• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HankthaTank

2011 MLB Season Thread

Rate this topic

Agreed. The Yankees were up 7 runs; I would want Leyland to get the regulars out too with nothing to play for two days before games that really matter.

Scioscia didn't make an attempt. I fully understand shutting down Weaver and Santana, but go look at the Angels batting order the last two games. They mailed it in.

The Tigers just tweeted their ALDS roster –

Avila

Martinez

Santos

Betemit

Cabrera

Peralta

Santiago

Boesch

Dirks

Inge

Jackson

Kelly

Ordonez

Raburn

Young

Alburquerque

Benoit

Coke

Fister

Penny

Perry

Porcello

Scherzer

Schlereth

Thomas

Valverde

Verlander

Zumaya

Apparently the inclusion of DL players Boesch, Thomas, and Zumaya means that their spot can be filled by any other player at any time - allowing for more fluidity in the line-up.

edit: Inge is on the playoff roster, but was left out of the team's tweet.

Edited by Travis

The Tigers just tweeted their ALDS roster –

Apparently the inclusion of DL players Boesch, Thomas, and Zumaya means that their spot can be filled by any other player at any time - allowing for more fluidity in the line-up.

edit:

Inge is on the playoff roster, but was left out of the team's tweet.

Damn. I liked that mistake. For real though, Leyland better not have Inge and Raburn starting tonight. I'm fine with righty/lefty matchups to an extent, but Leyland takes it way too far. Betemit and Santiago are better players and you start your best players no matter what in the playoffs. I expect Maggs to start in right, which is fine considering Maggs has been very good the past month and we have no better options against CC anyways there.

Don't quite understand why Penny made the roster either over Below or Pauley. Does anyone trust Penny more than either of those two? We are probably in trouble if any of those three would pitch regardless, but I thought Pauley came around and he can chew up multiple innings. I'm going to wet myself still if Perry or Schlereth come in to a close game.

Hey OH! Let's Go Brewers!

Love Ryan Braun. Definitely want to see the Tigers/Brewers in the World Series.

Edited by GoWings1905

Damn. I liked that mistake. For real though, Leyland better not have Inge and Raburn starting tonight. I'm fine with righty/lefty matchups to an extent, but Leyland takes it way too far. Betemit and Santiago are better players and you start your best players no matter what in the playoffs. I expect Maggs to start in right, which is fine considering Maggs has been very good the past month and we have no better options against CC anyways there.

Don't quite understand why Penny made the roster either over Below or Pauley. Does anyone trust Penny more than either of those two? We are probably in trouble if any of those three would pitch regardless, but I thought Pauley came around and he can chew up multiple innings. I'm going to wet myself still if Perry or Schlereth come in to a close game.

Yeah, I don't get how Penny made the roster. I assume Zumaya and Thomas' spots will go to Below and Pauley, though.

Love Ryan Braun. Definitely want to see the Tigers/Brewers in the World Series.

Little sidenote about Braunie: he and Aaron Rodgers are really good friends. Mike McCarthy did a press conference last night and he said earlier that morning in the locker room, all the players were talking about was the Brewers. I'm sure A-Rod had something to do with that. :lol:

If you really believe Girardi threw the game, I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell you. If you actually watched the game last night (not that I'd expect any of you to give a s*** about the Yankees, obviously) you'd have noticed Girardi played all the regulars for the bulk of the game, and then when it was apparent it was a blow-out, began substituting them for the bench players. That's nothing no other manager wouldn't do in a blow out. He'd said that Rivera wasn't going to pitch, which meant that Soriano and Robertson weren't going to pitch either. So our three best relievers would see no action, no matter the score/inning.

Our bats were on the bench, our best relievers weren't playing, and the dregs had to hold a 7-run lead. They didn't. That happens. It's not throwing the game, it's not tanking the game, it's not phoning it in. It was not a necessary game for the Yankees, meaning you weren't going to see an injured Alex Rodriguez make a PH appearance at any time, nor were you going to see the above-mentioned relievers in the game either. It was up to the scrubs and the bottom of our pen to hold Tampa down, and they were unable to.

