• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HankthaTank

2011 MLB Season Thread

Rate this topic

Brad Penny: 10 outs, 6 runs, 1 fight with VMart, 8,000 boos.

Let's trade for 2 starters and cut Penny loose. I was for this signing, but he's been okay at his best and atrocious at his worst.

Tigers are looking like your standard s***ty second-half team this week. Hopefully they pull out of it before they end up 3rd in the Central again.

What the hell was Penny upset with Martinez for? I didn't mind the guy before today, but that whole episode pissed me off on top of his stellar start. Locate your pitches better you big doofus instead of bitching out your catcher in the middle of play. The Tigers pitching is so bad - I agree Travis, maybe two starters is a necessity after Penny's showing. Porcello has the wins, but I'm not even confident at all with him as the three. I wish Turner was here at this point - the Tigers rushed Bonderman, Verlander and Porcello to the big leagues yet they seem quite reluctant to let Turner come up.

David Purcey needs to go too. Call Perry back up or Wilk. His last two outings alone are enough for a demotion.

Edited by GoWings1905

What the hell was Penny upset with Martinez for? I didn't mind the guy before today, but that whole episode pissed me off on top of his stellar start. Locate your pitches better you big doofus instead of bitching out your catcher in the middle of play. The Tigers pitching is so bad - I agree Travis, maybe two starters is a necessity after Penny's showing. Porcello has the wins, but I'm not even confident at all with him as the three. I wish Turner was here at this point - the Tigers rushed Bonderman, Verlander and Porcello to the big leagues yet they seem quite reluctant to let Turner come up.

David Purcey needs to go too. Call Perry back up or Wilk. His last two outings alone are enough for a demotion.

Yeah, you've gotta think there's no way Purcey stays with the club after today's showings. That's 5 walks to 6 batters in his last two appearances? Bring up Wilk or Oliveros, I was happy with Lester's stuff. Unfortunately Alburquerque is battling the injury bug. Coke, Al, Benoit, and Valverde is a great bullpen with the occasional appearance from Wilk or Oliveros.

Penny will have a lot of explaining to do after today's outing, no doubt about it, especially after blowing up at Martinez. It's not VMart's fault you're hanging pitches and missing the zone, Brad. I would absolutely love to see the Tigers get someone of high enough caliber to push Scherzer and Porcello back in the rotation. Nothing against either one of them, I just want to see the Tigers be aggressive at the deadline. I'm sure Dombrowski survives the layoffs if they don't make the post season again - but Leyland and Co. certainly won't.. and maybe that's not a bad thing.

I almost think it would be worth trading Turner if we could get Jimenez. We have a young staff minus Penny, and we can always get surprised by Oliver or get another pitcher next season in Penny's place. Verlander is 28, he has a good 10-12 years left, Scherzer is 27, Porcello is 22, Jimenez is 27. I would trade Turner for Jimenez at this point.

I almost think it would be worth trading Turner if we could get Jimenez. We have a young staff minus Penny, and we can always get surprised by Oliver or get another pitcher next season in Penny's place. Verlander is 28, he has a good 10-12 years left, Scherzer is 27, Porcello is 22, Jimenez is 27. I would trade Turner for Jimenez at this point.

Jimenez would be amazing, but Dan and Jim said on the radio yesterday that there is talk that Colorado's asking price for Jimenez "starts with Porcello or Scherzer" and goes north from there. So basically, he's on the trading block - but Colorado has priced him so high that he's not really on the trading block.

Only a few days left, though, Dombrowski has to pull the trigger on something soon. What about Matt Garza? I know he just signed with the Cubs this off-season and has struggled more than the North Siders had hoped, but he also has a crappy team behind him. The Cubs just traded their best outfielder and Aramis Ramirez says he's not going anywhere (NTC) - so I wonder if Garza is quietly available.

I'm sorry, but I'm not giving up Turner for anything at the deadline including Jimenez. Knowing Dombrowski though, I would not be surprised at all if he ended up doing so with his future possibly hinging on this season's results.

Let's be honest as we all follow the team closely here: they would be far and away the 4th best team in the AL should they even make the playoffs with this roster right now. The Red Sox and Rangers would destroy the Tigers in a series and while I think the Yankees pitching has more holes than the Tigers, I still believe the Yankees are quite a bit better. I want to see the Tigers win now just as bad as anyone, but IMO it would be very short-sighted to trade away Jacob Turner. Are the Tigers better than the Rangers or Red Sox even with Jimenez?

