• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HankthaTank

2011 MLB Season Thread

Rate this topic

I'd keep Inge out there until he stops hitting. Plus Porcello is a ground ball pitcher, I want Inge playing 3B over Betemit.

I put this as my Facebook status this morning, "Detroit is getting ready to party like it's..... 2006"

How about the unsung guys coming through last night? Santiago, Inge, Kelly, Jackson had some great AB's too. Gotta give some credit to Jim Leyland too -- he has made all the right moves in this series so far with the lineups, defensive replacements, bullpen usage and so on. I think it's pretty clear we just gotta roll with Ramon at second and Maggs in right. I still like the platoon at third even with Inge coming through last night. Betemit definitely still hits righties way better.

Verlander was just unreal except for about 5 batters. The 5th inning where he struck out the side on 10 pitches was about as sick of a display as a pitcher could ever throw. Valverde is going to cause me major health issues, but he got the job done like always.

Hopefully we get the good Rick Porcello tonight. One more boys!

That went well. :angry: Game was lost in the first inning when the Tigers let AJ fricking Burnett off the hook. Why bunt Santiago in that spot? Jackson can easily steal second off Burnett and Santiago had some huge hits just a night earlier. Score some runs there and it probably completely changes the outcome. He settled in and if the Tigers lose on Thursday, getting beat by Burnett will be the reason why they aren't in Texas this weekend.

Porcello is a sinker-ball pitcher and all of his mistakes were up. I didn't think Porcello was too bad, but the Yankees did make him pay. The bullpen is downright sorry -- Fister better go seven innings and get it to Benoit and Valverde because everyone else blows.

Hopefully this is one the Tigers can just forget about quickly, but you have to wonder what their mindset is getting destroyed at home and having to win a deciding game now at Yankee Stadium against a team with offensive momentum.

This is what I feared - needed Verlander to pitch twice in the series - even though he's been a little less JV-like he still gets the Ws - could have banked on two. Well now will have to see if Fister can get some revenge for his outing in NY the other day - sigh....

Agreed, but in theory it should have worked in the Tigers favor tonight. They got to face Burnett instead of Sabathia twice and they didn't take advantage. Losing JV is definitely not a positive at this point, but the Tigers had their chance to make that irrelevant. It also kind of shows the Tigers rotation is nowhere near as deep as it needs to/should be yet.

Edited by GoWings1905

The Yankees must hate playing away from their little league field.

Sometimes, no.

All New York wanted was another day to play; now, they have it.

Suzyn Waldman, the colour commentator on the WCBS games on radio, was quick to report the exodus in the eighth. It couldn't possibly have been the game; it must have been a natural chemical reaction between the clear, cool October night and 1,4-Dichlorobenzene.

wanna_get_away_cameraman_eats_turf_on_beltre_homer.jpg

No cameraman left behind.

Did the cameraman touch the top of Beltre's head before that?

Comforting fact of the day: The last time Doug Fister took the mound in a clinching game it was on the road and the Tigers won the AL Central.

Can't believe they lost to A.J. ******* Burnett.

Neither can I. I penciled AJ in for the loss when it was announced he'd be pitching Game 4. I figured either we'd need to sweep or win in 5, if we were going to win at all, since that was a guaranteed loss.

I don't know what Rothschild said to him between the 1st inning and the 2nd, but whatever it was put the fear of God in him. That, and Curtis Granderson saving his huevos not once, but twice.

Neither can I. I penciled AJ in for the loss when it was announced he'd be pitching Game 4. I figured either we'd need to sweep or win in 5, if we were going to win at all, since that was a guaranteed loss.

I don't know what Rothschild said to him between the 1st inning and the 2nd, but whatever it was put the fear of God in him. That, and Curtis Granderson saving his huevos not once, but twice.

In hindsight, that first inning was the deciding factor of the game. He was clearly mentally shook, Yanks already had their bullpen warming up, and bases were loaded... and the Tigers couldn't change the outlook of the game right then and there.

After that, like you said, something happened out of the dugout between them two, whether it's a change in his mechanics, his mentality, I don't know. All I know is Burnett was unhittable after that for most of the game.

Granderson was unbelievable too. Makes me miss him more and more.

We were going to have to pen warming in the 1st, regardless of what Burnett did. No one had any faith in him, and that sounds so utterly horrible, but it's true. He hasn't inspired a lot of confidence in his fans this season. The joke was that Hughes was going to start warming up following the first pitch, in the even the first pitch was a HR.

In hindsight, that first inning was the deciding factor of the game. He was clearly mentally shook, Yanks already had their bullpen warming up, and bases were loaded... and the Tigers couldn't change the outlook of the game right then and there.

After that, like you said, something happened out of the dugout between them two, whether it's a change in his mechanics, his mentality, I don't know. All I know is Burnett was unhittable after that for most of the game.

Granderson was unbelievable too. Makes me miss him more and more.

Curtis Granderson single-handedly beat the Tigers that night. If that ball gets passed him, Burnett comes out and the Yankees are going out of the 'pen all night. If he doesn't make that diving catch on Peralta the run scores, it's 4-2, and Jhonny is standing on 2nd. Not to mention his own 2-run double.

It was always really hard to root against Granderson, despite his new team. Now, though, he's a full-on Yankee and I no longer care for him.

No Verlander? I'll believe it when I see it.

I believe it. Having him throw 3 times in a week isn't a great idea, and you'd hate to make him throw tonight and risk wasting him for a potential game 1 in the CS.

I believe it. Having him throw 3 times in a week isn't a great idea, and you'd hate to make him throw tonight and risk wasting him for a potential game 1 in the CS.

Exactly. I will be stunned if JV pitches tonight. Fister was the best pitcher in baseball in September -- you gotta take your chances there and hope he can turn it over to Benoit and Valverde.

Also, Kelly will start at third tonight and Maggs back in right. I just want a lead early for the Tigers sake and my health.