• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
stevkrause

The curse of... 21?!

Rate this topic

We have never had an overly successful #21 on Detroit and even Errey and Ysebaert(short of one pretty good season) were nothing to write home about in the Winged Wheel, following the taint that Leino put on it, I think Tatar should adorn another numbered sweater when he comes up next to avoid the jinx of 21!

Obviously this is all in jest, but I was just reminded in the report of him being sent back to GR that the last Wing to score in their debut was Leino and he just happened to wear the same sweater, so I thought it was a funny coincidence, but we certainly don't want Tatar's path to take the same as Leino's did here, especially with the high ceiling he has for potential...

EDIT - Side note, 22 should probably be taken out of circulation for a little bit too until the stank of Lebda wears off... and he stunk it up pretty bad, so it might take a few years...

Edited by stevkrause

I for one hope he kills the curse and puts the number to good use or he could just change it too I guess.

I actually wonder if he's one of the types of guys that just doesn't care about his number and takes whatever the club assigns him... he hasn't exactly had the most consistent of numbers in his "career", don't know what he wore growing up, but so far professionally, he's worn 27 in GR (which is available here, but he didn't choose it), and 14 for the National team (which is also available here, but he didn't choose it)... and then 21 in Detroit

Edited by stevkrause

We have never had an overly successful #21 on Detroit and even Errey and Ysebaert(short of one pretty good season) were nothing to write home about in the Winged Wheel, following the taint that Leino put on it, I think Tatar should adorn another numbered sweater when he comes up next to avoid the jinx of 21!

Obviously this is all in jest, but I was just reminded in the report of him being sent back to GR that the last Wing to score in their debut was Leino and he just happened to wear the same sweater, so I thought it was a funny coincidence, but we certainly don't want Tatar's path to take the same as Leino's did here, especially with the high ceiling he has for potential...

EDIT - Side note, 22 should probably be taken out of circulation for a little bit too until the stank of Lebda wears off... and he stunk it up pretty bad, so it might take a few years...

Adam Oates wasn't too bad... But don't forget Grigorenko wore it in pre-season the one year he tried to make it here too!

Adam Oates wasn't too bad... But don't forget Grigorenko wore it in pre-season the one year he tried to make it here too!

yea, but the stank has been put on it since Oates(I had forgotten he wore 21 as well) and like you just said... look at the last 2 prospects to wear it... Grigorenko and Leino :shudders:

Edited by stevkrause

I actually wonder if he's one of the types of guys that just doesn't care about his number and takes whatever the club assigns him... he hasn't exactly had the most consistent of numbers in his "career", don't know what he wore growing up, but so far professionally, he's worn 27 in GR (which is available here, but he didn't choose it), and 14 for the National team (which is also available here, but he didn't choose it)... and then 21 in Detroit

I would assume that Meech still retains the right to the number even while in Grand Rapids.

I think Tatar can fix the bad ju-ju, but what I really came here to say was that 22 DEFINITELY needs to be taken out of circulation. I think Claude Lemieux cursed that number...I mean, obviously he wasn't on our team, but what kind of self-respecting Red Wing would want to wear a number associated with him? And then came Lebda. I can't decide if he's just a victim of the curse or is yet another taint on the number in and of himself...yeah, I'm going to go with the second one. Anyway, please, prospects, don't pick 22!

I think Tatar can fix the bad ju-ju, but what I really came here to say was that 22 DEFINITELY needs to be taken out of circulation. I think Claude Lemieux cursed that number...I mean, obviously he wasn't on our team, but what kind of self-respecting Red Wing would want to wear a number associated with him? And then came Lebda. I can't decide if he's just a victim of the curse or is yet another taint on the number in and of himself...yeah, I'm going to go with the second one. Anyway, please, prospects, don't pick 22!

Hmm...when I think of the #22 Wings sweater, I still think of Dino. When I think of #22 in general I hear a train whistle and want to strangle a puppy.

... he's worn 27 in GR (which is available here, but he didn't choose it), and 14 for the National team (which is also available here, but he didn't choose it)... and then 21 in Detroit

The average between 14 and 27 is 20.5, right? If I had to make my guess, he took 14 and 27, found the number in-between them, and rounded up. :thumbup:

As far as curses? Tatar's hockey skills are the skills that will pierce the hockey heavens. I have full confidence that this kid is going to rock socks in a couple years, and then many years more for the winged wheels. No mere number is gonna hold him back!

When I saw him sporting 21 I was a little upset only because I really dig 27, maybe it is because Sittler was 27. Either way I love 27 and we dont have one. So come on Sauce I know this may seem like a big deal to you in your NHL debut and you might like 21 but I like 27 so please, do it for me...rolleyes.gif

I would assume that Meech still retains the right to the number even while in Grand Rapids.

I wouldn't see how, Holland has made it pretty clear that Meech would not be brought up, as he'd have to be exposed to waivers to go back down... also, he isn't even wearing 14 in GR, so I doubt he's that attached to the number, but you could be right on that account

The average between 14 and 27 is 20.5, right? If I had to make my guess, he took 14 and 27, found the number in-between them, and rounded up. :thumbup:

As far as curses? Tatar's hockey skills are the skills that will pierce the hockey heavens. I have full confidence that this kid is going to rock socks in a couple years, and then many years more for the winged wheels. No mere number is gonna hold him back!

I didn't even think of it that way... hmm... good point...

Personally, if he's going the math route, I think he should just add the 2 and wear 41... that way when he ends up on Hanks wing (where he eventually will :) ) we can have 40 and 41 playing together :)

Edited by stevkrause

Marcel Pronovost, Andy Bathgate, and Adam Oates all wore 21 for at least part of their time in Detroit.

Speaking of numbers, I think we should sign Jimmy Carson back to a one-game tryout deal, and he can wear #6. That way Larry Aurie's number would be officially retired (again) and hung from the rafters.