• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

1/7 GDT: Red Wings 5 at Flames 4 (SO)

Rate this topic

OK, I made it to page 18, trying to catch up after the game, and I'm about to fold my tent.

However:

The third period was a good one for both the team and Howard. He had some GREAT saves, and the team started to remember who the hell they are.

One of the best players/passers in the game was Hudler. He was accurate and focused, even after getting knocked down a gazillion times.

Two of the worst passers -to the point of damn scary - were Franzen and Bertuzzi. I was screaming at them all night. Then I screamed for happy on Bert's GWG. It was a beauty! :D

Helm, Kronwall, Rafalski and Eaves looked fine, thankyouverymuch. Very much in the game.

If it's true that Stuart's jaw is broken, the a-hole that took him down should be suspended Big Time. Then again, it's Bettman, and it's the Wings. So good frickin' luck on that one.

Nighty night. :burnout:

Something I noticed was that after Tatar made his great defensive play I didn't see him out on the ice much after that. Kind of odd IMO

babs probably just didn't feel comfortable with a rookie out there in the dying minutes of a tie game.

i was coming in to say, even though it stinks we're giving up this many goals to subpar teams its good that we're finding ways to get W's with our best players out, and now this with stuart. extremely disappointing, both in that hes out and that no one ******* destroyed kostopolous

edit: im a huge believer in that your teammate is your family, and whether its right or not, kostopolous deserved to his face pounded in

Edited by j.hoop

Something I noticed was that after Tatar made his great defensive play I didn't see him out on the ice much after that. Kind of odd IMO

tatar was great tonight, this is my first time seeing him, and he is just dynamite, love his speed and awareness

Guest Heaten

Had Howard saved those 3 softies, this game wouldn't have gone to OT. Howard may have screwed the energy for tomorrow's game. Really getting sick and tired of Howa4d softies. Deflating.

Osgood should be named the official starter after tonight's circus.

Just watched the replay to see who was on the ice when Stuart got taken out and I have to ask...Why is Abdelkader just standing around? I would think he'd go after the guy that just completely blindsided one of our top defensemen. I mean really, someone should have done something. I'm not all for having an enforcer over skilled players but in this situation, retaliation is called for and should be automatic.

Just watched the replay to see who was on the ice when Stuart got taken out and I have to ask...Why is Abdelkader just standing around? I would think he'd go after the guy that just completely blindsided one of our top defensemen. I mean really, someone should have done something. I'm not all for having an enforcer over skilled players but in this situation, retaliation is called for and should be automatic.

he probably didn't see it. to be honest i didn't see the hit as it happened because i was following the play/puck. i'm sure he was doing the same. it does seem out of character for him to just stand there so that's probably what happened.

All those calling for someone to pound Kostopolos for the hit....10 minutes left in the 3rd, you've only just come back from 4-2 down to tie it - not gunna happen. Like in a playoff game, no-one is going to risk taking an extra penalty just to extract revenge. And the only realistic choice to fight him was Abdelkader, and how often, if at all, was he on the ice at the same time as Kostopolous in the last 8 minutes? As Atadoso says, if Abdelkader doesn't see the hit (why would he? he's following a bouncing puck), then the chance is gone.

Had Howard saved those 3 softies, this game wouldn't have gone to OT. Howard may have screwed the energy for tomorrow's game. Really getting sick and tired of Howa4d softies. Deflating.

Cute. Nothing like a little negativity.

Not yet. There's just no need for it. They both just need to keep playing regularly and if Osgood's rolling come playoff time, give him the nod, as you know he's proven in the playoffs and capable of elevating his game. And again, he has a lot to prove this year too after last years personal disaster.

And honestly, I'm fine with Howard's stock coming down a bit. Considering he's got some weaknesses that have yet to improve and given that they've become a bigger issue lately, it'd be premature to give him a big money contract. He had a great rookie season but he's had a very inconsistent sophomore season. I'm all for keeping him in the fold as I think he's a good goalie who can eventually become the reliable goalie we need, but I wouldn't want to pay him $4-5 million a year, especially after the way this season has gone. If he stabilizes, sign him up for 2 years $2-2.5 million if he'll take it. Unless he comes back and wins us a Stanley Cup, it'd be idiotic to give him any more than that after this year. Sign Osgood up for 1-2 years at around a million and we'll be in good shape again next year with minimal cap hit coming from the goalies.

I think Howard will be fine long run, but they need to get back to developing him into an NHL starter as opposed to forcing him into it when he's not ready. Those rookie fumes can do wonders for you, but as the playoffs and his sophomore season has proven, they only get you so far. Even if your a skilled goalie in many ways, over time your weaknesses become more and more glaring and you've got to tighten it up or guys will work you out. He needs to work on the butterfly-happy stuff, the rebounds and puck control/movement. The recent flopping stuff I think is just part of playing down and desperate; I'm not worried that it'll stick. Let him learn from watching Osgood more with less pressure this year and next and I really think a lot of the weaknesses will work themselves out and he'll be ready to be a career NHL starter after next season.