• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HankthaTank

2011 MLB Season Thread

Rate this topic

Statement series there. The Tigers are here to play. Cleveland is going through a 45 games in 44 days (you read that correctly), so they are not going to get a breather until the end of the season. That could be a fantastic thing for us, getting regular days off and a fresh breath of air once in a while. Cleveland is going to get more and more tired. This was huge this weekend. got Cy Verlander going tomorrow, lets rack up some wins here.

like sand through the hourglass, so are the chances of the Indians and Sox. Stretching the lead to 5.5 over both teams in the Central. Indians are fading fast and I think the Sox are the team to worry about in September.

From the horse's mouth: "Overall, this is the kind of game when if you're going to the playoffs, you win, and when you're not, you don't," Tampa Bay manager Joe Maddon said. I like what the Tigers have been doing. Our Pitchers have been pitching great, with the exception of Porcello. Since August 16, We are 6-1 and in our 6 wins, we have given up a total of 13 runs. 19 in our last 7 games overall, which is less than 3 per game, all the while scoring 41. That is a 6-1 record outscoring the opponent 41-19. Looks like we are ramping it up at the right time, and against quality opponents in Cleveland and Tampa.

I'm taking back my one nice post about Brandon Inge because I hate him more than ever now. Seriously, a guy is on a big league roster hitting .180. He is back on the team only because apparently people think it's 2006 still and he can still play defense even though all indications this season show even that is questionable at best. The ONLY role he serves on the team and he cost the Tigers TWICE tonight in the same inning and lost them the game. The homer was a fluke and now he can't even play defense worth a damn.

Unacceptable and absolutely pathetic. I can't even believe how routine that third out SHOULD have been. You go to first every single time on that play. It wouldn't have mattered if he hadn't botched a double play ball before that. Go back to Toledo where you belong and stay there. I will take Betemit's "s***ty" defense and .300 batting average every day of the week.

Can't wait to hear how nice of a guy he is while I puke more from this loss.

Chill, the DP ball was absolutely tattooed and he was lucky to get anything out of it. I do agree kinda with the last one, but Santiago was not getting to the bag fast enough, although any other base would have gotten an out. Had Betimit been in there, the game would have been over a lot sooner.

Anyways, we got one game tomorrow and already have enough for a split going into Minnesota, so it hasn't been a bad trip so far. Look at the positive, we have a 6 game lead.

Chill, the DP ball was absolutely tattooed and he was lucky to get anything out of it. I do agree kinda with the last one, but Santiago was not getting to the bag fast enough, although any other base would have gotten an out. Had Betimit been in there, the game would have been over a lot sooner.

Anyways, we got one game tomorrow and already have enough for a split going into Minnesota, so it hasn't been a bad trip so far. Look at the positive, we have a 6 game lead.

Yeah, I agree with this overall.

That said, I listen on the radio so I didn't actually see it. Last play sounded like a tough play regardless.

Sometimes these losses just sort of happen. Ultimately, they're playing well and I'd rather take a random loss like this than an absolute beatdown or a shut out. Plus, let's be honest - Scherzer didn't have his best stuff, or even his okay stuff last night and the game could have (and probably should have) been a lot worse. Of course, a loss sucks - but I'm happy to like at the bright side, too.

Hopefully Leyland is seeing how well we are playing keeping Raburn the heck out of the infield. Santiago should start the rest of the way since they aren't going to make a deal for a 2B anymore this year. I think that they should take Guillen out back behind the barn once he comes back, because right now there is no spot for him and his knees. Who are they going to send down to get that guy playing time? They sure aren't going to sit Martinez to get Guillen AB's at DH, and he has no place playing defense anymore. He should just be put on the long term IR and cut loose after this year.

Good stuff taking 3 of 4 at the Rays, and with Cleveland and ChiSox both idle, we now have a 6.5 game lead over the Central. Heading off to minnesota to take on the slumping twins should be just what Porcello needs to get back on track.

A grand (X 3) day.

Unreal. Absolutely unreal. The A's staff should call Daniel Schlereth to see who he went with for their grief counseling.

Another strong win for the Tigers yesterday. I would have been happy with a split, a series win (and near sweep) is great.

Now we head to Minnesota where we don't have to face two of their most productive bats - since they're on different teams now. (Thome to the Tribe, Kubel to the Sox)

mike_flanagan_found_dead_orioles_broadcaster_former_pitcher.jpg

"I could never play in New York. The first time

I ever came into a game there, I got into the

bullpen car and they told me to lock the doors".

Real tragic end. Especially reading that he talked to his wife a few hours beforehand and told her he'd talk to her later. Heart-wrenching.

The Tigers are rolling right now. Bullpen has been lights out, offense has been steady like always and the rotation is improving of late. Not great, but better outings from both Penny and Porcello the past start each respectively. Fister has been nothing short of terrific since coming to the team. I think he's easily the number three starter in hopefully a playoff rotation. Young has been a really strong move as well. Driving in runs and getting big hits in front of Cabrera in the 3-hole. DD deserves some major credit for those additions without losing guys like Turner, Oliver and Castellanos. The Indians gave up their two best pitching prospects and Fister has definitely outperformed Jimenez so far.

