• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HankthaTank

2011 MLB Season Thread

Rate this topic

You expect that, but I think Leyland has other plans in mind...

Sigh, I know. :( I love Maggs as much as the next guy. I even have a Magglio jersey hanging in my closet, but he's simply not a number 3 hitter at this point in his career. When he's so slow that opposing pitchers think he's showing off - he's clearly no longer fit to be in a table-setter type role.

In other news, Carlos Guillen - everyone's favorite 2B made of glass - is back on the DL. A friend and I were just talking about Will Rhymes last night and how we'd like to see him back with the big club, so that's nice. Hopefully he can continue to hit well like he has been in AAA.

why, why, why, why is Raburn playing 3B? We have Betimit and Kelley who can play there. Raburn boots every friggin ball. Why did we pick up Betimit if we only play him every 3 games? Ugh Leyland is pissing me off.

why, why, why, why is Raburn playing 3B? We have Betimit and Kelley who can play there. Raburn boots every friggin ball. Why did we pick up Betimit if we only play him every 3 games? Ugh Leyland is pissing me off.

I've been wondering the same thing myself. I know Leyland loves Raburn or whatever, but what's the point of getting any third baseman if we're using players we already had?

Leyland is obsessed with the righty/lefty scenarios so it seems Betemit never starts against a lefty, even up against a guy that had went 28 straight decisions without winning a few months back. Fister wasn't sharp at all today, but he's clearly suffering from a much poorer defense with the Tigers than he did with the Mariners. That's why I was hoping Worth would get called up instead of Rhymes to replace Guillen.

Leyland also really needs to get Maggs out of the three hole immediately. We are wasting one of the best hitters in the league because Jackson strikes out 250 times, Boesch is out of position batting 2nd and Maggs is grounding into double plays and once in a while singling to right. Awesome table-setters for Cabrera. That six-year-old girl who gave advice to Leyland is RIGHT. Move Peralta up or at least slide Boesch back down to third.

you beat me to it. I love this move. he is only 25 and hopefully his struggles this year were just from playing on the crappy twinkies team this year. Maybe a jump to the front will kick him in gear.

Change of scenery could do him well. He's having his worst year in the bigs, but he's also been on a terrible team all year. He provides a lot more speed on the OF than we have with Maggs in right, so I like this move. Question is - what happens with the roster to make room for him? Does Maggs go on the DL? Get DFA'ed? Does Dirks get sent back to Toledo?

It's really nice to see the Tigers being proactive. I wonder if he plays tonight. Classy move by the Twins to fly him to Detroit and show him to the home locker room. Yeash.

all the rules as far as roster moves confuse me for the mlb, NHL, and NFL. the only one I have down 100 percent is the NHL. someone just tell me what the rules are for this guy being traded after the deadline. everywhere i look is just giving me a bunch of ifs, ands, or buts.

My understanding is that Young would be eligible because it happened before September 1st.

The only thing I recall is 2006 when the Tigers picked up Matt Stairs. He was ineligible for the playoffs, but I believe he didn't come to the team until September.

if he can play cuz it was before sep, why isnt the trade deadline the first day of sep. sorry my baseball following has only been going on for the last three years, slowly inclining since then, now 2 the point where im watching 90% of the games, yet still admittedly ignorant about some stuff.

Edited by wings1110

My understanding is that Young would be eligible because it happened before September 1st.

The only thing I recall is 2006 when the Tigers picked up Matt Stairs. He was ineligible for the playoffs, but I believe he didn't come to the team until September.

Ok, that was what I was basing my question on. And was that really 5 years ago?

The non-waiver deadline is July 31, when you can trade a player for a player and whatever without going any further than that. Kinda like the NHL deadline. The trade-waiver rules mean that you must place a player on waivers before a trade. Then from bottom to top, teams in the same league i.e. AL or NL have a shot to claim him, followed by the other league, again bottom to top. If he is claimed, the waiving team can pull him off, let him go for nothing, or negotiate a trade with the claimer team. If he then clears waivers from all teams, he can be traded to anyone. In this case, he needed to only drop to the tigers, who then could negotiate a trade with the twins.After August 31, players who are traded are not eligible to participate in the post-season, like the Stairs trade in '06. hope that helps.

Edited by rwfan007

So I like this move, because A) he's a Tiger killer and B) it gives us speed on the base paths and a solid OF bat. My issue now is, why is Will Rhymes the one sent back down? How is Leyland just ignoring Raburn's performance? And to top it off, Raburn is going to bat 2nd tonight?! Give me a break!

I sincerely hope that when Boesch comes back the OF is made up of him, Young and Jackson and that they make up the top 3rd of our order.

if he can play cuz it was before sep, why isnt the trade deadline the first day of sep. sorry my baseball following has only been going on for the last three years, slowly inclining since then, now 2 the point where im watching 90% of the games, yet still admittedly ignorant about some stuff.