The fact that Girardi actually started all his regulars last night and even said before the game he was doing so because in essence, he didn't want people to think that the Yankees were intentionally losing games to keep the Red Sox out, should be evidence enough that there was no intentional tank job going on. If Girardi really wanted to phone it in, he'd have not started any regulars last night and had Nick Swisher and his 0.00 ERA pitch. THAT would have been throwing the game.

Agreed, Girardi managed it right. Boston has no one to blame but themselves for not holding on to that 9 game lead, just like the 2009 Tigers.

Inge should be on the roster, he's been to the World Series before, and probably would be a good guy to have around this time of year to help with team morale. I don't really want to see him hit, just put him in as a defensive replacement for Betemit.

I agree Santiago should be the starting 2B. There's enough hitting on the team that Raburn can be the utility guy.

Maggs and Dirks should share RF. Maggs can hit against a lefty and Dirks the righty.

Penny probably will just be the long man out of the bullpen in a blow out, or a back up for Porcello if he craps the bed.

Anyway, I'm pumped for the game tonight! I need to get groceries at Wal-Mart before the game, I'll be wearing my Verlander t-shirt!

I think the Yankees pitching staff, despite good stats, have been walking on eggshells all year and could implode! If I was a Yankees fans I would be a little nervous with Nova, A.J., Colon, and Garcia after C.C. It's almost like their patch work 2004 pitching staff of Mussina, Brown, Lieber, Vazquez, and Contreras. It's eerie the similarities, and we all know what happened to the Yankees in 2004.

Yankees Suck! Let's Go Tigers!

Little sidenote about Braunie: he and Aaron Rodgers are really good friends. Mike McCarthy did a press conference last night and he said earlier that morning in the locker room, all the players were talking about was the Brewers. I'm sure A-Rod had something to do with that. :lol:

That's pretty cool. Talk about a talented friendship -- Super Bowl MVP and possibly NL MVP.

Well, I didn't want it but I knew it was coming... Tigers lineup for Game 1 tonight:

Jackson CF, Maggs RF, Young LF, Cabrera 1B, V-Mart DH, Avila C, Raburn 2B, Peralta SS, Inge 3B.

I think the Yankees pitching staff, despite good stats, have been walking on eggshells all year and could implode! If I was a Yankees fans I would be a little nervous with Nova, A.J., Colon, and Garcia after C.C.

Why should I be nervous when AJ Burnett will be in the bullpen for the ALDS and Bartolo Colon isn't even on the playoff roster? I can't be nervous about something that isn't going to happen, referring to Colon or Burnett s***ting the bed. They aren't going to be given the opportunity.

Our pitching has been suspect all year. No sense pissing my pants over it now. We've won with worse pitching, we've lost with better pitching. I think your team has a better rotation to be sure, but that's why games are played on the field, not on paper.

Francona's option will not be picked up by the Sox next year. Missing the playoffs two years in a row and going 7-20 in September to blow a 9 game lead will not keep you with a team very long.

Why should I be nervous when AJ Burnett will be in the bullpen for the ALDS and Bartolo Colon isn't even on the playoff roster? I can't be nervous about something that isn't going to happen, referring to Colon or Burnett s***ting the bed. They aren't going to be given the opportunity.

Our pitching has been suspect all year. No sense pissing my pants over it now. We've won with worse pitching, we've lost with better pitching. I think your team has a better rotation to be sure, but that's why games are played on the field, not on paper.

Who's your 4th starter then? Hughes? Or is Girardi going with a 3 man rotation like he did in 2009.

Who's your 4th starter then? Hughes? Or is Girardi going with a 3 man rotation like he did in 2009.

3 man rotation, Hughes is in the pen with Gas Can Burnett since unlike AJ, he has experience coming out of the pen. Our rotation for the ALDS is CC, Nova, Garcia. CC is very good on short rest in the playoffs, so if we need him again in this series, he can pitch. For the ALCS/WS should we be fortunate enough to advance that far, I would suspect that AJ would be the 4th starter and Hughes would stay in the pen as a long-man/bridge guy. There's no way Girardi would stick with a 3-man rotation in a 7-game series, not if we'd be playing teams like Tampa or Philadelphia. I want no part of Philadelphia anyway. Lee and Halladay twice? f*** that. :lol:

Edited by Electrophile

Wow, what a letdown. I know the forecast wasn't supposed to produce that much rain according to the reports, but why even risk it since it turned into a monsoon? This is a tough break for the Tigers I think. Verlander is likely only going to pitch once now and Scherzer starting at Yankee Stadium has disaster written all over it.

