like girls in the 1960's when it came to the Beatles, they go crazy, and some even lose their composure!

I saw the highlights, and I'm wondering if the Canadian fans are as much to blame as everyone else associated with team Canada for this collapse? Correct me if I'm wrong, but after the 3rd Canadian goal, it looked like the victory party began and the fans forgot there was still 20 minutes left to play. Being only 18 and 19 years old, I'm wondering if the players let the fans influence them thinking the gold medal was won?

I'm wondering too if the Russian players were being taunted by Canadian fans? I heard some of the Russian players were "giving it" back to the fans when they made their comeback. I'm wondering too if their manhood was being question by Canadian fans, and they responded.

I like loud fans, but sometimes I think they can have a negative effect on a game because they can lose their composure, become obnoxious, and can give the opposition more intensive to win.

"They were definitely intoxicated, that's for sure," bus driver Curtis Hall, who drove the Russians to the airport, told The Buffalo News. "They were so drunk they had to carry a couple of the guys onto the bus."

I heard the flight was for 6:15am, so what did they expect? I bet none of these guys went to bed, they were still partying! At least book the flight for the afternoon where everyone will recovering from their hangover.

Attempting to explain to me that Canada SHOULD clearly win every hockey tournament is just preposterous and sort of proves the whole point right there. Now go ahead and surgically attempt to tell me that Canada is not arrogant for just stating they are the best, but to tell ya the truth. COME OFF IT!

It is how it is said and in the manner that is presented is what makes it "cocky, arrogant" and everything I have already brought to the table.

rolleyes.gif geeeezzzzz. Being butthurt about losing last night really can't turn you into this newfy. You are a better poster than this.

Twisting the s*** out of what I have been saying is really all I have got from what your arguments have attempted. I guess that is where this has gone awry.

No its not that we should clearly win every tournament. But what I dont get is why Canadians are considered arrogant for thinking they should win most hockey tournaments they enter. Look at the stats.

Its been said in this thread, look at all the wins Canada has compared to other countries, they won 5 world juniors in a row and then Canadians get called arrogant for expected to win the tournament.

If the states won 5 in a row you guys wouldn't go into the next tournament expecting to win? The states won last year and most Americans thought they had this tourney pretty well in the bag.

I have never said canada should win every tournament because we own the sport or anything like that. But I do expect them to finish well and anything that is less then gold is a disappointment because of their track ercord in these tourneys.

Canadians should not be called arrogant for expecting to win gold every tournament or at least medal. Canadians expect it because they usually do in fact medal.

This is why I dont get the whole Canadians are arrogant thing, what is arrogant about expecting to win because you usually do?

Its just annoying constantly hearing oh those arrogant Canadians and frustrating when they usually do. Leading into Vancouver Canadians thought we were gonna win and were called arrogant for thinking that, but then we won. So is it arrogant or just maybe Canadian teams do in fact do pretty well most tourneys

Good points but.....

I stated that it was the MANNER of how the arrogance is portrayed. Sure, Americans are pretty much dickheads with sports, and well being a Wings fan I am glad to at least be a knowledgeable dickhead when it comes to down to discussions. But I am not in anyway saying a Canadian can't be confident as it is understood that hockey is a religion there and most, if not many of the best players in the world start there. I have quite a few buddies from Canada and known others that played with another buddy of mine in college. It is HOW they talk and react after losing that creates this persona. Being the best has its downfalls. Where in my posts have I gone away from this?

Atlanta Thrashers' forward Evander Kane, who captured gold for Canada in the tournament in 2009 and could have participated in this tournament if not for his professional responsibilities, appeared to have his night all planned out of watching the game and celebrating a Canadian victory afterwards. But following the loss, Kane posted the following message on his personal Twitter account (@EKaneATL9):

"This is a National Travesty," he texted.

Wow...

TSN story

Biz Nasty's comment at the bottom laugh.giflaugh.gif

Edited by HankthaTank

Good points but.....

I stated that it was the MANNER of how the arrogance is portrayed. Sure, Americans are pretty much dickheads with sports, and well being a Wings fan I am glad to at least be a knowledgeable dickhead when it comes to down to discussions. But I am not in anyway saying a Canadian can't be confident as it is understood that hockey is a religion there and most, if not many of the best players in the world start there. I have quite a few buddies from Canada and known others that played with another buddy of mine in college. It is HOW they talk and react after losing that creates this persona. Being the best has its downfalls. Where in my posts have I gone away from this?

Fair enough, luckily there isn't another world junior for another year so we wont have this argument for a while again haha.

And my posts were not directly pointed at you. You and Konnan were a couple fo the only ones that explained your stance and it is refreshing to hear it, instead of the usual LGW bulls*** of oh theyre arrogant and cocky, but as soon as I bring up valid points, no one seems to fast to counter them except for you.

I personally expect Canada to medal in every hockey tournament they play in. These expectations I'm sure are not off and I dont think it is arrogant to think so.