You are correct - the trade deadline is July 31st. Teams can still make trades following that point with players placed on waivers or that have cleared waivers. Young was placed on waivers and cleared obviously allowing the Twins to make a deal with any team of their choice.

There's a lot of baseball people (Leyland included) that don't like the expanded rosters in September. Again, from my understanding, you have to be on the 25-man roster by September 1st to be eligible for the playoffs. That's why I believe there is quite a bit of speculation Inge will come back shortly before that date.

Young is batting third and playing left tonight. Boesch still isn't back so Maggs is in right hitting seventh. Rhymes was optioned to Toledo so say hello to Ryan Raburn part II at second base. I'm fine with Raburn playing because he has been hitting well since the ASG, but he needs to be in the outfield.

You are correct - the trade deadline is July 31st. Teams can still make trades following that point with players placed on waivers or that have cleared waivers. Young was placed on waivers and cleared obviously allowing the Twins to make a deal with any team of their choice.

There's a lot of baseball people (Leyland included) that don't like the expanded rosters in September. Again, from my understanding, you have to be on the 25-man roster by September 1st to be eligible for the playoffs. That's why I believe there is quite a bit of speculation Inge will come back shortly before that date.

Young is batting third and playing left tonight. Boesch still isn't back so Maggs is in right hitting seventh. Rhymes was optioned to Toledo so say hello to Ryan Raburn part II at second base. I'm fine with Raburn playing because he has been hitting well since the ASG, but he needs to be in the outfield.

Young and Boesch are both better defensively than Raburn and both have better bats - so I'd rather see Raburn's useless ass ride the pine. That said, I loathe Ryan Raburn at this point.

I was really hoping that Rhymes would stay with the big club, he's got some speed and has been hitting the ball well in AAA. He could have provided quickness at either the top (2nd) or bottom (8th) of the line-up. He's also not a total liability like Raburn. Case in point, he just errored on a ground ball. f*** Ryan Raburn.

At least Delmon Young homered in his first at bat! Welcome to Detroit.

Wow... the Tigers defense is easily the worst in MLB.

Raburn is hitting .321 since the ASG so I get wanting his bat in the lineup, but he absolutely can not play second base. That was a simple, routine ground ball that little leaguers turn for an out. Porcello is pitching for the worst team possible - he gets a ton of ground balls for a team that can't field them.

I like Delmon Young already. Power from the 3-hole! What a revelation.

I say you play Santiago at 2nd the remainder of the season, trade Raburn for a pack of sunflower seeds, and make Magglio bat-boy. That way we have this:

CF Jackson

RF Boesch

LF Young

1B Cabrera

DH Martinez

SS Peralta

C Avila

2B Santiago

3B Betimit

I will take that into the playoffs at this point.

I will never understand Jim Leyland. Down a run and he goes to Daniel fricking Schlereth? I'm all for bringing in a lefty against a team with a bunch of them, but how about we use a lefty (Coke or even Below) that can throw strikes and actually get those lefties out? Seems like the Tigers rotate left-handers in and out of that bullpen and all of them have control issues and don't serve their purpose whatsoever. They sent Purcey away to bring his clone back up.

Congrats though to Jim Thome for #600. I dislike him because he has always killed the Tigers, but I have a ton of respect for his character and getting to that number without disgracing baseball like others of his era.

Once again, my hope lies in the man starting tomorrow.

I say you play Santiago at 2nd the remainder of the season, trade Raburn for a pack of sunflower seeds, and make Magglio bat-boy. That way we have this:

CF Jackson

RF Boesch

LF Young

1B Cabrera

DH Martinez

SS Peralta

C Avila

2B Santiago

3B Betimit

I will take that into the playoffs at this point.

I really like that line-up, actually. Even though Betemit is really frustrating me at this point. Santiago is MUCH better in the field than Raburn, even though K-burn's bat is starting to come around (comparatively).

I will never understand Jim Leyland. Down a run and he goes to Daniel fricking Schlereth? I'm all for bringing in a lefty against a team with a bunch of them, but how about we use a lefty (Coke or even Below) that can throw strikes and actually get those lefties out? Seems like the Tigers rotate left-handers in and out of that bullpen and all of them have control issues and don't serve their purpose whatsoever. They sent Purcey away to bring his clone back up.

Congrats though to Jim Thome for #600. I dislike him because he has always killed the Tigers, but I have a ton of respect for his character and getting to that number without disgracing baseball like others of his era.

I ******* hate Schlereth, but he had thrown 8 shut out innings until tonight. Regardless, he and Perry can go anywhere else at this point.

Thome is a great ballplayer and it's nice that the Tigers fans in attendance gave him the ovation he deserved.

Seems to be the case every time he starts.....

I cannot watch live - only listen - since I'm out of market - but when the play by play guys start doggin you it's time to go....Rayburn needs to join Inge - painful to hear the plays - watching must really be brutal....