180 replies to this topic

#141 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,460 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 02:34 PM

Fixed it for yah.

Canada and Russia/USSR have the same amount of golds at the olympics. I'd say that makes them equals. Plus Russia/USSR have more golds at the World Championships than Canada. Except Canada does hold the slight edge in WJC championships over Russia/USSR.

I say it's debatable to who owns at hockey.

When you are talking about best on best, Canada leads the way by quite a bit. It's only be recently that Canada has been able to send it's best players to the Olympics, while Russia/USSR has pretty much always done so, other than perhaps for the 1994 Olympics (Russia didn't medal, Canada won silver).

This was Team Canada's 1994 Olympic roster:

Mark Astley
Adrian Aucoin
David Harlock
Corey Hirsch
Todd Hlushko
Greg Johnson
Fabian Joseph
Paul Kariya - 19 years old, before he made the NHL
Chris Kontos
Manny LegacÚ
Ken Lovsin
Derek Mayer
Petr Nedvěd
Dwayne Norris
Greg Parks
Allain Roy
Jean-Yves Roy
Brian Savage
Brad Schlegel
Wally Schreiber
Chris Therien
Todd Warriner
Brad Werenka

Same goes for the World Championships.

#142 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 02:41 PM

f*** yea, America! Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I think the word 'arrogant' has lost all meaning in this thread.

3. So you are saying it is a Canadian sport? Well why are Canadians arrogant for saying it but you turn around and say it too? A little weird to complain Canadians say it is their sport then you just repeat what they say isn't it?

It's a Canadian sport, as in, that is where it came from, not as in, hockey is Canada's sport and should win every tournament because of it. As stated, Canada does not own hockey. It's like there is zero recognition that hockey is played in the USA as well.

4. Why shouldn't Canadians think they should win? I didn't think they would win this year but I dont see why others shouldn't? We won 5 world juniors in a row and only one time sent our best possible team, have 2 olympic golds the last 3 olympics and have the most world junior championships.

I dont see how Americans dont think Canadians have a sense that when we go into a tournament we should win? Yeah every now and then they lose, but that happens in every sport. The Wings lost in 09, does that make the pens the best team of the last 20 years?

I think you worded that wrong, because I do in fact think you have that sense. In the end, my opinion is that its okay to believe that your team is better and is capable of winning a tournament. At no time should you believe you are entitled to win. This entitlement seems to stem around Canadians believing they once again, own hockey.

Canada does have more players in the NHL, they are a hot bed for hockey talent, we know this, I don't believe anyone ever refuted that fact or said the USA has more players or better talent. Do you really expect Texas (or California) to produce top-notch hockey players with all the ice they have? How much of Canada is not covered with ice? I think this whole view would go away if Canadians would sit back for a second and acknowledge that there is some form of hockey talent coming from the USA. It would at least from my view point, but all I ever see if "Hockey is a Canadian sport" banter.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#143 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 02:55 PM

So now tell me why exactly Canadians are arrogant for expecting to win when they enter these tournaments? Until then youre just an arrogant American jealous that Canadians are consistently a favourite in every IIHF tournament.

Finger pointing contest is why I told you to come off it. Continuing an argument of a mere statement of me saying "Canadians are the worst winners, losers when it comes to hockey there is."

Period. Nothing more nothing less. The proof is in your and most Canadians that post in here. Some are rational and say "Wow, we really just tanked that game. Russia was better." so on

I am not here to try and say in any way that the states are any better at hockey. Not even close! I am going to go back to, if you go ahead and watch a broadcast of CBC and Don Cherry consistently nut grabbing a Canadian "kid" who does things the "right way" and is just about as ignorant and somehow the "voice" of your native sport, then you give me another example of where I am wrong. This isn't a "USA is sooooo great we never ***** and moan and yada yada." I mean obviously that is what we are like. So I get the anger when I state that but it is true. Canadians cry and moan about a loss worse than anyone I can think of and stick it to people when they win anything. The inferiority complex is really the most comical part.

Edited by HankthaTank, 06 January 2011 - 03:11 PM.

TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#144 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 03:01 PM

Attempting to explain to me that Canada SHOULD clearly win every hockey tournament is just preposterous and sort of proves the whole point right there. Now go ahead and surgically attempt to tell me that Canada is not arrogant for just stating they are the best, but to tell ya the truth. COME OFF IT!

