• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Din758

Din758

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:46 AM

This guy hit the post and the puck split in two. Never heard of this before...

http://video.nhl.com...tid=35&id=90896
Crosby is a crybaby *****

#2 hak

hak

1st Line Sniper

• Gold Booster
  • 840 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:51 AM

That was pretty cool. I've never seen that before either

#3 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,451 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:52 AM

I've seen it before. Funny though, the announcers were talking about the shot being so hard and it hitting the pipe so hard that it split in two. That is obviously not what caused the pick to split in two. The shot wasn't actually that hard.

It's like when the glass shatters, it's not because someone shot the puck so hard at the glass, it's just that sometimes when you hit a certain spot or there is integrity issues with the glass, in this case, the puck.

Edit: also, I'm not an expert, but wondering if maybe the puck could have been too cold.

Edited by toby91_ca, 06 January 2011 - 07:53 AM.

#4 Din758

Din758

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:23 AM

I've seen it before. Funny though, the announcers were talking about the shot being so hard and it hitting the pipe so hard that it split in two. That is obviously not what caused the pick to split in two. The shot wasn't actually that hard.

It's like when the glass shatters, it's not because someone shot the puck so hard at the glass, it's just that sometimes when you hit a certain spot or there is integrity issues with the glass, in this case, the puck.

Edit: also, I'm not an expert, but wondering if maybe the puck could have been too cold.

too cold, or earlier in the play, maybe during some board play, somebody stepped on the puck and cracked it. still a hell of a story for the ladies.

#5 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:47 AM

I have seen it before, still kind of funny to here these goofy announcer's astonished reactions
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#6 markaswell

markaswell

Prospect

• 41 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:49 AM

Ha, that's hilarious.

I can't help but wonder what would have happened if half of it went in, and half didn't.....or half in, and the other half stayed on the goal l ine or something...

Hockey's equivalent to "the natural". (smacking the cover off the baseball)

#7 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 09:20 AM

too cold, or earlier in the play, maybe during some board play, somebody stepped on the puck and cracked it. still a hell of a story for the ladies.

So this one time, I blast a shot from 3,000 feet out and it splits in two upon impact! So, can I buy you a drink? Better yet, you wanna buy me one?

:lol:
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#8 ACallToArms

ACallToArms

1st Line Sniper

• Gold Booster
  • 862 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 09:46 AM

If both pieces end up in the net, that counts as 2 goals, right? Right??? :cool:

#9 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,451 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 10:29 AM

If both pieces end up in the net, that counts as 2 goals, right? Right??? :cool:

In all seriousness, I think there would be a legitimate question. Not whether it counts as 2 goals of course, but whether a goal should be awarded or not. If the puck breaks in two before entering the net and then both pieces happen to end up in the net, I think it would likely be ruled no goal because the play should be dead the instant the puck breaks, but if that actually happened, I bet the refs would have no clue what to do.

#10 Datsook

Datsook

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 10:58 AM

In all seriousness, I think there would be a legitimate question. Not whether it counts as 2 goals of course, but whether a goal should be awarded or not. If the puck breaks in two before entering the net and then both pieces happen to end up in the net, I think it would likely be ruled no goal because the play should be dead the instant the puck breaks, but if that actually happened, I bet the refs would have no clue what to do.

For sure legitimate. What if it splits unevenly and the larger size goes into the net...what's the cut-off size? If play should be stopped dead due to splitting - what about pucks that have small edges chipped off does that count as splitting? Interesting. I think the rule is "the entire puck must cross the goal line to count" (or some variation of that) but at what point does one consider the puck entire..
-Oz

#11 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 02:10 PM

For sure legitimate. What if it splits unevenly and the larger size goes into the net...what's the cut-off size? If play should be stopped dead due to splitting - what about pucks that have small edges chipped off does that count as splitting? Interesting. I think the rule is "the entire puck must cross the goal line to count" (or some variation of that) but at what point does one consider the puck entire..

the whole puck must cross the goal line....

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#12 Din758

Din758

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 02:22 PM

what if a chip is broken off a corner by a skate and later on in the same play the puck goes in? thats what hes saying. according to your statement it would be no because that little chip would be sitting elsewhere on the ice, but that ludicrous.

#13 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 02:25 PM

What if the puck splits, and the larger portion goes into the net across the goal line, and the smaller portion simply goes behind the net?

That would follow the rule, technically.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#14 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 02:28 PM

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#15 cjm502

cjm502

This man was born to kick ass.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 02:44 PM

I would not be able to listen to a whole game with those announcers, even the 30 seconds of that video was rough.

Edited by cjm502, 06 January 2011 - 02:44 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#16 kook_10

kook_10

I Like Our Team

• Gold Booster
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 03:42 PM

I actually don't think it was the shot that split the puck. I think it was the result of the dynamite going boom.

works every time

#17 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,014 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 03:43 PM

That's ridiculous. Don't believe I've ever seen that before.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#18 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 03:51 PM

I had to X-out the video. Sounded like I was listening to Mancow or something.

Edited by dropkickshanahans, 06 January 2011 - 03:51 PM.

#19 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 05:33 PM

I don't think I've ever seen that before
IPB Image

#20 Dimaline312000

Dimaline312000

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip