• Please log in to reply
179 replies to this topic

#41 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,606 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:07 AM

"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#42 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:08 AM

Oh guys... Come on, not the enforcer debate. Take it to the tough guy thread.

#43 Octopus's Garden

Octopus's Garden

1st Line Sniper

• Gold Booster
  • 816 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:12 AM

3 games? That should be 5-7 at least. That was a dirty hit with intent to injure, not to mention that the puck wasn't at Stuart's feet or stick -- absolute garbage.

#44 Pat

Pat

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:13 AM

Why are you guys saying out for season? Not a chance, cleary only missed 19 games people. Stuart out 20 games MAX.

#45 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,338 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:15 AM

Kostopolous has a history of these types of hits; see former NHL'er Mike van Ryn.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#46 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,102 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:28 AM

First off, I do hope Stuart will be OK and takes it easy.

Second, son of a *****... This really sucks...

Third, f*** you Calgary

Fourth, f*** you Ref's
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#47 Vladiator

Vladiator

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:37 AM

I remember JR suffering a broken jaw and he came back after a few games in the playoffs quite a few years ago (he was with the Yotes then). Since the Wings are only half way through their season, I highly doubt Stuart would be back on the ice for a while. Still a bad injury as Stue will probably be drinking through a straw for while and not be anywhere in game shape when he can come back.

#48 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,705 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:39 AM

Between this year's injuries and last year's injuries, I'd say the hockey gods pretty much owe us a Stanley Cup this year.

#49 theman19

theman19

#40 Mobile suit Zeta, the new red comet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,829 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 02:04 AM

okay, i'll ask,

who replaces him on the backend? Obviously salei gets more minutes,...Janik? Kindl?

#50 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 02:08 AM

It's funny. Reading the game day thread on the Calgary boards, you wouldn't even know Kostopolous hit anyone let alone broke someone's jaw. They literally have said nothing about it.

Oh but one of them did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous1
That was a pretty blatant headshot on Stuart. I think he'll be suspended.

I don't really think it was that bad. From the angle I saw in slow mo I thought he led with his shoulder and he happened to catch him in the jaw.

I won't argue if it's a suspension for a few games. TK's a fourth liner anyways and I'm sure Meyer is jawing (no pun intended) at the opportunity.

Maybe poetic justice for the dude to what he did to Iggy and then shying away a couple games ago against them.

A blindside shoulder that just happened to catch him in the jaw and break it wasn't that bad? I guess I shouldn't be surprised by that answer.

Edited by dropkickshanahans, 08 January 2011 - 02:08 AM.

#51 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,700 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 03:11 AM

Oh but one of them did.

A blindside shoulder that just happened to catch him in the jaw and break it wasn't that bad? I guess I shouldn't be surprised by that answer.

Calgary fans are morons, they watch their team clutch, grab, and blatantly interfere then ***** about the refs being against them, they defend what Noodles did to Franzen. If you think this is out of character for their fans you really haven't spent much time around them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fqje98Rit_A
Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#52 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 03:39 AM

Yeah apparently Franzen was asking for it. <_<

#53 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,332 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 03:53 AM

Calgary fans are morons, they watch their team clutch, grab, and blatantly interfere then ***** about the refs being against them, they defend what Noodles did to Franzen. If you think this is out of character for their fans you really haven't spent much time around them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fqje98Rit_A

That vid reminds me of the Calgary franchise.

Get outclassed in every way, get mad, then throw a fit about it and not get anything positive done from it.

Posted Image

#54 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,973 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 04:15 AM

Murph said it best - blindside hit on a player in a vulnerable position who was unable to protect himself.
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#55 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 04:28 AM

I seriously lost any respect, which wasn't anything to begin with, for the flames franchise for this hit. For the refs NOT to call a game misconduct on the spot was insane... that hit was beyond, and I mean beyond dirty. There's plays where players get hit hard because they have their head down but Stuart was trying to find the puck and get it out of the zone, AKA HIS POSITION AND JOB. He was simply doing his task at hand and he got an elbow to the face because of it; i'm simply speechless when it comes down to it. The Flames franchise over and over again have proven to me how classless they are. I'm seriously still floored from this hit. As for others not sticking up for Stewie, I wouldn't go that far; must players didn't see what happened until it already went down and time had passed. Look at the replay, noone even realized Stewie was down until it was too late. Anything that would've happened after that moment would've been against us. As much as I would LOVE to see pull some redemption for this hit, it wasn't worth it once it was finally seen.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#56 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 18,828 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 05:23 AM

Such a brutal, brutal hit. And what a blow to Detroit, are we ever going to get healthy? Thank god for our great start this year, or it'd be a mess.

#NOMOREKINDL

#57 atodaso

atodaso

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 05:27 AM

It's funny. Reading the game day thread on the Calgary boards, you wouldn't even know Kostopolous hit anyone let alone broke someone's jaw. They literally have said nothing about it.

the thing is flames fans are delusional when it comes to their team. before the season started flames fans actually thought they had a good team, a playoff team. throughout this season, you would read articles in the paper that asked "what's wrong with the flames?" and "when are things going to turn around?", etc. ever since 2004, flames fans have had an unwarranted sense of entitlement (something other fan bases accuse us of, only in our case we have a reason for feeling this way), as if their team is supposed to be a contender every single year. when the flames play bad, their fans wonder why.

but the flames playing style has been the same since 2004. clutch, grab, hit, slash, fight, dump it in, get a rebound goal, etc. this type of hockey isn't going to get you the cup in today's nhl. but this is all that at least half of their fans know because they've only been 'fans' since 2004. this is why most of them defend hits like the one tonight. they think it's just good, old tough western-alberta hockey.
which is one of the reasons why i hate the flames. in fact, i think for most of us, our 'hatred' of other teams is based mainly on the way their fans think and act.

either way, the flames will be golfing in april, and that feels good.

#58 thegerkin

thegerkin

Statue of Liberty!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 05:38 AM

I had a Apicoectomy done yesterday and that's just having your gums retracted and a square cut out of your jaw bone to reach an infected root. I'm in miserable pain. I can't evenf****** IMAGINE what a broken jaw could feel like... That bastard should have gotten the boot and I EXPECT a lengthy suspension, whether or not the NHL will sack up and give him one is another issue. As HaroldSnepts said, his jersey must read "Gutlesspuke". Didn't even LOOK at the puck, just went straight for the head. Prick.

#59 seeinred

seeinred

Teemu!

• HoF Booster
  • 7,812 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 06:27 AM

If Stuart played for the Bruins, Flyers, Ducks etc Kostopulous wouldn't have made it to the box. Just sayin'...

esteef

And Abs was on the ice (not that he's an enforcer).

Oh guys... Come on, not the enforcer debate. Take it to the tough guy thread.

This isn't about enforcing, IMO. As a teammate and as a man, if you see that happen, you (try to) f*** the dude up. If you don't think you can take the guy, cross-check him in the teeth first. Do something

Posted Image

Crosby's Bettman Real Doll is going to get quite a workout tonight.

#60 Holmstrom96

Holmstrom96

Banned Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 08:25 AM

Tom Kostopoulos, you are so lucky this was the last game between the Wings and Flames this year. Pray you don't get traded

Or what? We're going to do what to him and who's gonna do it? Datsyuk is gonna deke him? Helm gonna show him how fast he can skate? Erikson's gonna punch the top of his head in a fight he'll lose despite being 7 feet tall?

The toughest guy on the Red Wings is Jimmy Howard, and the only person he beat up was a chick, Cindy Crybaby.