• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HankthaTank

2011 MLB Season Thread

Rate this topic

PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. -- Roster cut-down time is three weeks away, and Detroit Tigers manager Jim Leyland isn’t offering much on his thoughts along those lines. But he was asked if it was fair to say that it will come down to two spots for four outfielders: Brennan Boesch, Andy Dirks, Clete Thomas and Casper Wells.

“You know we’re got (Austin) Jackson, (Ryan) Raburn and Magglio (Ordonez) in the outfield,” Leyland said. “And you know you’ve got (Don) Kelly.”Kelly can play any position on the field, including catcher.

“Boesch, obviously, is a big-time candidate,” Leyland continued.

Boesch has edge to earn outfield spot

I instantly became a fan of this kid during his streak. He seems like the right kind of star for this town. Quiet, country kid who just goes about his business and hitting frozen ropes. Hopefully he can get it going for the 2011 campaign.

Detroit Tigers Links: Joel Zumaya won't throw for two weeks

• Following his visit with Dr. James Andrews, Joel Zumaya was told not to throw for at least a week. But the timetable may be a bit longer. Zumaya told MLB.com's Jason Beck that he won't be throwing for two weeks, during which he'll follow a strengthening program. That makes it all but official that Zumaya won't be ready for Opening Day.

Surprise surprise.

One of the reasons we threw a ton of money at Benoit. Hopefully Joel takes his time and gets healthy.

Additionally, I really hope we see Boesch make the team - he's had a solid enough Spring and he's definitely one of my favorite youngsters, too.

Guest ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

will the regular season just start already?! ive been waiting for this day for awhile now. i cant wait til opening day!

i've said the jays would have a great year ever since they won back to back titles, and look at the end result. no playoff birth since. :ph34r:

so im gonna say they will have a terrible year and it will just be like previous years passed. :sly:

will the regular season just start already?! ive been waiting for this day for awhile now. i cant wait til opening day!

i've said the jays would have a great year ever since they won back to back titles, and look at the end result. no playoff birth since. :ph34r:

so im gonna say they will have a terrible year and it will just be like previous years passed. :sly:

Your Jays actually look like they could have themselves a good season. Bautista is a bonafide homerun hitter and the youth movement in Toronto is one of the more impressive in the bigs. I like the Jays and hope they can finally contend in the formally known as "Red Sox-Yankees-Rays division". Sox will be tough but maybe you can eke out a wild card IF the Tigers don't take it first wink.gif

Your Jays actually look like they could have themselves a good season. Bautista is a bonafide homerun hitter and the youth movement in Toronto is one of the more impressive in the bigs. I like the Jays and hope they can finally contend in the formally known as "Red Sox-Yankees-Rays division". Sox will be tough but maybe you can eke out a wild card IF the Tigers don't take it first wink.gif

Agreed. The only team of the 3 to improve are the Red Sox, and while they did so drastically - the Rays (obviously) got worse and the Yankees just were just treading water this off-season. Granted, it's the Yankees - but all their stars are another year older, too.

I also think the Orioles are going to surprise people, too. Showalter is instilling an attitude of winning in that clubhouse and hopefully they can keep up what they did last year under him (34-23). Derek Lee, JJ Hardy, Vlad Guerrero, and Mark Reynolds are all legitimate additions to this team. It would make me happy to see them do well.

More coming to light with a dash photo from the cop car as well. dry.gif Wow Miggy.

Tigers slugger Miguel Cabrera asked police to shoot and kill him moments prior to his arrest for drunk driving last month, according to evidence released Wednesday by the Florida state attorney's office.

According to released documents,Cabrera told a sheriff deputy to "(expletive) shoot me. Kill me," after being instructed to drop to his knees.

Deputy: Miguel Cabrera told police to shoot and kill him on night of arrest

Edited by HankthaTank

He is so clearly beyond hammered in that video. I don't even think I have an adjective to describe his condition.

Also, I didn't expect the bottle of scotch to be the size of a wine bottle.

Edited by Travis

He is so clearly beyond hammered in that video. I don't even think I have an adjective to describe his condition.

