• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HankthaTank

2011 MLB Season Thread

Rate this topic

Nothing against Clete Thomas, but Casper Wells is better at everything. Wells and Boesch should be the two outfielders on the team.

I like Will Rhymes, however, Scott Sizemore has far more upside. Whether he puts it all together in the big leagues is another question, but I would prefer he gets a shot to start at second base.

Sizemore did get a shot last season and didn't really do anything with it. He is probably a good player, but I just didn't see it last season. I really like Rhymes though, he is scrappy and can pepper the ball all over for hits.

Edited by rwfan007

Sizemore was still recovering to start the year and then it spiraled for him. He played pretty well when he got called back up from Toledo. I don't think either Rhymes or Sizemore is all that good defensively, which scares me with Peralta over at short.

Hopefully one or both of Rhymes and Sizemore comes through because Guillen certainly can't be counted on to stay healthy.

Detroit Tigers Links: Gothic 'D' hat is rated second worst in baseball

no.gif Could not disagree more. The Tigers' hat is one of the best and while I am quite partial, I don't really how it would be anywhere close to the bottom.

Wow. Obviously, whoever made that list is probably buddies with the Edmonton sports writer who made fun of Detroit before a Wings/Oilers game.

per mlive

Detroit is closer to answering the question as to who will start at second base on Opening Day --- and the answer may surprise some Tigers' fans.

Scott Sizemore, considered by some as the odds-on-favorite to win the job, is officially out of the running, according to Tigers officials.

Outfielder Clete Thomas, catcher Max St. Pierre, and relievers Robbie Weinhardt and Fu- Te Ni were also sent to the minor leagues.

Sizemore's demotion may be the biggest surprise of Tuesday morning's moves. Sizemore looked poised to reclaim his starting second base job after struggling much of last season.

Edited by HankthaTank

I'm all about Big Willie Rhymes. I can't imagine he wouldn't make the team.

Having said that, Sizemore (along with Robbie Weinhardt and Clete Thomas) have been optioned to AAA Toledo. Guess that makes Rhymes a lock.

Rhymes or Worth will get it. Worth's hitting has improved and defensively, Leyland likes him better than the other 2. Wouldn't be out of the realm to see him make the opening day start at 2nd either. We might have to deal one of these young outfielders that we have, though. Derks, Boesch, and Wells all look to be primed to make the big club and hopefully make some noise.

Rhymes or Worth will get it. Worth's hitting has improved and defensively, Leyland likes him better than the other 2. Wouldn't be out of the realm to see him make the opening day start at 2nd either. We might have to deal one of these young outfielders that we have, though. Derks, Boesch, and Wells all look to be primed to make the big club and hopefully make some noise.

Rhymes has been announced as the Opening Day 2B.

On Twitter:

@willrhymes: Thanks for the support. I can't wait to get to Detroit and play as hard as possible every night for the fans and the city..

Edited by Travis

I'm quite surprised Weinhardt didn't make the team. He has great stuff and I thought for sure he would be a lock with Zumaya out. The bullpen scares me right now - tons of potential, but plenty of uncertainty. Benoit had one tremendous year and got overpaid, Perry can't locate pitches, Valverde broke down in the second half and Schlereth will be really good but that may still take some time.

We'll see in about a week I guess. So pumped for Opening Day.

Rhymes has been announced as the Opening Day 2B.

Definitely works for me. Rhymes reminds me of myself :lol: Short 2nd baseman who can hit, shaky defense. I liked his effort when he came in and hope to see it continue into this season as that is one of the glaring parts of the lineup.

per mlive

Starter Phil Coke will begin the season in the bullpen, getting his first start on April 9 in Detroit against the Kansas City Royals. Two off-days during the first week of the season necessitated somebody in the five-man rotation getting skipped the first time through.

Probably for the best that Coke gets skipped off the bat. He has been pretty shaky and it's his first go in the bigs with a starting spot. We can only hope he pans out as a solid lefty, which we have lacked for quite a few years now.

Definitely works for me. Rhymes reminds me of myself :lol: Short 2nd baseman who can hit, shaky defense. I liked his effort when he came in and hope to see it continue into this season as that is one of the glaring parts of the lineup.

He's like Brandon Inge 2.0 in that the guy just works. Real likable guy that the fans can identify with, and I'm personally happy to see him in the 2 slot. I can't imagine who we'd put there in his place.

Looks like I get to see Cokey's first start of the year.

Looking at the standings, the Tigers currently sit atop the Grapefruit league with the most wins, highest winning percentage (of course) as well as the fewest runs allowed and the second highest run differential. Impressive considering the team with the second-fewest runs allowed - Atlanta - has played 5 fewer games than the Tiges.

Here's hoping it's a sign of things to come!