Anyone else think the Tigers played very tight for that inning and a half? Cabrera makes that force out to second all of the time and Inge turned an easy out at home into a run for the Yankees. Hopefully tomorrow will produce a win with Fister going. It sucks the Tigers have to use a line-up with 7 righties in it against Nova now.

Didn't a game in 2006 also get rained out at Yankee Stadium? For some reason, I remember Verlander pitching Game 2 during the day which I doubt was the original schedule.

Wow, what a letdown. I know the forecast wasn't supposed to produce that much rain according to the reports, but why even risk it since it turned into a monsoon? This is a tough break for the Tigers I think. Verlander is likely only going to pitch once now and Scherzer starting at Yankee Stadium has disaster written all over it.

Anyone else think the Tigers played very tight for that inning and a half? Cabrera makes that force out to second all of the time and Inge turned an easy out at home into a run for the Yankees. Hopefully tomorrow will produce a win with Fister going. It sucks the Tigers have to use a line-up with 7 righties in it against Nova now.

Didn't a game in 2006 also get rained out at Yankee Stadium? For some reason, I remember Verlander pitching Game 2 during the day which I doubt was the original schedule.

Bondo pitched game 1. Don't forget - JV was a rookie and Bonderman was an all-star.

Fister in game 1 (again) and Scherzer in game 2. Verlander at home for game 3.

I've recently heard two interseting Boston stories:

1) Up until last week, they were still trying to land a starting pitcher; someone who could be used up to and including a playoff game, knowing they couldn't use him in the playoffs.

2) After beating Toronto 14-0 in September, Francona held closed-door meeting with the players to see if they were all "on the same page" and knew what had to be done to achieve any postseason goals. Next game started a five-game losing streak.

I suspect Epstein is safe. Then again...

Weather related:

MGR Girardi said it was the twenty-third game this season affected by rain in New York alone.

John "Micro Manager" Sterling, the current "voice" on radio, said that in his thirty years as a broadcaster he has never seen as much rain as this season in New York.

Edited by cusimano_brothers

3 man rotation, Hughes is in the pen with Gas Can Burnett since unlike AJ, he has experience coming out of the pen. Our rotation for the ALDS is CC, Nova, Garcia. CC is very good on short rest in the playoffs, so if we need him again in this series, he can pitch. For the ALCS/WS should we be fortunate enough to advance that far, I would suspect that AJ would be the 4th starter and Hughes would stay in the pen as a long-man/bridge guy. There's no way Girardi would stick with a 3-man rotation in a 7-game series, not if we'd be playing teams like Tampa or Philadelphia. I want no part of Philadelphia anyway. Lee and Halladay twice? f*** that. :lol:

The Yankees are actually my back up Baseball team. I'm a big Jeter and Posada fan. If I wasn't a Detroit fan, New York would be my sports town, well Yankees, Giants, Rangers, and Knicks. But when the Yankees play the Tigers, especially in the playoffs, the Yankees suck! :hehe:

Bondo pitched game 1. Don't forget - JV was a rookie and Bonderman was an all-star.

Fister in game 1 (again) and Scherzer in game 2. Verlander at home for game 3.

Yeah, I worded that poorly. I meant Verlander pitched Game 2 during the afternoon, which was caused by a rainout the night before. The Yankees are usually always on at night during the playoffs.

I thought Bonderman pitched the clincher in Game 4? Robertson got shelled in Game 1 IIRC.

Yeah, I worded that poorly. I meant Verlander pitched Game 2 during the afternoon, which was caused by a rainout the night before. The Yankees are usually always on at night during the playoffs.

I thought Bonderman pitched the clincher in Game 4? Robertson got shelled in Game 1 IIRC.

You're right. I don't know why I typed Bonderman. Probably because I'm an idiot. :D