• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
VM1138

Datsyuk Placed on IR

Rate this topic

Not seeing Datsyuk in the lineup for any amount of time is a strange sight, as he's missed just three games over the previous three seasons.

Huh?

Wow. That's true. Why did I think he missed a lot more?

Edited by Broken 16

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=548958

I'm a little fuzzy about the rules pertaining to IR, why did it take so long to place him on it? And doesn't being placed on IR force him to sit out 10 games or something like that?

Oh, and they called up MacDonald to fill his roster spot.

I'm fairly certain that they can place a player on LTIR retroactively to his injury date. So the 9 games (19 days, including today) that he's already missed will count toward the requirements of missed games/days.

I'm fairly certain that they can place a player on LTIR retroactively to his injury date. So the 9 games (19 days, including today) that he's already missed will count toward the requirements of missed games/days.

You are 100% correct sir... they might not retroactive his IR all the way back though, I'm sure they worked it out with doctors so that his LTIR will be ending right around the time he is expected back...

They put him on short term IR not LTIR. Short term is 7 days and opens a roster spot but doesn't give cap relief. So they just did it to give a roster spot for Macdonald, knowing Datsyuk won't be back within 7 days.

They put him on short term IR not LTIR. Short term is 7 days and opens a roster spot but doesn't give cap relief. So they just did it to give a roster spot for Macdonald, knowing Datsyuk won't be back within 7 days.

Why not LTIR him at this point though to be honest? Frees up the roster spot as well and it's not like he'll be ready before they can lift it, especially if they retroactive it...

Guest Heaten

I'm not sure why Holland doesn't put all the injured players on LTIR to free up cap space, which (i think) will pay for Modano's bonus that will count against the cap next year (like the Toews deal), or am I wrong?

Then again, Modano may not get his bonus for not playing 'X' amount of regular season games. I wonder if there is a cause in Dats/Stuey/Cleary that says if they get placed on LTIR, they lose bonuses? So maybe out of respect Holland does not put them on LTIR so they get their money.

...or am I looking too deep into things? I just don't understand why not place the players on LTIR when they know they will not return anytime soon...

Guest Crymson

I'm not sure why Holland doesn't put all the injured players on LTIR to free up cap space, which (i think) will pay for Modano's bonus that will count against the cap next year (like the Toews deal), or am I wrong?

Then again, Modano may not get his bonus for not playing 'X' amount of regular season games. I wonder if there is a cause in Dats/Stuey/Cleary that says if they get placed on LTIR, they lose bonuses? So maybe out of respect Holland does not put them on LTIR so they get their money.

...or am I looking too deep into things? I just don't understand why not place the players on LTIR when they know they will not return anytime soon...

LTIR doesn't free up cap space. It allows the team to temporarily exceed the salary cap by the amount that the player's cap hit is.

That's not how cap relief works, you don't get additional capspace from it, it just allows teams to stay cap compliant while a player is out for call-ups, but they must become cap compliant the minute the player is off IR... also, bonuses very rarely go off of games played, but even if they did, it would still be just that - games played, not games active.

There is no need to put a player on IR or LTIR unless you have 23 players on the active roster and you need to call up another player. Datsyuk, Modano, Cleary, Stuart,etc... not being put on LTIR isn't bad managing on Holland's part, it's just that it's not needed. If the Wings need a player to be called up, you'll see a player put on IR (Which last for at least 7 days) and if we need cap space, you'll see a player retroactive to his injury be place on LTIR (at least 30 days/10games). Got it?

Pretty sure Modano will not be getting any of his bonus clauses this year. Maybe one for making it deeper in the playoffs, but for veteran skaters it is usually performance and games played based.

Pretty sure Modano will not be getting any of his bonus clauses this year. Maybe one for making it deeper in the playoffs, but for veteran skaters it is usually performance and games played based.

Modano's bonuses are...

$150,000 for playing in 40 games

$100,000 for playing in 55 games

$125,000 for Round 1 playoff win

$125,000 for Round 2 playoff win

So there's still a chance that he'll play in 40 games and we all hope he gets the last 2 bonuses.