• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Blueliner

Stuart out 6-8 weeks with broken jaw

Rate this topic

Calgary fans are morons, they watch their team clutch, grab, and blatantly interfere then ***** about the refs being against them, they defend what Noodles did to Franzen. If you think this is out of character for their fans you really haven't spent much time around them.

That vid reminds me of the Calgary franchise.

Get outclassed in every way, get mad, then throw a fit about it and not get anything positive done from it.

I seriously lost any respect, which wasn't anything to begin with, for the flames franchise for this hit. For the refs NOT to call a game misconduct on the spot was insane... that hit was beyond, and I mean beyond dirty. There's plays where players get hit hard because they have their head down but Stuart was trying to find the puck and get it out of the zone, AKA HIS POSITION AND JOB. He was simply doing his task at hand and he got an elbow to the face because of it; i'm simply speechless when it comes down to it. The Flames franchise over and over again have proven to me how classless they are. I'm seriously still floored from this hit. As for others not sticking up for Stewie, I wouldn't go that far; must players didn't see what happened until it already went down and time had passed. Look at the replay, noone even realized Stewie was down until it was too late. Anything that would've happened after that moment would've been against us. As much as I would LOVE to see pull some redemption for this hit, it wasn't worth it once it was finally seen.

It's funny. Reading the game day thread on the Calgary boards, you wouldn't even know Kostopolous hit anyone let alone broke someone's jaw. They literally have said nothing about it.

the thing is flames fans are delusional when it comes to their team. before the season started flames fans actually thought they had a good team, a playoff team. throughout this season, you would read articles in the paper that asked "what's wrong with the flames?" and "when are things going to turn around?", etc. ever since 2004, flames fans have had an unwarranted sense of entitlement (something other fan bases accuse us of, only in our case we have a reason for feeling this way), as if their team is supposed to be a contender every single year. when the flames play bad, their fans wonder why.

but the flames playing style has been the same since 2004. clutch, grab, hit, slash, fight, dump it in, get a rebound goal, etc. this type of hockey isn't going to get you the cup in today's nhl. but this is all that at least half of their fans know because they've only been 'fans' since 2004. this is why most of them defend hits like the one tonight. they think it's just good, old tough western-alberta hockey.

which is one of the reasons why i hate the flames. in fact, i think for most of us, our 'hatred' of other teams is based mainly on the way their fans think and act.

either way, the flames will be golfing in april, and that feels good.

I had a Apicoectomy done yesterday and that's just having your gums retracted and a square cut out of your jaw bone to reach an infected root. I'm in miserable pain. I can't even ******* IMAGINE what a broken jaw could feel like... That bastard should have gotten the boot and I EXPECT a lengthy suspension, whether or not the NHL will sack up and give him one is another issue. As HaroldSnepts said, his jersey must read "Gutlesspuke". Didn't even LOOK at the puck, just went straight for the head. Prick.

If Stuart played for the Bruins, Flyers, Ducks etc Kostopulous wouldn't have made it to the box. Just sayin'...

esteef

And Abs was on the ice (not that he's an enforcer).

Oh guys... Come on, not the enforcer debate. Take it to the tough guy thread.

This isn't about enforcing, IMO. As a teammate and as a man, if you see that happen, you (try to) f*** the dude up. If you don't think you can take the guy, cross-check him in the teeth first. Do something

Tom Kostopoulos, you are so lucky this was the last game between the Wings and Flames this year. Pray you don't get traded

Or what? We're going to do what to him and who's gonna do it? Datsyuk is gonna deke him? Helm gonna show him how fast he can skate? Erikson's gonna punch the top of his head in a fight he'll lose despite being 7 feet tall?

The toughest guy on the Red Wings is Jimmy Howard, and the only person he beat up was a chick, Cindy Crybaby.

Kostopulous ought to be suspended but it would only be a symbolic gesture. He's a fourth line nobody on a garbage team that's not going to make the playoffs, and aren't even going to play the Wings again this season. Any suspension will have absolutely zero affect on anybody anywhere.

There ain't no justice, I tells ya.

This isn't about enforcing, IMO. As a teammate and as a man, if you see that happen, you (try to) f*** the dude up. If you don't think you can take the guy, cross-check him in the teeth first. Do something

The part I bolded really popped out for me. I can't decide what to think about that. Funny thing this game of hockey. No one likes to see violence on the street or at home, but most people who watch hockey wants to see two clans of cavemen clash. I enjoy watching hockey fights, especially the ones from the rivalry with Avs, but I'm not sure I'd be able to convince myself that what the players are doing is manly.

What's manly in hockey changes all the time. I think it was Sami Salo who wore neck protection for a short time, but stopped 'cause his teammates were ripping him. I wouldn't be surprised if in twenty years everyone in the league would wear neck protection and visors.

Could it be that "a man" is someone who denies his animal instincts and the pressure of the crowd, teammates and traditions and just doesn't choose to hurt another person because what they're doing is just playing a game? Professional grown up hockey players are allowed to live a kid's dream in front of huge crowds and get more money for it than most people. Acting like an adult is quite far away from the situation they are in, at least when they are away from their personal lives.

