• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
evanbartlett

2011 All-Star Rosters Game rosters named

Rate this topic

on LeBrun's twitter, he said he thinks the wings most likely asked the league to not pick zetterberg...and people are complaining datsyuk isn't there? if the league is picking the remaining players, why would they pick someone who most likely won't be able to play? Who really cares? all star games haven't been fun since the 90's.

I was thinking this too. Doug McLean said on the radio today that there are a lot of guys that would rather take the weekend break than play. Some players are disappointed when they get picked.

If the Wings and Nick want him to rest we have the flexibility to do so with the Devils the game before and the Sens the game after the break it wouldnt be hard to comply with the new rule of sitting the game before or the game after, either way he would get a week to just relax and rest up. I wouldnt mind that since we have a crazy busy schedule at the beginning of February with 4 in 6 and one basically every other night until Feb 13th. But just MHO there and why I am not a coach or admin in the Wings organization.

Edited by legaleaglewingsfan

Shanny confirms that some players requested to not be selected for the ASG.

Funny how that's okay this season.

Yes, but it is a step forward in the right direction. Hank's back has to be still be bothering him.

Thank jeebus that Shanny is in the political cogs of the NHL now. Hopefully he can do more.

of course the wings only have one player... the guys picking the teams are from the penguins and blackhawks

I have to disagree with this line of reasoning. The Penguins and Hawks may consider the Wings rivals but I'm sure they have respect for guys like Lidstrom, Zetterberg and Datsyuk (and that our guys have respect for their top players). Playing against someone gives you a pretty good idea of their talent and skillset. For example, after the 2008 finals when Crosby was asked who the top player in the league was he said (and I'm paraphasing here) that Ovechkin was the best 1-on-1 but the best overall hockey player was Zetterberg. That opinion was obviously influenced by the fact that he fought Zetterberg on every shift during the finals and got owned by him.

As for comments that the Wings didn't want Zetterberg picked for the game-- I can see that. Zetterberg always seems to be nursing an injury of some sort so that week off will do wonders for him. On the other hand I'd rather they send Zetterberg than Lidstrom. Lids has less tread left on his tires so it only makes sense to limit his milage any way you can.

What would be cool is if they still honoured injured guys like Datsyuk during the game. Dats was having an excellent season before his hand injury and could still participate in the media events during the All-Star weekend. When the top defensive forward in the league puts 39pts uo in the first 33 games it's a shame to leave him out of the festivities. Plus it's not like Datsyuk should be worn out right now... sending him to the All-Star weekend would probably be a welcome change of pace from training, training, training and waiting around for his hand to heal.

Regarding the notion that Howard and Franzen were snubbed: they weren't. Howard doesn't deserve to make the All-Star team this season (and I'd rather his agent didn't have that bargining chip anyway). Jimmy's GAA and Sv% both sit at 29th overall and he's only 14th in SO. It's hard to justify sending a guy who's not even top 20 statistically based on the fact that he leads the league in wins by 1. Franzen's only 47th in scoring right now, sitting behind guys like MacArthur, Hedjuk, Clowe, Williams, Ladd and Dubinsky. His best stat is scoring and even there he's only tied for 11th overall. His numbers this season are all that spectacular. If he had cracked 20 goals by now he would've had a better chance.

You'd think that with the players being disappointed when picked to go and the rising number of fans who find the ASG a total joke, Bettman would at least look into reconstructing the whole idea.

It's clearly broken.

Edited by Selliria

From a Wings perspective, the only disagreement I would have is not selecting Zetterberg, but I think I'd have to believe the notion that a specific request was made by Holland not to pick him.

Someone on here actually suggested Howard should have been "automatic"....really? Why? I think that is probably the biggest joke, not the players selected.

Someone also mentioned no Kovy...assuming he/she was referring to Kovalchuk and if that's the case, not sure why they are thinking, he's been absolutely terrible this year.

Looks like they did try to get as many teams represented as possible, which explains guys like Kessel getting picked, but they still didn't get every team represented, I don't see anyone from Phoenix, Buffalo, Florida or NYI, but I could have missed them.

lol @ people saying this

The ASG is like a glorified free skate. Their practices are 10x harder on them than the ASG will ever be. Nick will be fine.