The "win now" philosophy has to have some limits. The Tigers farm system has quite frankly stunk for years and they are just finally starting to rebuild some depth and prospects that will contribute in the future. The Tigers roster as it stands now is old too in many positions. It's a tough balance to strike especially in DD's current position, but I'm really hoping he doesn't get desperate again and end up trading Turner.

Schlereth is back, Ruffin to Toledo. Awesome! Now we have two lefties together in the pen that can't throw a damn strike. Looks like Schlereth is ready to regain his Tiger of the Year award, Travis.

Bless You Boys said it best. You can never have too many unconditioned lefties in the pen.

I can't believe that Ruffin gets the demotion here. Granted, he's probably not quite ready for the show yet - but Purcey is the biggest problem in that bullpen. That's two games now that he's absolutely given away with his lack of command. One of which the Tigers were actually winning (Oakland) and the other saw the Tigers closing in. Unless they get their arms sorted out, we don't have to worry about this team making the playoffs.

I do agree however that Turner is much too high an asking price for Jimenez. We have our core (Cabrera, Verlander, Avila, Martinez, Jackson, Boesch, Peralta) for a number of years - so I'd hate to lose as highly touted a prospect as Turner - though Porcello and some other minor leaguer I think I could live with. Ultimately, I'd like to keep Porcello, though. We aren't really in the position to take anything away from the staff, we're only in the position to add to it.

Bless You Boys said it best. You can never have too many unconditioned lefties in the pen.

I can't believe that Ruffin gets the demotion here. Granted, he's probably not quite ready for the show yet - but Purcey is the biggest problem in that bullpen. That's two games now that he's absolutely given away with his lack of command. One of which the Tigers were actually winning (Oakland) and the other saw the Tigers closing in. Unless they get their arms sorted out, we don't have to worry about this team making the playoffs.

I do agree however that Turner is much too high an asking price for Jimenez. We have our core (Cabrera, Verlander, Avila, Martinez, Jackson, Boesch, Peralta) for a number of years - so I'd hate to lose as highly touted a prospect as Turner - though Porcello and some other minor leaguer I think I could live with. Ultimately, I'd like to keep Porcello, though. We aren't really in the position to take anything away from the staff, we're only in the position to add to it.

Agree on everything. Just speculation, but maybe Ruffin coming up was to showcase him for a possible trade? Even still, it makes no sense to recall Schlereth without Purcey being the one sent down. I would rather have Perry, Oliveros or Wilk before Schlereth anyways. Why do we need four lefties when two can't throw a strike, the other (Coke) can only get lefties out in a situational role and Furbush is there in long relief?

I would trade Porcello over Turner too. Turner is going to be a better pitcher long-term and though not his fault, Porcello isn't an ideal pitcher for a team that plays defense like the Tigers do. If it's Porcello and another high prospect, then maybe I'm more open to Jimenez. However, like you stated, then the Tigers are still down a pitcher and would need to make another trade for a 5th starter.

Edited by GoWings1905

per Freep.com:

Because he's out of options, struggling left-handed reliever David Purcey can't be sent to the minors without clearing waivers. So if the Tigers wanted to send him to Toledo to work on his control, they would have to give every other team in the majors a chance to claim him on waivers.

Considering that Purcey is left-handed and doesn't make a lot of money, it's a reasonable guess that someone would take a chance on him. And then the Tigers would have nothing to show for trading infielder Scott Sizemore, who has fit in well in the Oakland lineup.

per Freep.com:

Because he's out of options, struggling left-handed reliever David Purcey can't be sent to the minors without clearing waivers. So if the Tigers wanted to send him to Toledo to work on his control, they would have to give every other team in the majors a chance to claim him on waivers.

Considering that Purcey is left-handed and doesn't make a lot of money, it's a reasonable guess that someone would take a chance on him. And then the Tigers would have nothing to show for trading infielder Scott Sizemore, who has fit in well in the Oakland lineup.

