• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HankthaTank

2011 MLB Season Thread

Rate this topic

ESPN just put an article up that says that JV is on pace to pitch 18% of the team's innings, while Cabrera would get only 12% of the ABs. So thinking that way, who is contributing more to the team?

Here's the quote:

"Looking at Verlander’s 216 innings shows that he has pitched 18.6 percent of the Tigers' total innings (1161) while the team’s best offensive player and marginal MVP candidate, Miguel Cabrera, has logged 577 plate appearances, or 11.5 percent of their 5,001 total plate appearances. So who is really making a bigger contribution?"

That's a good point. Another one to add is how much rest and flexibility Verlander impacts on the bullpen for the following games because of how many innings he pitches.

I was listening to the game on the radio at work yesterday and I totally agree with what was said on the pregame show. The Royals are not a 24 game under .500 team. They can hit the ball plain and simple. The only thing they don't have is pitching. They can out-slug people for wins, their defense, especially the outfield are studs. This is not a team you can take lightly, as was seen last night.

Keep in your mind, however, that Porcello is only 22 years old and is still learning how to pitch in the big leagues. He is still very Raw and has not learned the art of pitching. His fastball has taken him up through the ranks quickly, but up here, these guys are professional hitters, and you need to pitch, not just throw hard. He will be good, he just needs some schooling.

Two scrappy victories in a row. I like the swagger we got goin here. We know we can score runs, and we know we are never out of it. Just play 9 innings and we have a chance to win.

Santiago with the walk-off homer! Stay away for good please, Carlos.

Another terrific start for Fister too. Definitely the second best pitcher in the rotation right now.

He certainly is. I would feel pretty good about a 5 game series that starts with Verlander and Fister right now. I wish Scherzer could find his 2010 form, because that would be a scary 3-man rotation in the playoffs. That is, of course, assuming the Tigers make the playoffs.

Twins win in Chicago, dropping the White Sox to 6 GB. I never thought I'd say this but, go Twins.

I got home in the 8th right as V-Mart drilled the double to tie it. Obviously Cabrera is the best hitter on the team, but man is Victor Martinez some kind of clutch. Big hit for Betemit too -- he has been a really solid addition.

Stoked to watch Turner pitch tomorrow. I don't expect him to pitch much more than this start because of innings, but it is nice to see him inching closer to becoming a part of the rotation.

Not so great series against the Royals, but they at least salvaged a sweep with a couple nice comeback wins.

Big series this weekend against the White Sox. Actually, the next two series for the Tigers could really help them seal the deal in the Central.

Yeah, sucks to not win that series - but a split is better than any other alternative. Plus, these teams with talent and nothing to play for in the standings will be working hard to play spoiler.

Huge series starting this weekend with the White Sox taking over second in the Central, here's hoping the Tigers are up to the task.

Just got back from the game... 21 wins for JV and now the Tigers magic number as well!

Comerica was packed too; awesome atmosphere at the park tonight. Magglio got a standing ovation from the fans behind the Tigers dugout after he ran that ball down in the outfield. I thought that was pretty cool. Maggs has meant a lot to this team and he has accepted his new role with a lot of class.

Now I hope Penny and/or Scherzer can come up with a solid start and bury the White Sox.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=18781581&source=MLB&c_id=det&tcid=facebook_embedded_player&gid=2011_09_03_chamlb_detmlb_1

I'm starting to wonder if the 2011 Tigers are a team of Destiny? They seem to be getting stronger as the season goes on, and are pulling wins out of the bag at will. Another big comeback tonight.

I know we'll face the Division winner in the East in the 1st round, but we've been playing well against the Yankees and Red Sox all year. Plus if the series goes 5, Our Savior (no disrespect to those of us who believe in Jesus) Justin Verlander will be pitching twice.

I have my Tigers car flag, t-shirts, long sleeved shirt, and jacket ready for the post season. Do you?

Screenshot2011-09-04at91549AM.png

I'm still in awe of this victory. The Tigers are finally playing well when it counts.

I feel like this is the team I think a lot of us had expected or hoped to see when the season started.

I'm still in awe of this victory. The Tigers are finally playing well when it counts.

I feel like this is the team I think a lot of us had expected or hoped to see when the season started.

Definitely agree. It seems like the Tigers are really gaining steam from the national media now too as a serious contender to win the AL.

This game tonight is absolutely unreal. 16 runs and 22 hits in the 6th inning! About to sweep the White Sox and essentially end their chances to win the division. Plus, the Tigers x-factor to playoff success hasn't given up a run on the mound either.

This team is becoming very special and looks more dangerous as the season progresses.

solid solid solid win. Pitching was great, offense obviously was clicking, and we got the sweep and a 8.5 game lead on the Sox and a 6.5 game lead in the division going into the next series with Cleveland. We touched up Jimenez last time, and Fister has been rolling, so I expect 2 of 3 with Fister and Verlander going in this series to come out with a 7.5 game lead in the Central. That sets us up really really good going into the last 3 weeks of the season.

MLB.com: Tigers biggest trade deadline winners so far: http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110905&content_id=24250016&vkey=perspectives&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Big, big win for good guys today. Bouncing back from a long, albeit great, game and a late-night arrival. Fister was huge today and the Tigers capitalized on the few chances they had against Jimenez. Great to see this team winning in all situations.

Also, they're only .5 GB from Texas for the 2nd-best record among division leaders and home field advantage.