• Please log in to reply
756 replies to this topic

#721 skyphoenix

skyphoenix

JIMMEH

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 04:30 AM

Howard played exactly like we needed him to today. Phenomenal game from him. That's the Howard we need to see in the playoffs this year.

Posted Image

#722 canadian wings fan

canadian wings fan

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 06:14 AM

if i was on facebook I would "like" the comment above me. A bunch of us bros went to the game tonight (wing fans) wooooeoeooe what a sick game Jimmy Howard was UNBELIEAVABLE even the nuck fans were giving him props. HUUUUUUUGE win tonight wow such a fun night in downtown vancouver

#723 canadian wings fan

canadian wings fan

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 06:27 AM

jesus tap dancing christ, just re-watched the highlights on nhl.com and sorry guys but Howard is THE MAN 2 game-saving saves made early in the 1st on Sedin and in the 3rd on I believe on Sedin again. How about Jiri friggin Hudler a slapshot in the shooutout!!! are you jokinen me???!!???? omg I turned right around to a bunch of wing fans behind me at the rogers arena and they were like "finally hudler did something" damn straight baby what a group of warriors we have this year. Enjoy the ride people, it may not always be smooth sailing but these boys can get it done. GOOO WINGS!!!

#724 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,949 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 09:25 AM

Reading Canuck fans comments, it's hard to believe if they're serious or not regarding Luongo's Oscar worthy performance in overtime.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#725 ACallToArms

ACallToArms

1st Line Sniper

• Gold Booster
  • 862 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 10:26 AM

Reading Canuck fans comments, it's hard to believe if they're serious or not regarding Luongo's Oscar worthy performance in overtime.

If the Wings had ended up losing the game, I'd totally be bitching about that today. However, now that we have the win, its just comical.

Waaa I can't stop da puck so I'll just fall down and maybe they'll waive it off..... What a ******.

#726 brett

brett

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,103 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 10:26 AM

the biggest thing ive noticed about howard this game was great rebound control, barely any rebounds.

i really hope he plays like that all the time!

Hudler needs to shoot it more with the shot he had in OT

Edited by brett, 09 January 2011 - 10:29 AM.

#727 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,609 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 11:28 AM

Not that I want to "Piss in everyone's Chelios" after a nice win like this, but it was just a January game, where we were outplayed most of the game, doesn't mean anything really.

I want to see more than one before I start thinking our defensive deficiencies are done with.

But still, great game under adverse conditions. We've now handed Vancouver their last two losses. I guess we've earned the right to act like it means something, even if it doesn't.

The point is they shut down the best team in the league, locked down the defense and ground out a win. They buckled down when it matters. It may just be a January game, but it's a sign that they still know how to play when things really matter. And that's a good sign.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#728 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 11:43 AM

What I choose not to believe right now is that the Red Wings do have a tendency to play up or down to the level of their opponents. As long as they keep beating our real rivals it's academic. All I know is that their play last night was dramatically better all the way around than it's been recently. Waaay more focused and aggressive, instead of being reactive. LOVE it. Keep it up, boyz! :thumbup: :yowza:

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#729 ACallToArms

ACallToArms

1st Line Sniper

• Gold Booster
  • 862 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 12:22 PM

Low scoring game out of nowhere! 2-1! Wings win!

Well played sir!

#730 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 12:31 PM

Well played sir!

I'm happy you omitted the rest of the post. :P

That was more what I was hoping would happen rather than what I thought reality would actually dictate, but occasionally the two intersect.
"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#731 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 12:43 PM

Not that I want to "Piss in everyone's Chelios" after a nice win like this, but it was just a January game, where we were outplayed most of the game, doesn't mean anything really.

I want to see more than one before I start thinking our defensive deficiencies are done with.

But still, great game under adverse conditions. We've now handed Vancouver their last two losses. I guess we've earned the right to act like it means something, even if it doesn't.

I have to completely disagree. Games against the Hawks, Sharks, Canucks, Pens are not just another game. They are the games where the best is playing against the best.

What team do you think the Wings feel better about beating, the Canucks or the Oilers? The fact is, not all game are created equal.

This game truly showed me we cannot complain at all anymore about these injuries. We got outplayed, but we proved we are the best team in the NHL, with a substandard Detroit Red Wing team none the less.

Howie needs to play like this for this team to make it far in the playoffs. No more 2010 Howard, 2011 Howard needs to play like 2009 Howard.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#732 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 12:50 PM

This game truly showed me we cannot complain at all anymore about these injuries.

