• Please log in to reply
179 replies to this topic

#121 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,923 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 05:53 PM

I've always advocated punishments like that for really out-of-line injuries/hits like what happened to Stuart. The league needs to start cracking down on head shots.

I would hate for someone who absolutely decimated a guy with a horribly cheap hit to the head get off free because the player that was hit just happened to miss 0 games.
Likewise, I would hate for someone to miss the entire season on a questionable hit that happened to concuss the player (with a bad history of concussions) for 82 games.

Edited by Echolalia, 08 January 2011 - 05:53 PM.

#122 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,230 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 06:06 PM

I would hate for someone who absolutely decimated a guy with a horribly cheap hit to the head get off free because the player that was hit just happened to miss 0 games.
Likewise, I would hate for someone to miss the entire season on a questionable hit that happened to concuss the player (with a bad history of concussions) for 82 games.

This. In theory the "eye for an eye" punishment seems fair but honestly there are waaay too many variables to have the rule make any kind of sense.

Meanwhile.... the NHL wasted no time in giving Eager a suspension for last night's game, so.... waiting.
Posted Image

#123 Miss Wing Queen

Miss Wing Queen

Hockeytown's Helmetless Hero

• PipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 07:39 PM

Kostopolous should be suspended however long Stuart injury keeps him out.

In theory, this is a good way to handle these injuries.

However, the NHL would still screw it up like they do regular penalties now. A player blatantly head-hunting and looking to do real damage would be overlooked, and a well-meaning yet competitive player looking to finish his play, like Kronwall, would end up out for weeks, the same way obvious slashes (ahem . . . see New Year's Eve game against Islanders) are not called but barely making contact with your stick on another player (Bert's penalty last night) is called.

Whatever the NHL does, not just in this case, it would be nice if they were consistent. They called so much attention to the fact they were going to "crack down on these blindsided hits," but they can't pull their heads out of their asses long enough to put together either an established layout for discipline or a better training program for the refs to more accurately identify these hits or both. I think because (1) the heads of the NHL are incompetent beyond belief and (2) it is such a subjective type of penalty that it will be a while before things are satisfactorily worked out and resolved.

Either way, best of luck, Stuie! We wish you a very speedy recovery!

#124 Jedi

Jedi

Spell Forged - Unparalleled Quality

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 08:20 PM

Meanwhile.... the NHL wasted no time in giving Eager a suspension for last night's game, so.... waiting.

The Thrashers play again tomorrow afternoon, whereas the Flames don't play again until Tuesday. It makes sense that the League put a bit of a rush on the Eager suspension, since they would have wanted to hold the disciplinary hearing before the Thrasher's next game.

snyoep.jpg
"I am the sword in the darkness... I am the watcher on the walls...
I am the shield that guards the realms of men..."

#125 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 08:25 PM

I know you'll all be pleased to know that the top subject matter on the right hand of the NHL.com website is. "Sid talks about concussions".

Still not one word about Stuart. Or Kostopoulos. Or the cheapshot Flames. Or how Bettman and/or Campbell suck pucks. Or.... :noevil:

There's one bright spot tonight. The Pens are losing 2-0 to the Wild in the 2nd period. Warms me cockles... :D

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#126 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 08:32 PM

Just went back and watched the hit a few more times on Youtube.

http://www.mlive.com...gs - MLive.com)

Wow it was reckless. Kostopoulos had tons of time to adjust his hit and Stewart had no chance to see it coming. So amazingly disrespectful and dangerous. He could have hit him shoulder to shoulder if he wanted to.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#127 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 08:36 PM

Kostoupolus should be punished by hanging.

In downtown Detroit.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#128 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 08:38 PM

Kostoupolus should be punished by hanging.

In downtown Detroit.

:ph34r: :unsure: :w00t2:

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#129 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 08:55 PM

Stupid Milbury and the other guy from HNIC said the hit on Stuart was legal, :angry: nothing wrong with it. They said he's got a phone hearing tomorrow at 11am.

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011

#130 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 08:59 PM

Stupid Milbury and the other guy from HNIC said the hit on Stuart was legal, :angry: nothing wrong with it. They said he's got a phone hearing tomorrow at 11am.

I missed most of that conversation and I missed Coaches Corner... what did Grapes say?

#131 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 09:08 PM

I found this on NHL.com, buried in the "news". Don't know if anyone's already posted it.

That is indeed good news that at least there will be a phone call. :angry:

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=548832

#132 Sprsquirt7

Sprsquirt7

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 09:12 PM

Milburry is a ****** and for being a hockey analyst he is quite possibly the least knowledgeable people about the game, he's just wrong most hte time.

#133 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,631 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 09:43 PM

Does Kostopolos have any connections to Matt Cooke?

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#134 Theophany

Theophany

Mr. Norris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 09:50 PM

The only person that said it was a good hit was Milbury. The other guys were looking at him like "WHAT THE F**K ARE YOU SAYING?!?!"

#135 HOCKEY MATTERS

HOCKEY MATTERS

Nearly invisible now........you smell that?

• HoF Booster
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 09:53 PM

I found this on NHL.com, buried in the "news". Don't know if anyone's already posted it.

That is indeed good news that at least there will be a phone call. :angry:

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=548832

The link is broken. Not very surprised. Somebody probably posted something that put the refs in a bad light. Or someone mentioned that the NHL was supposed to be practicing "zero tolerance" for hits to the head since the beginning of the season and questioned this hit. NHL will push this under the rug and hope it goes away.....
half the world is nuts...and the other half is crazy
"You can't chew yesterdays' breakfast." Jim Leyland
Drawing on my fine command of language, I said nothing.

Alternative to Google tracking you.... http://duckduckgo.com/

#136 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 10:03 PM

I missed most of that conversation and I missed Coaches Corner... what did Grapes say?

He wasn't on there, it was 4 of them sitting at the table.

The only person that said it was a good hit was Milbury. The other guys were looking at him like "WHAT THE F**K ARE YOU SAYING?!?!"

I thought the other one on his left, I can't remember his name, had said he didn't think it fell under the rule for hits to the head. I can't believe that he doesn't see anything wrong with it.

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011

#137 atodaso

atodaso

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 10:07 PM

cherry didn't even mention it. he did however mention how the wings are "on a roll" or something like that. he's quite knowledgeable that one. he also mentioned how stevie 'listened to him' and acquired roloson.

#138 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,907 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 11:15 PM

You kids are silly hoping that Stuie's injury will receive as big of a suspension as Cindy's.

Cindy can still "convince" Bettman and Campbell to rule his way. Stuie can't open his mouth that far.

#139 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 02:22 AM

Posted Image

:ranting:

#140 Shady Ultima

Shady Ultima

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:49 AM

Wow, that's a LOT of blood...

How was there not a minimum 4 minute penalty? That's usually consistent. Draw blood, 4 mins.