• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HankthaTank

2011 MLB Season Thread

Rate this topic

Two huge sweeps for the good guys. Great comeback win today and another victory for Verlander despite him not having his best stuff.

I listen to Dan and Jim on the radio, but watched a couple of highlights and they look like they're playing with a lot of fun and a ton of swagger. They know they're the best team in this division and they are playing like it.

19 games over .500 at this point - tied with the Rangers for home field advantage. Texas has yet to play, though.

Verlander had good stuff. He only allowed 3 hits while striking out nine. Its just that Duncan smacked him out twice with a man on. Other than that, JV was pretty good.

Anyways, two very very key sweeps put both Cleveland and the ChiSox out of the race. We just need to do our job, and they won't be able to catch up. If I am doing my math right, the magic number is like 14 or 15 now.

Verlander had good stuff. He only allowed 3 hits while striking out nine. Its just that Duncan smacked him out twice with a man on. Other than that, JV was pretty good.

Anyways, two very very key sweeps put both Cleveland and the ChiSox out of the race. We just need to do our job, and they won't be able to catch up. If I am doing my math right, the magic number is like 14 or 15 now.

Magic number is 13. If the Rangers lose tonight, the Tigers alone will have the 2nd best record of division leaders.

What a team. Putting it all together when it matters the most.

Not to really play pick your poison and there's still plenty of baseball left for either scenario, but I think the Tigers are much better suited to get the Yankees in the ALDS. Verlander twice hopefully washes out Sabathia and Fister is better than anything they are throwing out. Boston really scares me and the Tigers never seem to win a damn game at Fenway. Or do you take your chances with JV twice in a short series regardless and knock out what appears to be a stronger team before a longer series?

All I know is this is the most fun I have had watching baseball since 2006.

I would rather face a more dangerous offense in a short series, that way JV can go 2 of the 5 games. Boston is going to be tougher I believe. They have pitching, and they can slug. the Yankees can outslug someone, but the pitching is like 1, 5,5,5,5. I think that Scherzer and Fister can hold a potent offense at bay enough for us to tackle the other staff. Kind of like the '06 playoffs when we got a couple key hits against the Yankees and put them away before they could get their act together and then we whooped on the A's. At this point, I am just freeking excited to be getting the division crown finally and getting into the playoffs all together.

I would rather face a more dangerous offense in a short series, that way JV can go 2 of the 5 games. Boston is going to be tougher I believe. They have pitching, and they can slug. the Yankees can outslug someone, but the pitching is like 1, 5,5,5,5. I think that Scherzer and Fister can hold a potent offense at bay enough for us to tackle the other staff. Kind of like the '06 playoffs when we got a couple key hits against the Yankees and put them away before they could get their act together and then we whooped on the A's. At this point, I am just freeking excited to be getting the division crown finally and getting into the playoffs all together.

Beckett limped off the mound the other day. Have to see how bad it is but not good for Bosox.

If we can get home field, where homeruns go to die, and JV getting 2 starts in a short series I don't care who we play.

Just read an interesting piece of information - There have only been 4 occasions where the Manager of the Year Award has only gone to someone whose team finished outside of the top 2 in their division. That'd mean an uphill battle for Maddon and Acta.

Maybe that chain-smoking mad man has a chance. :)

Great article from the Freep about how great of a guy VMart is, too: http://www.freep.com/article/20110909/SPORTS02/109090431/John-Lowe-Tigers-Martinez-leads-field-clubhouse?odyssey=nav|head

Just read an interesting piece of information - There have only been 4 occasions where the Manager of the Year Award has only gone to someone whose team finished outside of the top 2 in their division. That'd mean an uphill battle for Maddon and Acta.

Maybe that chain-smoking mad man has a chance. :)

Great article from the Freep about how great of a guy VMart is, too: http://www.freep.com/article/20110909/SPORTS02/109090431/John-Lowe-Tigers-Martinez-leads-field-clubhouse?odyssey=nav|head

I kinda felt that it would automatically go to Jim or Acta; whoever won the Central basically. Now Cleveland's falling into obscurity so I feel like Leyland has the best chance out of everyone in the AL now.

Magic number is down to 9! Any combo of us winning or the sox losing that adds up to 9 gets us the division! So if we win 9 games out of our remaining 17 games, we get the division. If the sox lose a game and we win a game, the number goes down by two. If both us and the sox win a game, the number goes down by one. You get the point.

oh yeah, the Yanks and BoSox are on 4 game losing streaks bringing the Tigers within 4.5 games of the AL lead. Could we get into that spot? Yankees and BoSox pitching have been terrible lately, and we are playing the best ball in the majors right now, why not?

Magic number down to 7 after win number 9 in a row! I would love to catch the Yankees and I think there is an outside chance considering the Tigers remaining schedule is very weak and the Tigers are on such a roll. I would be thrilled though just to stay ahead of the AL West contenders and get to open at home in the ALDS at least. I'm pretty biased, but after seeing Comerica in 2006 for the playoffs, I don't know there is a better atmosphere in baseball.

The division could very well be won by the end of this road trip. Exciting times to come.

Edited by GoWings1905

Magic number down to 7 after win number 9 in a row! I would love to catch the Yankees and I think there is an outside chance considering the Tigers remaining schedule is very weak and the Tigers are on such a roll. I would be thrilled though just to stay ahead of the AL West contenders and get to open at home in the ALDS at least. I'm pretty biased, but after seeing Comerica in 2006 for the playoffs, I don't know there is a better atmosphere in baseball.

The division could very well be won by the end of this road trip. Exciting times to come.

First 9 game win streak since may of '84. This team is on fire right now and at the perfect time. The playoffs can't start soon enough. With Verlander pitching twice in a 5 game series, the Tigers have a chance to beat anyone.

First 9 game win streak since may of '84. This team is on fire right now and at the perfect time. The playoffs can't start soon enough. With Verlander pitching twice in a 5 game series, the Tigers have a chance to beat anyone.

The Tigs are my pick to win the AL and play Philly in the World Series.

A guy who lives down the hall on my floor is a Tigers fan, every time we see each other we're talking Tigers and updating each other on the score. Sunday, the day after Inge's walk off HR, we saw each other in the parking lot and all I said was, "Hey, Brandon Inge".

The Tigs will be popping the champagne this week to celebrate the 2011 AL Central Division title, first one since 1987. The magic number is down to 5.