• Please log in to reply
865 replies to this topic

#861 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 04:31 AM

All those calling for someone to pound Kostopolos for the hit....10 minutes left in the 3rd, you've only just come back from 4-2 down to tie it - not gunna happen. Like in a playoff game, no-one is going to risk taking an extra penalty just to extract revenge. And the only realistic choice to fight him was Abdelkader, and how often, if at all, was he on the ice at the same time as Kostopolous in the last 8 minutes? As Atadoso says, if Abdelkader doesn't see the hit (why would he? he's following a bouncing puck), then the chance is gone.
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#862 hankzet40

hankzet40

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 10:20 AM

Holy crap this was such a fun game live. 2 for 2 now seeing the Wings in shootouts.

#863 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 11:06 AM

Had Howard saved those 3 softies, this game wouldn't have gone to OT. Howard may have screwed the energy for tomorrow's game. Really getting sick and tired of Howa4d softies. Deflating.

Osgood should be named the official starter after tonight's circus.

Cute. Nothing like a little negativity.
Do or do not. There is no try

#864 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,387 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:37 PM

Can't believe I missed it.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#865 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,916 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 02:08 PM

Had Howard saved those 3 softies, this game wouldn't have gone to OT. Howard may have screwed the energy for tomorrow's game. Really getting sick and tired of Howa4d softies. Deflating.

Osgood should be named the official starter after tonight's circus.

Not yet. There's just no need for it. They both just need to keep playing regularly and if Osgood's rolling come playoff time, give him the nod, as you know he's proven in the playoffs and capable of elevating his game. And again, he has a lot to prove this year too after last years personal disaster.

And honestly, I'm fine with Howard's stock coming down a bit. Considering he's got some weaknesses that have yet to improve and given that they've become a bigger issue lately, it'd be premature to give him a big money contract. He had a great rookie season but he's had a very inconsistent sophomore season. I'm all for keeping him in the fold as I think he's a good goalie who can eventually become the reliable goalie we need, but I wouldn't want to pay him $4-5 million a year, especially after the way this season has gone. If he stabilizes, sign him up for 2 years $2-2.5 million if he'll take it. Unless he comes back and wins us a Stanley Cup, it'd be idiotic to give him any more than that after this year. Sign Osgood up for 1-2 years at around a million and we'll be in good shape again next year with minimal cap hit coming from the goalies.

I think Howard will be fine long run, but they need to get back to developing him into an NHL starter as opposed to forcing him into it when he's not ready. Those rookie fumes can do wonders for you, but as the playoffs and his sophomore season has proven, they only get you so far. Even if your a skilled goalie in many ways, over time your weaknesses become more and more glaring and you've got to tighten it up or guys will work you out. He needs to work on the butterfly-happy stuff, the rebounds and puck control/movement. The recent flopping stuff I think is just part of playing down and desperate; I'm not worried that it'll stick. Let him learn from watching Osgood more with less pressure this year and next and I really think a lot of the weaknesses will work themselves out and he'll be ready to be a career NHL starter after next season.
-Elliot...does not panic.

#866 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 02:09 PM

Last night's game was a softie-fest. Kipper had what, at least 3 softies?