Alrighty, lets see here, 25-man roster for Opening Day is as follows:

C - Avila

1B - Cabrera

2B - Rhymes

3B - Inge

SS - Peralta

LF - Raburn

CF - Jackson

RF - Ordonez

DH - Martinez

Bench

IF - Santiago

OF - Boesch

OF - Wells

OF - Kelly

SP1 - Verlander

SP2 - Scherzer

SP3 - Porcello

SP4 - Penny

SP5 - Coke

RP - Gonzalez

RP - Schlereth

RP - Perry

RP - Villarreal

RP - Thomas

SU - Benoit

CP - Valverde

and my guess as to the opening day lineup based on what I have read and seen on TV is:

1. Jackson CF

2. Raburn LF

3. Ordonez DH

4. Cabrera 1B

5. Martinez C

6. Peralta SS

7. Wells/Boesch RF

8. Inge 3B

9. Rhymes 2B

SP Verlander

I heard that Avila may not start Opening Day against Sabathia due to CC being a lefty, so Martinez will catch, and Maggs will likely take over DH or either Wells/Boesch will DH or take Maggs spot in RF.

In any case, its a pretty good lineup with a Cy Young battle on the mound, should be a fantastic opening day in the Bronx.

Alrighty, lets see here, 25-man roster for Opening Day is as follows:

C - Avila

1B - Cabrera

2B - Rhymes

3B - Inge

SS - Peralta

LF - Raburn

CF - Jackson

RF - Ordonez

DH - Martinez

Bench

IF - Santiago

OF - Boesch

OF - Wells

OF - Kelly

SP1 - Verlander

SP2 - Scherzer

SP3 - Porcello

SP4 - Penny

SP5 - Coke

RP - Gonzalez

RP - Schlereth

RP - Perry

RP - Villarreal

RP - Thomas

SU - Benoit

CP - Valverde

and my guess as to the opening day lineup based on what I have read and seen on TV is:

1. Jackson CF

2. Raburn LF

3. Ordonez DH

4. Cabrera 1B

5. Martinez C

6. Peralta SS

7. Wells/Boesch RF

8. Inge 3B

9. Rhymes 2B

SP Verlander

I heard that Avila may not start Opening Day against Sabathia due to CC being a lefty, so Martinez will catch, and Maggs will likely take over DH or either Wells/Boesch will DH or take Maggs spot in RF.

In any case, its a pretty good lineup with a Cy Young battle on the mound, should be a fantastic opening day in the Bronx.

I think we're looking at:

1. CF Jackson

2. 2B Rhymes

3. DH Ordonez

4. 1B Cabrera

5. C Martinez

6. SS Peralta

7. RF Raburn

8. LF Boesch

9. 3B Inge

I love Rhymes in the 2nd slot because he has the speed of a table-setter, whereas Raburn's bat has too much pop to be a successful second-slot guy.

I think we're looking at:

1. CF Jackson

2. 2B Rhymes

3. DH Ordonez

4. 1B Cabrera

5. C Martinez

6. SS Peralta

7. RF Raburn

8. LF Boesch

9. 3B Inge

I love Rhymes in the 2nd slot because he has the speed of a table-setter, whereas Raburn's bat has too much pop to be a successful second-slot guy.

Rhymes won't be in the 2 spot against a lefty like CC. Leyland hinted to put Rhymes lower in the lineup against the lefties and having Rabonez up at the 2. I honestly hope he keeps up the tear he closed the year on.

Baseball and hockey playoffs coming. START!!!

Rhymes won't be in the 2 spot against a lefty like CC. Leyland hinted to put Rhymes lower in the lineup against the lefties and having Rabonez up at the 2. I honestly hope he keeps up the tear he closed the year on.

Baseball and hockey playoffs coming. START!!!

Raburn looked really good in yesterday's game, making Wandy Rodriguez through 12 pitches in his first at bat and drawing a walk. I've softened on the idea of Raburn in the 2-slot after watching that replay.

They're sure getting their dick's smashed today, though, eh? 13-3 in the 8th right now. Luke Scott drove in 7.

Luke Scott drove in 7.

I'm done with Spring Training baseball to be honest :lol: He always kills us anyway, nothing too new here.

April 8th beerchug.gif

Picked the fantasy team last night and was shocked that I got the 3rd overall pick and Albert somehow fell to me. thumbup.gif Winning!

I think everyone just wants the spring to be done and get on with the regular season. Playing games that don't matter for an entire month is getting boring for everyone.

Looks like Jim is going with the real everyday lineup to start with. Here is your 2011 Detroit Tigers Opening Day lineup against the New York Yankees.

CF Austin Jackson

2B Will Rhymes

RF Magglio Ordoñez

1B Miguel Cabrera

DH Victor Martinez

LF Ryan Raburn

SS Jhonny Peralta

3B Brandon Inge

C Alex Avila

P Justin Verlander