They just pulled off a fantastic win. Now that the euphoria is all but gone I feel like LGW is going to expect that kind of effort every night from now on. You know what that means? A whole lotta bitchin' and cryin'. And not just from Mindfly.

#733 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,504 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:33 PM

I have to give Howie props today because I have been tough on him lately. He stole that game for the Red Wings last night and that's the type of goaltending they need going forward on a more consistent basis. I hope he can build off that performance and get back to the form he displayed a season ago.

The defense was so much stronger last night. I think one player that deserves some praise this season is Nik Kronwall. The offensive numbers are there, but he's quietly turned into a top pairing d-man in his own zone. I feel as confident with Kronwall out there as I do with Lidstrom. I love how reliable Kronner has become and we need that especially now with Stuart out.

Luongo is a whiny flop too. He'll stop pulling that garbage if the refs don't bail him out there. I don't think a player that big should collapse simply from contact made with his skate.

Great win all-in-all. I'm proud of them for that effort being extremely short-handed against the hottest team in the league. That was a playoff-like win last night and that gives me more confidence that the Red Wings can win games in that manner when it counts.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#734 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:42 PM

The defense was so much stronger last night. I think one player that deserves some praise this season is Nik Kronwall. The offensive numbers are there, but he's quietly turned into a top pairing d-man in his own zone. I feel as confident with Kronwall out there as I do with Lidstrom. I love how reliable Kronner has become and we need that especially now with Stuart out.

Wow. Quite a review there of Kronner's play. I gotta start paying more attention to him when he's away from the puck.

#735 gowings00

gowings00

No Talent Goon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:44 PM

...playing with the B team, on second game of a back to back, against a motivated and streaking elite team...

You just can't be pleased can you? Given the circumstances of the game, what would lead you to expect the Canucks wouldn't come out and try to blast the wings out of the water? It's not like they didn't get chances either, or that the necessarily even played poorly. It looked like a typical road playoff game, with the ice tilted for a little while. The guys did a great job fighting through it and it was clearly motivating to everyone. So go save your piss for your own Chelios. :P

I figured this game would have been a blowout. I assumed they would come out hitting and would win 70% of the faceoffs (which they did). I thought Jimmy would struggle on a few shots and we'd make too many rookie mistakes.

I was really impressed. Great Win...Jimmy might have stolen one for us!

#736 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,671 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 02:20 PM

The point is they shut down the best team in the league, locked down the defense and ground out a win. They buckled down when it matters. It may just be a January game, but it's a sign that they still know how to play when things really matter. And that's a good sign.

And a with a depleted line up.

#737 Selliria

Selliria

3rd Line Checker

• Bronze Booster
  • 493 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:18 PM

Howard was FANTASTIC in last night's game. I showed my boyfriend, who doesn't even like hockey let alone watch it, Howard's save on Danny Sedin... and even he was like "Wow. That is one of the craziest saves I've ever seen. That's amazing." Love to see him when he's got some confidence in him!

Zetterberg really showed up at the end for the team - making some amazing plays and putting the pressure on as much as he could. Even Mule picked up his lackluster shooting and scored a goal. I wish we could've seen the effort from the 3rd on the whole game but we got the W and that's what matters.

Edited by Selliria, 09 January 2011 - 03:18 PM.

#738 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,504 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 04:01 PM

the Frozen Moment image on NHL.com is a great still shot of Jimmy totally robbing the Onion Twin.

I am at work, or I would capture and post it. hint...

puckloo39dom.jpg

“Next time I tell you someone from Texas should not be president of the United States, please pay attention."

Best ever

#739 Selliria

Selliria

3rd Line Checker

• Bronze Booster
  • 493 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 04:12 PM

the Frozen Moment image on NHL.com is a great still shot of Jimmy totally robbing the Onion Twin.

I am at work, or I would capture and post it. hint...

Posted Image

#740 CanadaBoy

CanadaBoy

The Red Wing Ring

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,593 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 04:50 PM

Posted Image

Thanks, welcome to LGW!
But my most coveted thing is a high self-esteem
And a low tolerance for them telling me how to lean
See the most important parts are the ones that are unseen
The Wings don't make you fly and the Crown don't make you king
Now God don't like ugly, ain't too happy bout pretty
I am ignorance's enemy so stay out of the vicinity of...
~ Lupe Fiasco - Gold Watch