This is one last point I want to clear up, Canadians dont think they own hockey. Canadians think they are the best at it, and I dont think this statement is wrong over the course of time. Same with football in the states, Lacrosse in Canada, Brazil in soccer etc. Certain countries are just dominant in certain sports and Canada is the country that dominates hockey the most.

Fair enough, luckily there isn't another world junior for another year so we wont have this argument for a while again haha.

Thank God lol...

WJC is always fun regardless to me. I get a kick out of razzing my Canadian brethren here and there. Hockey unites us!

laugh.gif OK no it doesn't but whatever LGW!

This is one last point I want to clear up, Canadians dont think they own hockey. Canadians think they are the best at it, and I dont think this statement is wrong over the course of time. Same with football in the states, Lacrosse in Canada, Brazil in soccer etc. Certain countries are just dominant in certain sports and Canada is the country that dominates hockey the most.

Oh so now you think you're the best at lacrosse, too? :hehe:

No its not that we should clearly win every tournament. But what I dont get is why Canadians are considered arrogant for thinking they should win most hockey tournaments they enter. Look at the stats.

Its been said in this thread, look at all the wins Canada has compared to other countries, they won 5 world juniors in a row and then Canadians get called arrogant for expected to win the tournament.

If the states won 5 in a row you guys wouldn't go into the next tournament expecting to win? The states won last year and most Americans thought they had this tourney pretty well in the bag.

I have never said canada should win every tournament because we own the sport or anything like that. But I do expect them to finish well and anything that is less then gold is a disappointment because of their track ercord in these tourneys.

Canadians should not be called arrogant for expecting to win gold every tournament or at least medal. Canadians expect it because they usually do in fact medal.

This is why I dont get the whole Canadians are arrogant thing, what is arrogant about expecting to win because you usually do?

Its just annoying constantly hearing oh those arrogant Canadians and frustrating when they usually do. Leading into Vancouver Canadians thought we were gonna win and were called arrogant for thinking that, but then we won. So is it arrogant or just maybe Canadian teams do in fact do pretty well most tourneys

I just couldn't resist. I'd never have thought that I would need to explain to a Canadian (them being known as humble polite self-effacing chaps, usually) that saying "we should win this tourney" IS arrogant, while saying "we think we have a good chance to win this tourney" is polite and doesn't raise everyone elses' hackles.

It's not arrogant to believe that you'll win.

It IS arrogant to say that publically before the fact. /end etiquet lesson :P

Finally an American who doesn't just say youre arrogant and has an argument.

While these are good points, Russia sent professionals to every olympics while no other country could until 1998 in Nagano. Since Nagano Canada has 50% of the gold medals.

For the worlds, russia has the KHL where some great players play and can all be sent. Canada's best forward usually sent to the worlds is Shane Doan and usually another player of around that calibre. Russia sends most of their best players to that tourney.

With a level playing field in the juniors (not even that fair) and olympics, Canada has the edge in my mind by quite a bit

Really, no one outside Canada really cares how the Canadian team is selected. Whatever the excuses, the team in the OG or WC is the best team Canada managed to assemble at that time. So when they win, credit goes to them, and when they lose, credit goes to the winners.

If hockey actually is a religion in Canada, then I don't understand why the NHL stops for Christmas and not for the WC or WJC . :P

I just couldn't resist. I'd never have thought that I would need to explain to a Canadian (them being known as humble polite self-effacing chaps, usually) that saying "we should win this tourney" IS arrogant, while saying "we think we have a good chance to win this tourney" is polite and doesn't raise everyone elses' hackles.

It's not arrogant to believe that you'll win.

It IS arrogant to say that publically before the fact. /end etiquet lesson :P

You honestly think over the last few years it is arrogant of a Canadian to say we should probably win this world junior?

Last 7 years 5 gold, 1 silver where they lost by a goal and 1 silver where they lost by 2 goals. That isn't arrogance that is probability. Why is this so hard to understand for some people. How can you not say looking at those stats that Canada should win the tournament and are favourites to win? Am I missing something here?

You honestly think over the last few years it is arrogant of a Canadian to say we should probably win this world junior?

Last 7 years 5 gold, 1 silver where they lost by a goal and 1 silver where they lost by 2 goals. That isn't arrogance that is probability. Why is this so hard to understand for some people. How can you not say looking at those stats that Canada should win the tournament and are favourites to win? Am I missing something here?

FWIW I think everyone is going overkill with this business, but simply put: conveying probability = "we will probably win"; conveying entitlement = "we should win"; conveying arrogance = "we will win". I don't believe the people speaking the words put as much meaning in them as the people hearing them.

Edited by kook_10

Again, Canadians have all the reasons in the world to THINK that they'll win. But what comes across as arrogant, is SAYING so ALOUD before the tournament even starts. Or even worse saying so after having lost

Basic Sportsmanship 101: Be humble, do not toot your own horn, do not brag BEFORE the game, just humbly accept praise AFTER you've actually won.

And yes, I was slightly embarassed by all the goings on after the Russian win. But they are still kids and they did just pulled a miracle. So they get a pass from me for that.