Mental rest. It's an obligation to someone else as opposed to staying at home with the family.

Looks like they did try to get as many teams represented as possible, which explains guys like Kessel getting picked, but they still didn't get every team represented, I don't see anyone from Phoenix, Buffalo, Florida or NYI, but I could have missed them.

They got players on the rookie team which I guess is supposed to count, although they won't be playing in the ASG proper.

You haven't been paying attention. It will be Crosby and Ovie - Just like the Winter Classic, the Olympics, the HBO Special, the games on versus, etc.

I read that they were going to change the format of the playoffs so the Western Conference 8 team playoff is only an exhibition and the Eastern Conference Finals winner will be awarded the Cup. Washington and Pittsburgh are favored to play in that series.

It's so obvious. The NHL simply could not select Zetterberg because: Crosby, being a Captain, refuses to acknowledge when he is outperformed. He would not pick Z for his team. Therefore, Z would automatically be on the opposite team and then shut-down Crysboy in the ASG. They can't let this happen.

So when is Bettman going to go join the KHL and get stuffed in a trunk by the russian mafia?

Obviously it makes no sense that Hank is not on the team...either Kenny requested he not go, or its a gigantic snub. Also...no Briere? The Flyers were in the finals last time, and they only get one pick? It seems like Bettman remembers it as "Pens. vs. Hawks"...but I THOUGHT his beloved Penguins got kicked out in the second round. HMMM.

Also surprised to see nobody from Buffalo...can't imagine they're happy...

Doan gets snubbed in Phoenix...and nobody notices... :lol:

Honestly speaking, about 1/3 of the guys who get picked won't play, either due to injury or wanting to sit out. Happens that way in every league.

Maybe Hank will get in that way.

Hopefully he doesn't for the reasons named other than injury. It's a joke of a game anyway. When is the last ASG you watched, GMR? laugh.gif

Hopefully he doesn't for the reasons named other than injury. It's a joke of a game anyway. When is the last ASG you watched, GMR? laugh.gif

I watched the last one, although not exactly glued to my TV.

I remember when I was a kid, I loved it when many Wings players were in the ASG. Don't know why you guys are so against it now and want all our stars to sit out in protest.

Datsyuk is hurt and Zetterberg was snubbed. No reason for Lidstrom or anyone else to sit out. Not a good way to promote the game for future fans.

bad thing: Nick Lidstrom will not have some rest. and I'd rather have him spare some forces for Cup Finals. he's uberhuman but it's still 40

so every day off is better than some stupid popularity contest.

good thing: the rest of the guys get some days off. if I had a choice I'd rather enjoy my All Star Game in June when my Wings face whomever wins the East ;)

The ASG is like a glorified free skate. Their practices are 10x harder on them than the ASG will ever be. Nick will be fine.

I'd rather sit at home, watch a movie or take my kid to swimming pool or cinema,

than take the flight, stay outside my house for a couple of days and above all

have to endure some Marc-Andre Flurry giving interviews like he was, I dunno,

quality goalie or something like that... :blush:

Time for one of Nick's kids to get strep throat and "give" it to their dad.

Egad, can it just be the flu? I wouldn't wish strep on anyone...well, except maybe Crosby. ;)

As long as it was Zetterberg's/the management's idea for him not to play, I don't mind. Gives him some extra rest, and I know he doesn't like the ASG anyway, so that's okay with me. As long as I know it was his decision and not the world's biggest snub, it suits me just fine.

Cam Ward seems like such a weird pick for a goalie...Yeah, he's 7th in SV%, but he's 17th in GAA. I would've gone with Jonathan Quick, myself (14th in SV%, 4th in GAA). I haven't seen Pekka Rinne play this year except against the Wings, but looking at his stats, it looks like he's been having a good year. Weird that they snubbed Luongo, too...I know the perception is that he hasn't been super outstanding recently, but he's still solid enough. I just...Cam Ward? Okay, whatever.