• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HankthaTank

2011 MLB Season Thread

Rate this topic

My bad, no TV for this one. Won't be on ESPN until the Detroit/Atlanta game on Thursday. Ahhhhh, I can feel the warmth in the bleachers at Comerica now thumbup.gif

Yeah, it's on ESPN3.com on Thursday, too.

A friend of mine gave me an MLB Gameday Audio password, so I can listen to it on the radio while in class.

I like Raburn batting 2nd until Sizemore is ready.

Yeah, it's a little bit of a rock and a hard place for me. He's not the fastest guy in the world and his bat has power, but if he keeps his pace from last season he'll too good to bury in the 7 spot. If Sizemore can live up to this hype, I'll be thrilled - but I'm a skeptic. I'm all about Will Rhymes, though, that kid is all hustle.

ESPN's MLB page has Tigers all over it right now, Baseball Tonight was in Lakeland yesterday and there are lots of videos up. Including an interview with Leyland where he says Verlander and Scherzer are as good as any 1-2 punch in baseball. I don't know that I agree with him, but Leyland doesn't say things just for the sake of it.

3-run double for Miggy and Turner retired 8 in a row after giving up 2 singles. The kid looks like a stud and another golden arm to add. Boy oh boy if we could have a Verlander-Scherzer-Ricky P-Turner rotation in the near future..... Possibly pencil Andy Oliver as our usual 1 lefty. Things are looking up thumbup.gif

If only the Tigers focused as hard on drafting position players as they do pitchers...

I'm quite stoked about Jacob Turner though. Oliver too if he learns how to control his secondary pitches. You don't get many lefties throwing 95 MPH. Everyone around Tigers camp seems pretty high on Andy Dirks in the OF. Plenty of competition to go around for reserve spots in the outfield with Boesch, Wells, Kelly, Dirks and Clete Thomas back. Good thing because we need some defensive replacements in the corners for Raburn and Maggs.

29 days and counting... :yahoo:

If only the Tigers focused as hard on drafting position players as they do pitchers...

29 days and counting... :yahoo:

laugh.gif Too true. But as we saw last year with the 2 teams that made the Series...PITCHING PITCHING PITCHING

And honestly, Opening Day is my favorite thing to look forward to all year. That and the home opener for Michigan. Just an all day drink fest biggrin.gif

Raburn was a two-bagger away from the cycle yesterday. Tigers move to 5-0, while outscoring their opponents 23-6.

Great Spring thus far. I'm really excited to actually catch a game on Thursday. I love Dave, but radio isn't quite cutting it.

Hope we get a chance to see Turner this year, realizing this will mean some sort injury to make it happen but it's a long season and no one ever goes through a season with the same 5 in the rotation. Not any kind of wishful thinking here just facts.

^^^ I like. Switch out Clete for Raburn and that is one rock solid 1-9 squad there. I shall be tuned in today.

Oh, BTW Zumaya has tenderness in elbow...... rolleyes.gif

Not surprising. Dude is made of chewing gum and sticks. I was hoping his beard would protect him against injury.

I agree about Thomas for Raburn. If Boesch can return to early season form, that is a line up with a lot of pop. Here's hoping Brendan not only makes the team, but manages to hit the way he did until the All-Star Break. How great would it be to see him batting 6th or 7th again and pushing Inge's .2somthing average into the 9 spot? A lot better than GMoney's .004 BA from last year.

03. DH Ordonez

04. 1B Cabrera

05. C Martinez

06. SS Peralta

That could possibly contend for the best 3-6 lineup in the bigs. Jhonny and V-Mart really can just fuel Miggy for a MVP type season. Protection is what he has lacked and he still has put up them #'s. Gets protection, we could see 45-50 HR's. Not trying to shoot for the moon but that is just facts.

I can't believe I typed 'Brendan' in my last post. I had to step away, but I saw the reply. What a bomb. More of those, please.

I totally agree that Cabby could easily flirt with 50 home runs if he has proper protection and is in the same condition he was in last year. He's looking a little chubbier than usual this spring, but he's been known to drop poundage throughout Spring Training. I can't wait until he goes yard for the first time. I'm going to lose it.

Great piece of hitting by Big Will.

Boesch just hit a bomb around 400+ feet. Swing looked great.

I love his swing. Dare I say it's Griffey-esque; it just looks so smooth.

Did anybody listen to the Ticket a couple days ago when they talked about Verlander possibly winning 20 games and being a consistent 20 game winner? I believe he'll do it this season and be consistent at it. His talent is unbelievable and at 28 or 29 now he's starting to get to that age range where the good pitchers finally put everything together.

I love his swing. Dare I say it's Griffey-esque; it just looks so smooth.

Did anybody listen to the Ticket a couple days ago when they talked about Verlander possibly winning 20 games and being a consistent 20 game winner? I believe he'll do it this season and be consistent at it. His talent is unbelievable and at 28 or 29 now he's starting to get to that age range where the good pitchers finally put everything together.

I don't listen to the Ticket (I'm not on the right side of the state for that) but that's a quote directly from Jim Leyland.

I've never liked Inge... might be just me, though.

If Boesch can return to the rare form he displayed last season, we might have the most dangerous line-up in all of the MLB and most certainly the AL as it stands now.

Rick Porcello yielded just one hit over three scoreless innings of work

Yeaaahhhh Ricky P. This kid is poised for a great season. Rotation and lineup are looking better than a lot of past seasons. I truly am getting more excited by the day. 25 days and counting!

Yeaaahhhh Ricky P. This kid is poised for a great season. Rotation and lineup are looking better than a lot of past seasons. I truly am getting more excited by the day. 25 days and counting!

Yeah, here's hoping Rick can live up to his potential at this point. That'll be a solid 1-3. I'm still worried about Coke making the move to the rotation, but I think Penny could surprise a lot of people.

I've never liked Inge... might be just me, though.

If Boesch can return to the rare form he displayed last season, we might have the most dangerous line-up in all of the MLB and most certainly the AL as it stands now.

Nope, I never have either. Was hoping we would be freed of 6000 strikeout man after last season.

I do think the Tigers have the potential to have a dangerous line-up but there are still quite a few question marks. However, the Red Sox blow everyone out of the water 1-9. That team is loaded and Gonzalez is going to go nuts hitting outside of Petco.

A little info on the possible next budding star for the Tigers, Jacob Turner.

Baseball America rated Turner as the top prospect in the organization and No. 21 overall in the game for a reason.

Detroit lost to Toronto 7-4 but the story of the game was the young pitcher with a mound presence that belies his age. How unusual is it for a prospect to have that sense of composure?"Very, very much so," Jones said. "You just come with it or you don't."

Turner, Detroit's first-round pick in 2009, said, "I've just always felt comfortable on the mound. And I came to spring training last year and watched how everyone did it up here, and it kept me relaxed. I learned from them."

mlive

“Joel Zumaya will not pick up a baseball until he is pain free,” said Rand. “There is soreness in his elbow and forearm, and with Joel Zumaya there is no timetable.”

rolleyes.gif Anybody else think he's done with?

Edited by HankthaTank