It is how it is said and in the manner that is presented is what makes it "cocky, arrogant" and everything I have already brought to the table.

Posted Image geeeezzzzz. Being butthurt about losing last night really can't turn you into this newfy. You are a better poster than this.

Twisting the s*** out of what I have been saying is really all I have got from what your arguments have attempted. I guess that is where this has gone awry.

Edited by HankthaTank, 06 January 2011 - 03:17 PM.

#145 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 03:08 PM

All four wheels and the spare fell off last night.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#146 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 03:26 PM

wrong.. go re-calculate with Mens and Womens Gold's. :thumbup:

What's this? Women can't play hockey, their feet are too small.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#147 Esquire

Esquire

Fix up, Look sharp.

• HoF Booster
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 03:40 PM

Well played Russia. See you in Calgary/Edmonton.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#148 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 04:04 PM

As I said in another thread, I didn't have much of a vested interest in this tournament as a Canadian, but rather as a fan of Red Wings prospects. However, the fact that it's being pointed out that Canadians have a superiority complex is baffling to me. A good majority of the people on this website have a superiority complex; we're Red Wings fans. When Canada beat the USA the other day, someone posted "This is ridiculous. America shouldn't lose in any sport, ever"... or something along those lines.

The fact is, out of 35 gold medals awarded, Canada has won 15 of them. In the last 6 tournaments, they won the gold 4 times. To expect Canada to win the tournament isn't a matter of superiority, it's a matter of probability. I see the same attitude with the USA when it comes to the Olympics.

Why don't we all just get back to cheering on the Red Wings? ;)

Edited by Jesusberg, 06 January 2011 - 04:07 PM.

#149 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 04:05 PM

All work and no Wings hockey makes rrasco go crazy

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#150 Esquire

Esquire

Fix up, Look sharp.

• HoF Booster
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 04:07 PM

Why don't we all just get back to cheering on the Red Wings? ;)

Because this is the interwebz and there are arguements to be won dammit!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#151 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 04:45 PM

"They were definitely intoxicated, that's for sure," bus driver Curtis Hall, who drove the Russians to the airport, told The Buffalo News. "They were so drunk they had to carry a couple of the guys onto the bus."

Epic after party celebration.

#152 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 04:54 PM

"They were definitely intoxicated, that's for sure," bus driver Curtis Hall, who drove the Russians to the airport, told The Buffalo News. "They were so drunk they had to carry a couple of the guys onto the bus."

That is awesome. Makes for a horrible travel day, though.

EDIT: Oh, I guess they are leaving tomorrow morning now. Still epic.

Edited by rrasco, 06 January 2011 - 04:59 PM.

#153 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,919 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 04:59 PM

I've had a chance to think...

I didn't watch the game, even though I'm Canadian I try and distance myself from Canadian hockey fans. I find when it comes to Hockey, Canadians are like girls in the 1960's when it came to the Beatles, they go crazy, and some even lose their composure!

I saw the highlights, and I'm wondering if the Canadian fans are as much to blame as everyone else associated with team Canada for this collapse? Correct me if I'm wrong, but after the 3rd Canadian goal, it looked like the victory party began and the fans forgot there was still 20 minutes left to play. Being only 18 and 19 years old, I'm wondering if the players let the fans influence them thinking the gold medal was won?

I'm wondering too if the Russian players were being taunted by Canadian fans? I heard some of the Russian players were "giving it" back to the fans when they made their comeback. I'm wondering too if their manhood was being question by Canadian fans, and they responded.

I like loud fans, but sometimes I think they can have a negative effect on a game because they can lose their composure, become obnoxious, and can give the opposition more intensive to win.

I heard the flight was for 6:15am, so what did they expect? I bet none of these guys went to bed, they were still partying! At least book the flight for the afternoon where everyone will recovering from their hangover.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#154 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 05:00 PM

HAHA. Did you guys see them things on the ice and the way they were going nuts?? There was no question good times were to be had.

#155 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,919 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 05:14 PM

Unruly Russian hockey team kicked off flight

My question is, what idiot booked the flight for 6:10am? What did they expect would happen?
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#156 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:06 PM

Attempting to explain to me that Canada SHOULD clearly win every hockey tournament is just preposterous and sort of proves the whole point right there. Now go ahead and surgically attempt to tell me that Canada is not arrogant for just stating they are the best, but to tell ya the truth. COME OFF IT!