I really don't know and I admit that I'm thinking too much. Hockey is about fun and childishness and definitely not about philosophy. Entertainment is best when it makes us forget our lives and now I'm mixing normal life with hockey. Normal life doesn't count inside a hockey rink. Still players can't completely forget how they act outside the rink and just mindlessly attact someone. I'm not surprised that the most violent players usually have problems in their personal lives, while you really couldn't imagine Lidström, Yzerman or Larionov in a bar fight.

One thing is for sure: if I ever met Kostopoulos, I wouldn't shake his freaking hand.

Why are you guys saying out for season? Not a chance, cleary only missed 19 games people. Stuart out 20 games MAX.

Every time there is an inury we get these post. "I knew a guy that broke his jaw and never played again." or "I broke my jaw once when playing hockey and I was out for 2 years" or "4-6 weeks no way, it will be at least 3 years".

Give it a break people. Nobody on here has any detailed knowledge of the injury so WE DON'T KNOW how long he will be out. Stop with all the frickin negativity already.

If Cleary missed 19 games which is about 6 weeks, not having any further info, I'd expect Staurt to miss about the same. Fortunately, part of this time period includes the all star break so he might not miss 19 games but the time period is probably about the same. Incidently, the Wings typically play around 15 games a month.

The part I bolded really popped out for me. I can't decide what to think about that. Funny thing this game of hockey. No one likes to see violence on the street or at home, but most people who watch hockey wants to see two clans of cavemen clash. I enjoy watching hockey fights, especially the ones from the rivalry with Avs, but I'm not sure I'd be able to convince myself that what the players are doing is manly.

What's manly in hockey changes all the time. I think it was Sami Salo who wore neck protection for a short time, but stopped 'cause his teammates were ripping him. I wouldn't be surprised if in twenty years everyone in the league would wear neck protection and visors.

Could it be that "a man" is someone who denies his animal instincts and the pressure of the crowd, teammates and traditions and just doesn't choose to hurt another person because what they're doing is just playing a game? Professional grown up hockey players are allowed to live a kid's dream in front of huge crowds and get more money for it than most people. Acting like an adult is quite far away from the situation they are in, at least when they are away from their personal lives.

I really don't know and I admit that I'm thinking too much. Hockey is about fun and childishness and definitely not about philosophy. Entertainment is best when it makes us forget our lives and now I'm mixing normal life with hockey. Normal life doesn't count inside a hockey rink. Still players can't completely forget how they act outside the rink and just mindlessly attact someone. I'm not surprised that the most violent players usually have problems in their personal lives, while you really couldn't imagine Lidström, Yzerman or Larionov in a bar fight.

One thing is for sure: if I ever met Kostopoulos, I wouldn't shake his freaking hand.

Well said. Hockey is the only sport besides boxing in which you will see a genuine fight. There are people that watch it just for that reason. I'm not saying that is good or bad just that it is a fact. The game has changed. Teams rarely win anymore by intimidating their opponents.

I suppose I should've said "as a person." I wasn't trying to say that it's unmanly to not retaliate, just that I don't understand how any person could stand by after something like that happens to a friend. And I'm sure there are people that feel the opposite.

You do make good points though, and have gotten me thinking.

Edited by SeeinRed

Calgary fans are morons, they watch their team clutch, grab, and blatantly interfere then ***** about the refs being against them, they defend what Noodles did to Franzen. If you think this is out of character for their fans you really haven't spent much time around them.

this clown is now an assistant coach for the flames.

Helluva response. It is a game, not life. The guys have to know going in that they can be blind-sided by out-of-control players. As much as I'm outraged by what happened to Stuart, I either can't take it all too seriously, or I hope and pray that those who are supposedly in charge of overall refereeing, do their job consistently and fairly.

Edited by Vladifan

I suppose I should've said "as a person." I wasn't trying to say that it's unmanly to not retaliate, just that I don't understand how any person could stand by after something like that happens to a friend. And I'm sure there are people that feel the opposite.

You do make good points though, and have gotten me thinking.

I understand. The first reaction for most would be to check if your friend is OK or to attack the person who attacked your friend. I often make myself sound too analytical while I like many others wonder why Abdelkader didn't give Kostopoulos some feedback if he really was on the ice.

I admire Wings ability to stay cool no matter what and that's the best way for a skilled puck handling team to win games. When something like this happens though it leaves many people disappointed.

Kostopoulos has 628 NHL (does not include AHL) penalty minutes since '05. That includes 19 penalties in two short stints with the Penguins between '01 and'03. I found this on NHL.com. And in the write-up of last night's game, that hit was not mentioned.

EDIT: I should have said "19 penalty minutes". Not that it really matters, but somebody's gotta play fair, eh? :angry:

Edited by Vladifan

The NHL is cool. They are all over hooking calls 200 feet from the play, but can't even correctly call an intentional headshot that results in an injury. There better be a lengthy suspension for this, yet somehow I doubt it.

Stuart is so damn reliable back there. More minutes now for Lidstrom and Rafalski, which isn't ideal as we need them both as fresh as possible for the playoffs. These past two seasons have been a disaster.

Also, who cares if we have an enforcer there? Stuart is still out with an injury so I don't feel any better if someone beats the s*** out of Kostopoulis AFTER the fact.

Edited by GoWings1905