• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Esquire

THN's Ross McLean "Scouting Blog" - Teemu Pulkkinen

Rate this topic

Pulkkinen looks poised to be another one of those amazing Detroit draft day steals we have all become so familiar with. The Red Wings took a chance on a kid who had a tough couple of years, sustaining injuries that kept him out of this tournament last year and most of last season. How could a top-round talent fall to the mid-rounds? It was thought this elite player was losing one of the most crucial years of development and that scared a lot of teams off.

s***, I love this organization! thumbup.gif

Between the Pulkkinen and Jamrock the future's looking damn bright for us.

One thing that's always puzzled me...how come our superstars are 4th and 5th round picks but guys drafted in the first round for us rarely make the same impact?

I guess drafting a Canadian or American in the 1st round is a safe bet and some guy no one's heard of on this side of the atlantic with a 4th is just what we do.

Sounds encouraging to have two well regarded prospects at the WJC-- go JKROK (KNow what I'm sayin?)

Had to log in just to +1 that.

I wonder if Teemu stays in Europe for another year or two or fast tracks to the NHL and comes over to play for GR next season. He is almost putting up a PPG for Jokerit as a boy playing in a mens league, I think he could put up good numbers in GR if given the chance. With some of the older guys moving on soon and our core starting to hit the 30's wouldn't mind seeing Tatar, Mursak, Smith, Pulkkinen, Jarnkrok, etc getting to the show ASAP.

Iron Hook and Pulu should each spend one more year in Europe. If they show signs of improvement then give them at least one year in the AHL.

Agreed. The thing about players like this is that while they can dominate in the European leagues or the WJC with just their skill and level and hockey instincts, the same will not be true for the NHL. When the opposing team has 4th line grinders with the same skill level (note that I don't mean this in any way demeaningly, Järnkrok and Pulkkinen are just both too young to have reached their full potential) AND they have a ton more physicality it leads to players like this being smothered. They simply can't play their own game because their style is more like that of a top 6 forward than a grinder. This means they can't be given the amount of minutes they need to fully grow into their potential, and can be disastrous for their development. The Wings are traditionally very good at giving their prospects time to reach the level they need to actually succeed in the NHL, not just survive, and I would expect no less in the case of these two.

We'll just have to be patient and think of all the highlight-reel goals these two will give us in years to come.

Zetterberg. Datsyuk. Abdelkader/Cleary

Franzen. Tater. Pulkkinnen

Mursak. Filppula. Nyquist

Callahan. Helm. Eaves

Yea, that would be crazy...

Which brings me to....

Kronwall. Smith

Stuart. Rafalski?

Ericsson. Kindl

We maybe should flip a forward prospect (Ferraro, Sheahan, or one of the above) for a d-man. That D is suspect...although I would imagine Kent brings in a FA anyway if Lidstrom didn't pull a Chelios.

Edited by achildr1

I was impressed with both guys during the tournament. Glad to see them both takings steps in the right direction. I think we'd just have to be careful the team doesn't get too soft, as not too many of our prospects play much of a physical game right now. Hopefully, they'd see the work ethic and fight of guys like Z and Dats and try to bring it themselves, but we'll have to see.

In the coming years I'd imagine the forward line-up could look something like...

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Cleary

Franzen-Filppula-Tatar

Nyquist-Jarnkrok/Andersson-Pulkkinen

Abdelkader-Helm-Eaves/Callahan/Mursak

Of course, none of us really know how well these guys will progress, but this is one of my guesses. I'm seeing Cleary as the clear Holmstrom replacement on that top line, should Babs keep the Eurotwins together.

I think Tatar has shown in his time with the Red Wings that despite his size, he's willing to play a tenacious game. I know about his offensive, but I was pleasantly surprised by his puck pursuit after he lost it. He chased down loose pucks and fore-checked well, while maintaining all of his offensive flash.

The third line worries me a bit in terms of its defensive ability. Nyquist has shown himself to be a strong two-way player, but the other two... I think this might be a case where someone like Joakim Andersson may step in and steal the spot. By that time, it might even be his spot and Jarnkrok will have to steal it from him. Andersson's shown himself to be a very capable defensive player, and has been putting up some points of late for the Griffins as well.

I think that perhaps Mursak might find himself on the outside looking in, which I hate to say since he's pretty much my favorite Red Wings prospect. I think everyone else on the 4th line could be rotated in and out of the line-up. Helm and Abdelkader can both play center, and Eaves/Callahan could battle for spots as well. Ideally, I'd like to see all of them rotate on a regular basis, letting the strongest players play for lengths of time.

As someone else said, we've got tons of offensive depth, so it might be in the team's best interest to swap someone out and add some defensive depth. I believe a solid right-handed, offensive defenseman is needed in the system. Pyett has kind of crapped out, in my opinion. I think that maybe Nick Jensen has the most room for growth here. I guess we'll see, but I do have high hopes for our forward depth.

Iron Hook and Pulu should each spend one more year in Europe. If they show signs of improvement then give them at least one year in the AHL.

I think so too. If they come over after next season they will probably be in the AHL but see call ups every now and then.

Its looking like Pulu will be NHL ready quicker because he has already put on the weight necessary but Jarnkrok is still pretty light.

We should get at least 1 first line 70 point player out of pulu, krok, tatar and nyquist I hope. If we don't I will be really disappointed. Then between Sheahan and Mursak I'm hoping for at least one guy who can be a solid second line contributor.

That would give us some good players who can be added too through free agency or future drafts