I don't want Guillen back either. The Tigers are fine with some combination of Santiago/Raburn/Worth/Rhymes at second the rest of the way. Schedule shapes up quite well down the stretch... the Indians back at .500 exactly are the only team remaining at that mark. Big lead right now, but I don't want it to come down to the final week like 2006 and 2009. We need to be able to set the rotation so JV starts Game 1 no matter what.

To take a page from cusimano_brothers:

9938354-large.jpg

Verlander earns number 20. The first Tigers pitcher to do so in 20 years. He is something special. Even without his best stuff (far from it) he keeps the Twins' bats quiet enough for this offense. Nice that it was Delmon Young who gave the Tigers the lead for good, he's been an incredible pick up to this point.

Tigers move to 14 games over .500 and 7 ahead of Cleveland in the Central. Here's hoping the Royals can put some good swings on Carmona tonight; but either way - this Tigers team is a lot of fun right now.

I love the consistency lately. Earlier in the year, you weren't sure what Tigers team was going to show up game-to-game. Right now, they are playing a lot of close games and you EXPECT them to come through and win. The bullpen has really rounded out nicely and will be even more deep when Al Al comes back. Only thing I really want in the last month is one or both of Porcello and Penny to step up and become a solid number 4 starter.

JV is the MVP. He means more to the Tigers than any other player in consideration. Are the Tigers even a .500 team without Verlander? The Yanks and Red Sox would still be in contention without Granderson, Ellsbury, Gonzalez although obviously those guys are all having incredible years as well. I can't include Bautista because the Jays are just an average team and voters definitely consider that or else Cabrera wins it last season over Hamilton.

I love the consistency lately. Earlier in the year, you weren't sure what Tigers team was going to show up game-to-game. Right now, they are playing a lot of close games and you EXPECT them to come through and win. The bullpen has really rounded out nicely and will be even more deep when Al Al comes back. Only thing I really want in the last month is one or both of Porcello and Penny to step up and become a solid number 4 starter.

JV is the MVP. He means more to the Tigers than any other player in consideration. Are the Tigers even a .500 team without Verlander? The Yanks and Red Sox would still be in contention without Granderson, Ellsbury, Gonzalez although obviously those guys are all having incredible years as well. I can't include Bautista because the Jays are just an average team and voters definitely consider that or else Cabrera wins it last season over Hamilton.

The issue, though, that people keep bringing up is that a pitcher is only involved in roughly 35 games as opposed to an every day player.

That said, I think Cabrera should have won it last year and am totally on board with the Verlander argument this year. Unfortunately, it probably won't happen.

ESPN just put an article up that says that JV is on pace to pitch 18% of the team's innings, while Cabrera would get only 12% of the ABs. So thinking that way, who is contributing more to the team?

Here's the quote:

"Looking at Verlander’s 216 innings shows that he has pitched 18.6 percent of the Tigers' total innings (1161) while the team’s best offensive player and marginal MVP candidate, Miguel Cabrera, has logged 577 plate appearances, or 11.5 percent of their 5,001 total plate appearances. So who is really making a bigger contribution?"

ESPN just put an article up that says that JV is on pace to pitch 18% of the team's innings, while Cabrera would get only 12% of the ABs. So thinking that way, who is contributing more to the team?

Here's the quote:

"Looking at Verlander’s 216 innings shows that he has pitched 18.6 percent of the Tigers' total innings (1161) while the team’s best offensive player and marginal MVP candidate, Miguel Cabrera, has logged 577 plate appearances, or 11.5 percent of their 5,001 total plate appearances. So who is really making a bigger contribution?"

Bless You Boys was making a similar argument, which I think is really interesting. I do agree that Verlander has been easily the Most Valuable Player we have. He's a skid stopper, a streak starter, and an anchor for the whole team. Unfortunately, it's not up to us. :(

Twenty wins is impressive. Twenty wins before Labour Day is more impressive. Twenty wins before the end of August, to me, is the most impressive thing. Detroit should shut him down, now that they have the Central Division all wrapped up (must be true, I read it right here!). Can't wait for 2015 to roll around.

Edited by cusimano_brothers

The past two games are why I can't really have high hopes should the Tigers make the playoffs. 20 runs allowed to two horrible teams. Yeah, maybe in a short series JV wins twice and someone else steals a game but beyond that, where are the quality starts going to come from in a longer series? Max is usually either lights or gets absolutely rocked, Fister has actually been quite solid and both Penny and Porcello have ERA's exceeding five.

Which in the larger picture is another puzzling component for me regarding the Tigers. Everyone in the front office boasts about how the rotation (besides Penny) is under club control for the near future. Am I missing something or is that not as much of a positive as we are made to believe? It COULD be a good thing, but I personally don't ever see Porcello as reaching his massive potential. At least not with the Tigers throwing the defense they do on most nights out there. Turner looks to be can't-miss, but there's going to be an adjustment period for him just like JV.