It is how it is said and in the manner that is presented is what makes it "cocky, arrogant" and everything I have already brought to the table.

Posted Image geeeezzzzz. Being butthurt about losing last night really can't turn you into this newfy. You are a better poster than this.

Twisting the s*** out of what I have been saying is really all I have got from what your arguments have attempted. I guess that is where this has gone awry.

No its not that we should clearly win every tournament. But what I dont get is why Canadians are considered arrogant for thinking they should win most hockey tournaments they enter. Look at the stats.

Its been said in this thread, look at all the wins Canada has compared to other countries, they won 5 world juniors in a row and then Canadians get called arrogant for expected to win the tournament.

If the states won 5 in a row you guys wouldn't go into the next tournament expecting to win? The states won last year and most Americans thought they had this tourney pretty well in the bag.

I have never said canada should win every tournament because we own the sport or anything like that. But I do expect them to finish well and anything that is less then gold is a disappointment because of their track ercord in these tourneys.

Canadians should not be called arrogant for expecting to win gold every tournament or at least medal. Canadians expect it because they usually do in fact medal.

This is why I dont get the whole Canadians are arrogant thing, what is arrogant about expecting to win because you usually do?

Its just annoying constantly hearing oh those arrogant Canadians and frustrating when they usually do. Leading into Vancouver Canadians thought we were gonna win and were called arrogant for thinking that, but then we won. So is it arrogant or just maybe Canadian teams do in fact do pretty well most tourneys

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#157 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:17 PM

Good points but.....

I stated that it was the MANNER of how the arrogance is portrayed. Sure, Americans are pretty much dickheads with sports, and well being a Wings fan I am glad to at least be a knowledgeable dickhead when it comes to down to discussions. But I am not in anyway saying a Canadian can't be confident as it is understood that hockey is a religion there and most, if not many of the best players in the world start there. I have quite a few buddies from Canada and known others that played with another buddy of mine in college. It is HOW they talk and react after losing that creates this persona. Being the best has its downfalls. Where in my posts have I gone away from this?

#158 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:29 PM

Atlanta Thrashers' forward Evander Kane, who captured gold for Canada in the tournament in 2009 and could have participated in this tournament if not for his professional responsibilities, appeared to have his night all planned out of watching the game and celebrating a Canadian victory afterwards. But following the loss, Kane posted the following message on his personal Twitter account (@EKaneATL9):
"This is a National Travesty," he texted.

Wow...

TSN story

Biz Nasty's comment at the bottom Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by HankthaTank, 06 January 2011 - 08:31 PM.

#159 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:50 PM

Good points but.....

I stated that it was the MANNER of how the arrogance is portrayed. Sure, Americans are pretty much dickheads with sports, and well being a Wings fan I am glad to at least be a knowledgeable dickhead when it comes to down to discussions. But I am not in anyway saying a Canadian can't be confident as it is understood that hockey is a religion there and most, if not many of the best players in the world start there. I have quite a few buddies from Canada and known others that played with another buddy of mine in college. It is HOW they talk and react after losing that creates this persona. Being the best has its downfalls. Where in my posts have I gone away from this?

Fair enough, luckily there isn't another world junior for another year so we wont have this argument for a while again haha.

And my posts were not directly pointed at you. You and Konnan were a couple fo the only ones that explained your stance and it is refreshing to hear it, instead of the usual LGW bulls*** of oh theyre arrogant and cocky, but as soon as I bring up valid points, no one seems to fast to counter them except for you.

I personally expect Canada to medal in every hockey tournament they play in. These expectations I'm sure are not off and I dont think it is arrogant to think so.

This is one last point I want to clear up, Canadians dont think they own hockey. Canadians think they are the best at it, and I dont think this statement is wrong over the course of time. Same with football in the states, Lacrosse in Canada, Brazil in soccer etc. Certain countries are just dominant in certain sports and Canada is the country that dominates hockey the most.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#160 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:54 PM

Fair enough, luckily there isn't another world junior for another year so we wont have this argument for a while again haha.

Thank God lol...

WJC is always fun regardless to me. I get a kick out of razzing my Canadian brethren here and there. Hockey unites us!

Posted Image OK no it doesn't but whatever LGW!