Also, I didn't expect the bottle of scotch to be the size of a wine bottle.

In no way was the situation ever a good thing. But with the photos/video coming to light, it has certainly taken a much more negative turn. He truly has a problem.

In no way was the situation ever a good thing. But with the photos/video coming to light, it has certainly taken a much more negative turn. He truly has a problem.

I don't feel like the photos or video make it any worse, these reports that he told people he'd shoot them and told the arresting officer to kill him certainly do though.

I don't feel like the photos or video make it any worse, these reports that he told people he'd shoot them and told the arresting officer to kill him certainly do though.

Well, thats what I kind of meant. The details of this whole situation coming out is what has really put blacker eye on it. Hearing is in 6 days so we will see.

Santiago could possibly be traded to the Phillies due to an injury to All-Star 2nd baseman Chase Utley.

It is possible CBSSports.com’s Danny Knobler was simply drawing names out of a hat, but the former Booth Newspaper reporter suggested Tigers utility infielder Ramon Santiago as a possible trade candidate for Philadelphia.

mlive

Santiago could possibly be traded to the Phillies due to an injury to All-Star 2nd baseman Chase Utley.

mlive

I wonder if we could get anything of real value for him. Doubt it.

My Dad would be disappointed to see him go, but we're deep at the 2B spot as far as position players go and the only other spot he plays is short.

I wonder if we could get anything of real value for him. Doubt it.

My Dad would be disappointed to see him go, but we're deep at the 2B spot as far as position players go and the only other spot he plays is short.

I also doubt it. Santiago has always been a bit undervalued imo. Leyland gave him like weekly chances to prove himself as an everyday guy, similar to Raburn, and it just never really panned out long term. He is still a useful piece though and could fill for Jhonny or Rhymes/Sizemore. Probably just too much of a logjam in the middle infield to make sense of keeping him.

Edited by HankthaTank

JUPITER, Fla. -- Detroit Tigers starter Justin Verlander pitched four strong innings, and third baseman Brandon Inge hit a three-run homer Thursday night in a 6-1 win over the Florida Marlins.

Had to report this bit of news. Inge hit a three-run home run! hehe.gif But Verlander stays sharp. Seriously, let's go baseball.

Detroit Tigers Links: Gothic 'D' hat is rated second worst in baseball

no.gif Could not disagree more. The Tigers' hat is one of the best and while I am quite partial, I don't really how it would be anywhere close to the bottom.

What a laughable list. If only for the fact that the Tigers are one of the few 'national' teams in that you'll see the Old English D anywhere in the country. It also has huge appeal with non-Tigers / non-baseball fans. I'm sure those people are snatching them up because of how ugly they are.

People were worrying about Cabrera hitting??? confused.gif

The Tigers' first baseman is hitting .306 with nine RBIs in 36 at-bats since reporting to spring training a week late after a DUI arrest in south Florida.

mlive

Had to post the story because the comments at the bottom are too funny.

Edited by HankthaTank

Is this the former Tiger? Luis Salazar?

Struck by Foul ball..loses eye

The 54-year-old Salazar was standing against the railing on the top step of the dugout during a game between the Braves and St. Louis Cardinals when Brian McCann(notes) fouled a ball in his direction. Salazar was unable to get out of the way and fell head-first back into the dugout.

The game was stopped for almost 20 minutes so Salazar could be airlifted to an Orlando hospital. He regained consciousness on the way and was treated for multiple facial fractures, but doctors were unable to save his left eye.

WOW!

A look at Clete Thomas and how the Detroit Tigers' 25-man roster is shaping up

Will Rhymes (who singled and doubled Wednesday), Scott Sizemore and Danny Worth are competing for the second base spot.

Sizemore’s .235 spring training batting average was the highest in the group, and Worth is considered the best defender. Rhymes batted .304 in 54 games with Detroit in 2010.

Personally, I'd like to see Rhymes with the big club. He was steady defensively and is a good #2 lineup guy. Good contact and speed to move A Jack around. We will see but it would appear that Sizemore may never be anything but a .230 something guy.