• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HankthaTank

2011 MLB Season Thread

Rate this topic

Tim Welke is a joke. I don't even care if you don't expand the strike zone, but at least call actual strikes. Verlander wasn't that sharp, but the Cruz homer was a direct result of having to throw a bad pitch from falling behind after getting squeezed. I expect JV to start Game 4 now.

The Tigers had their chances early and let Wilson get away with minimal damage. The Tigers have to do more against the Rangers starters and get a lead because the Rangers aren't going to lose if they can shorten the game to six innings with that bullpen.

The Tigers offense has really scuffled so far in the playoffs. Against better pitching, it really hurts to have a team that moves base-to-base with absolutely no speed like the Tigers do. Too many guys that are prone to strikeouts and double plays that kill potential big innings. I'm really sick of Austin Jackson right now. He's gotta start making contact and getting on base.

Hopefully Max can come up big again in Game 2 to even the series.

One ESPN writer thinks that Jim should shake his lineup up and field this variation:

1: Santiago 2B

2. Martinez DH

3: Young LF

4: Cabrera 1B

5: Peralta SS

6: Raburn RF

7: Avila C

8: Jackson CF

9: Inge 3B

Glaring problem? Martinez will not move from the 5 hole. If that happens, Cabrera will not see a pitch the entire time. They will walk him every single time and take their shot at Peralta. This writer is supposedly a professional baseball writer? He has no idea what he is talking about.

If only we actually gave Santiago a chance at batting leadoff.. funny you mentioned Martinez not moving from the 5 hole, as Cabrera and him hit 3 and 4 respectively last night. I wasn't a fan of that but I guess I understand with us not having Young in the lineup.

I didnt so much mean the 5 hole as I meant moving out from behind Cabby. They will not take Victor out of the spot behind Cabrera.

Anyways, game 2 is postponed until tomorrow afternoon because of a phenomenon never seen before in texas... rain.

I feel so bad for Maggs. He stuck with it and could never get fully healthy this season. Great run with the Tigers since this is likely now the end of his MLB career. Thanks for the memories, Maggs!

Obviously, the immediate impact of losing Maggs is also horrible for the Tigers. Already without what would have been our starting corner outfielders in Young and Boesch and now add on Maggs who was hitting the ball very well lately. So now we get Ryan Raburn and Don Kelly instead. I actually like both of those guys, but that's not an ideal starting outfield in the playoffs when you throw in Austin Jackkkkkkkkkkkson too.

Since when does it rain in Texas? Lose Verlander to an extent again because of rain and now another travel day will be spent making up a postponed game. It does give Max a little more time to recover from his relief outing at least. What a depressing day.

There is no rain nor any apparent rain headed for the Dallas metro area. Did they get so much last night/this morning that the field is still an issue?

No kidding. Just read the forecast for tonight in Arlington was cloudy with a 10% chance of rain, so why did they decide to postpone the game four hours in advance? I'm not sure it even rained there at all today from some of the reports on Twitter I have come across. Yet we had to sit through two hours of rain delays last night and now the Rangers get an extra day of rest to bring their entire bullpen back tomorrow.

I doubt FOX is pleased either. They just went from a Sunday night audience to an afternoon on a Monday.

I started to dislike the Cardinals the past few years but with the s*** they've been pulling this year, yesterday's win is all the more sweet. Getting to the World Series would be epic, but beating the Cardinals en route would be icing on the cake.

The Tigers just announced tonight's line-up, featuring Delmon batting 3rd –

CF Jackson

2B Santiago

LF Young

1B Cabrera

DH Martinez

RF Raburn

SS Peralta

C Avila

3B Inge

I feel so much better about our line-up with Young in it, even if his effectiveness is limited compared to the ALDS.

That was one of the most frustrating games I have seen the Tigers play. Holland had no control and the Tigers got nothing with two on in the first and the bases loaded in the second. Just like the Wilson start, but even worse today. It's pretty evident the Tigers aren't going to win games decided by the bullpen against Texas. Worst part of this series so far for me is the Tigers best hitters have done nothing especially with runners on base. Cabrera and Martinez have been anything but their usual clutch. Avila looks completely worn out, Peralta has been quiet and those four guys drove the offense all season.

I also am extremely pissed at Gene Lamont. Without question you have to send Santiago home in the 9th on the Kelly double. Cabrera was going to get walked regardless and V-Mart has struggled with RISP in the playoffs plus you have Feliz on the mound. Gotta take a chance there to try and get the lead because the longer the game went, the more it clearly favors the Rangers. Lamont has been aggressive all season and he holds Santiago with a chance to win the game.

Oh, Ryan Perry is garbage and belongs in Toledo forever. David Pauley and even Brad Penny would be better in that spot. The starting pitching and back-end of the bullpen have been fine. The offense is going to get the Tigers eliminated quickly if they don't turn it around tomorrow.

Edited by GoWings1905

Awesome! No Delmon tonight, as things continue to go the Tigers way. Here's the lineup for Game 3 now: Jackson 8, Santiago 4, Cabrera 3, V-Mart DH, Kelly 5, Peralta 6, Avila 2, Raburn 7, Dirks 9

I would prefer Raburn higher in the batting order since he has been one of the Tigers best hitters in the playoffs, but any way you draw it up, it's not very reassuring missing both Young and Maggs.

Maybe the best thing is the Tigers have hit Colby Lewis pretty well in the past. Jump on him early and build a lead for Fister to work with. Go Tigs!

The bats do have some life! Another gem from Fister and finally some clutch hitting from the big guys. Clearly Austin Jackson getting on base creates very positive situations for the Tigers.

Anyone that booed Miguel Cabrera tonight is a complete tool. I think the Tigers fanbase as a whole is one of the best in MLB, but that was embarassing.

We got ourselves a series again!

I actually scored tickets for last night's game. It was an incredible atmosphere and I don't think I'll ever forget Inge tying it up, but what a let down of a loss. As soon as Hamilton doubled the whole mood changed at the ballpark. And when Cruz's ball landed in the Rangers' bullpen the place cleared out, dejected. By the time we walked passed the Fillmore, the game was already over.

This series has been way closer than any score would indicate, obviously, but it'd be nice to see the Tigers on the other end of one of these fun last-at-bat celebrations that the Rangers keep having. I've got all the faith in the world in JV, but going back to Texas is going to be tough.

Did anyone hear or see any mention made of a fan who fell through the glass barricade in 440? I've been looking online, but to no avail.