In Purcey's last 4 appearances he has recorded 5 outs while giving up 6 ER and 7 BB - who is really gonna take a chance on that? The dude needs to get 'mono' so he can have a conditioning stint. He's literally useless in every other outing. Sizemore is doing really well in Oakland. I've got a cousin in Oakland who informs me, by way of text, every time Sizemore does anything of note. So I get texts once or twice a week. :lol:

In all actuality, though, it seems that Oakland was the perfect fit for our 'second baseman of the future'. I'm okay without him. Especially with Guillen back, though I'm hoping we make a move for a 2B that can occupy the 2 spot next year; but I digress.

I'd actually prefer to see Oliveros back. I thought he showed well in his outings as a Tiger. And if I had to choose between Schlereth or Perry, I'm definitely taking Perry even though they're about equally useless at this point.

A bullpen of Coke, Furbush, Al, Perry, Oliveros, Benoit and Valverde should conceivably be pretty damn solid. Too bad it'll never work out that way.

Just became official tonight... no Jimenez for Detroit. The Rockies wanted a package of Jacob Turner and either Max Scherzer or Rick Porcello. No thanks. Sounds like the hot names now being linked to Detroit are Eric Bedard and Jason Marquis. I could live with Marquis if the price is right.. I don't think he is worth a Turner, but we have a few mid-level prospects I could see going over for him. Verlander, Scherzer, Porcello, Marquis, Penny/Below. Hell... I would even be OK with bringing Andy Oliver back up and letting him take over the fifth spot in the rotation if necessary... couldn't do much worse than what we've been seeing from that spot already! Pitchers in the #5 spot of the rotation for the Tigers this year are 4-16...

ESPN's Jerry Crasnick is reporting that the Tigers and Mariners are close to a deal that would send Doug Fister to Detroit. Additional, CBS Sports writer Danny Knobler said this:

Furbush is expected to go to Seattle in deal for Fister (with others). Tigers trying to get reliever (not League), too

Turner starting for Tigers today, but it's a one-shot deal. Tigers very hopeful of getting Fister later today.

I like Furbush and could see him providing quality pitching in the future, but it is what it is.

Also, like the quote says - Jacob Turner has been called up to make his debut with the big club today.

It is Furbush, Wells, and Francisco Martines (3b prospect) and possibly a player to be named later. In return we get LHP Fister and RHP Pauley. Fister's record is deceiving, he is 3-12 but has gotten nothing for run support this year from the M's. His ERA is 3.33 and is 3-12? Should be a solid #3 or #4 for us. Move Penny down to #5.

I LOVE this move! Fister has really good numbers outside of his deceiving record... Its hard to win game when you give up 2 or less runs in 6 innings, and your team gets shut out on a regular basis. It's officially Doug Fister and David Pauley for Charlie Furbush, Casper Wells, Fransisco Martinez, and a player to be named later.

Martinez was the biggest piece to this deal and he's expendable because of the play of Nick Castellanos at Single-A West Michigan.

The Indians however, are countering. MLB Trade Rumors and the Denver Post reports that Ubaldo Jimenez will likely be traded to the Indians. We'll see what shakes loose, but everyone knows the Rockies are asking the farm from any team interested. This seems like a bad move for Cleveland long term since they will decimate their top-tier prospect core to get Jimenez.

Really looking forward to Verlander vs Weaver today. Should be a great battle for the Cy-Young.

JV coming out on top in this one. What's crazy is that this is nothing new for Verlander. This is regularity for JV this year.

I didn't watch or listen to it, but saw that Weaver pitched a fit for Magglio making sure his homer was gonna get out. Good for Carlos for putting him over the edge. :yowza::cool:

Game lived up to the hype, and Weaver threw a hissy fit when Maggs and Guillen smoked him. Right after the Guillen homer, the home plate ump warned both benches because of the chatter between Weaver and the Det bench. Next pitch for Weaver was right at Avila's head, and he was subsequently tossed from the game, once again throwing a hissy fit.

"Nobody in the ballpark know if it's going to stay fair or foul," Guillen said. "(Weaver) was yelling, 'Run! Run!' "

Guillen said Weaver shouldn't have said that to a veteran player like Ordoñez, who hit his fourth home run of the season and 293rd of his career.

Guillen gave Weaver a real reason to feel disrespected after putting the Tigers ahead, 3-0, with the homer. He flipped his bat and skipped a few steps, which infuriated Weaver more.

"I never do that before like that, but I don't like the way he react to Magglio," Guillen said. "He's my teammate. We're a team, you know?"

Per The Freep.