I said it last year, and I'll say it again this year. As a canadian, I really can't put too much stock into what our junior team does at this tournament. Recent trends have a lot of NHL teams carrying 18 and 19 year old players on thier rosters throughout the year, instead of keeping them down to develop.

Look at some of the players that we could have had in the lineup.

Matt Duchene (19) - One of colorado's Top Offensive players.

John Tavares (19) - How good would he have been in this tournament?

Taylor Hall (18) - Busy leading his team in goals in the NHL

Evander Kane (19) - Scoring Goals at the NHL level.

Ryan O'Reily (19) played 81 games for the Avalanche last year,

Tyler Seguin (18) 2nd overall pick, Playing full time For the Bruins

Brandon Gormley, (18) Defenceman, Injured.

Jeff Skinner (18) Just leading NHL rookies in Scoring right now. No big deal, woulnd't have helped much....right?

This year's team was incredibly deep on the Blueline. We lost a player that would have made the team, and been one of the top 2 D-men with Ryan Ellis, but was injured.

Other than that, Canada's forwards would have been

E.Kane - Tavares - Hall

O'Reiley - Seguin - Skinner

Duchene - B.Schenn - Ryan Johanson

Curtis Hamilton - Connolly - Kassian

2 of the players that made the WJC all star team, would have been 3rd liners. only 5 of our forwards would have made the team. Our 2nd leading goal scorer would have been on the 4th line. In a true under 20 tournament, there's no question, we would have won every game by 4-5 goals. I'd have the same reaction had we won the tournament.

Russia's top under 20 players were in the tournament, scoring goals, making a great comeback. Over half of Canada's best players under 20 were playing in the NHL that week. take a look at the 09 draft. Canada's first round players are in the NHL. This Team is made up mostly of canadian players that were taken in rounds 3-5.

Who has the Best hockey talent under 20 in the world? Canada. It can't be argued. This is just an entertaining little tournament that we have fun watching for a week, during the holidays, and get a chance to see next years rookies, all performing on the same stage. I really hardly put any importance into who wins or loses these.

The only other team that can make a claim to be missing several NHL caliber players is Sweden. But not as many, and not to the same Caliber as Canada.

I said it last year, and I'll say it again this year. As a canadian, I really can't put too much stock into what our junior team does at this tournament. Recent trends have a lot of NHL teams carrying 18 and 19 year old players on thier rosters throughout the year, instead of keeping them down to develop.

Look at some of the players that we could have had in the lineup.

Matt Duchene (19) - One of colorado's Top Offensive players.

John Tavares (19) - How good would he have been in this tournament?

Taylor Hall (18) - Busy leading his team in goals in the NHL

Evander Kane (19) - Scoring Goals at the NHL level.

Ryan O'Reily (19) played 81 games for the Avalanche last year,

Tyler Seguin (18) 2nd overall pick, Playing full time For the Bruins

Brandon Gormley, (18) Defenceman, Injured.

Jeff Skinner (18) Just leading NHL rookies in Scoring right now. No big deal, woulnd't have helped much....right?

This year's team was incredibly deep on the Blueline. We lost a player that would have made the team, and been one of the top 2 D-men with Ryan Ellis, but was injured.

Other than that, Canada's forwards would have been

E.Kane - Tavares - Hall

O'Reiley - Seguin - Skinner

Duchene - B.Schenn - Ryan Johanson

Curtis Hamilton - Connolly - Kassian

2 of the players that made the WJC all star team, would have been 3rd liners. only 5 of our forwards would have made the team. Our 2nd leading goal scorer would have been on the 4th line. In a true under 20 tournament, there's no question, we would have won every game by 4-5 goals. I'd have the same reaction had we won the tournament.

Russia's top under 20 players were in the tournament, scoring goals, making a great comeback. Over half of Canada's best players under 20 were playing in the NHL that week. take a look at the 09 draft. Canada's first round players are in the NHL. This Team is made up mostly of canadian players that were taken in rounds 3-5.

Who has the Best hockey talent under 20 in the world? Canada. It can't be argued. This is just an entertaining little tournament that we have fun watching for a week, during the holidays, and get a chance to see next years rookies, all performing on the same stage. I really hardly put any importance into who wins or loses these.

The only other team that can make a claim to be missing several NHL caliber players is Sweden. But not as many, and not to the same Caliber as Canada.

What happened to the usual Canadian mantra of "we could have put 3 equally good teams on the ice"? :P

Save the ifs and the buts for NHL2011 on the XBox.

Canada sent the team it did, that team was very good, good enough to dominate Russia for 1 1/2 games. The reason they lost wasn't lack of talent. In Quebec Sr Canadian WC team laid almost as big an egg leading by 2 goals and losing in the final.

You lost. Deal with it. I can respect a Canadian saying: "We'll get you next year". And you quite likely will. But quit this excuse-mongering.

You send the best team you can to every tournament. Other countries have their own problems, and they send the best teams they can. The very best team at that moment in time is the one who won gold. By the time the next tournament rolls along, everyone starts from the same level again. C'est la vie.