• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HankthaTank

2011 MLB Season Thread

Rate this topic

I am disappoint.

Too many opportunities missed.

Exactly. Two factors why this series isn't 3-1 Tigers instead: inability to jump all over the starting pitching of the Rangers and the obvious difference in bullpen depth. The Tigers offense has been miserable, though I can't get too upset really when 1/3 of the lineup is definitely playing injured. The Rangers starting pitching is still very beatable and the Tigers has been very good, which is really the only reason I have any hope today of the Tigers winning the series.

I also thought Jackson trying to steal last night and the intentional walk to Beltre (on one leg) were incredibly poor decisions. I kinda had a feeling it was going to be a repeat of Game 2 though when Cruz threw out Cabrera. The longer these games go either close or tied, the more everything swings to the Rangers advantage.

No Benoit or Valverde today so it looks like our season rests solely on the shoulders of the man that got the Tigers to the playoffs to begin with. Pretty fitting that JV is on the mound for this one.

Edited by GoWings1905

I know 'big win' is an obvious thing to say when their backs are up against the wall, but the fact that they all came together like the team we know we have makes it so much better.

I hadn't realized until this series how utterly stacked the Rangers line-up is. It's completely unreal. Our Tigers are hanging tough, and I couldn't be more proud.

Not done yet! Hopefully some of that offense will stick around in Texas.

Still have the starting pitching advantage in both (potential) games. That's all you can really ask for now is to keep battling again and try to get this thing to Game 7. This has been an epic series with nonstop excitement.

Huge win tonight. Good night in Detroit for sports. Tigers win in front of a sellout crowd and the Wings win in front of a sellout crowd.

I love the Red Wings more than a lot of things, but there's nothing better in sports than the way all of Michigan rallies around the Detroit Tigers. I took my cousin, a California native, to a Tigers game over the Summer and tried explaining to him how dedicated the city is to the Tigers; but even I couldn't have expected all this.

Even living in Grand Rapids, every one wears their Tigers gear on game day and it's a topic of conversation to the point where it becomes the ubiquitous 'game'. With the exception of Monday night at Ford Field, the Tigers are the most important thing going right now and I think it's great. Michigan needs something to rally around, even still, and what better than a team that's beaten and tired and playing their hearts out?

yeah, it is kind of weird having the wings as an afterthought in Detroit, but that is exactly what is going on right now. Two franchises who have epitomized failure over the past 20 something years while the Wings are a perennial cup favorite kind of makes us take the wings for granted. but now that the two supposedly crappy detroit teams are finally coming to the forefront of the sports world makes us root a little harder for them than the wings because we havent been able to in forever. The Wings will have their time in the spotlight in this city later on in the year, but right now, the Lions and Tigers are the teams of Mo-town.

I love the Red Wings more than a lot of things, but there's nothing better in sports than the way all of Michigan rallies around the Detroit Tigers. I took my cousin, a California native, to a Tigers game over the Summer and tried explaining to him how dedicated the city is to the Tigers; but even I couldn't have expected all this.

Even living in Grand Rapids, every one wears their Tigers gear on game day and it's a topic of conversation to the point where it becomes the ubiquitous 'game'. With the exception of Monday night at Ford Field, the Tigers are the most important thing going right now and I think it's great. Michigan needs something to rally around, even still, and what better than a team that's beaten and tired and playing their hearts out?

Well said Travis. I know the NFL rules over other sports almost always in public opinion and obviously the Lions are rightfully generating a ton of attention right now, but I've always felt the Tigers mean more to the city of Detroit than any other team.

I'll be bummed if it ends tonight, but certainly not disappointed in the Tigers. Like you said, this team is giving everything they have while playing through injuries and fatigue.

I am so pumped for this game. I'm also pretty nervous but I will still enjoy this game win or lose like I have all year. It's been a great season. I'm not ready to stop watching baseball just yet so hopefully the Tigers cam pull a win out here somehow and force a game 7.

Scherzer has got to keep the ball down or else the Rangers are going to smack him all over that park. If he does that, our hitters will put up their share of runs. Let's do this.

I have now turned it off in the 7th inning. Not that I'm overly upset with the Tigers; I just can't stand to watch the Rangers celebrate when this series could have easily gone the Tigers way.

I'm pretty hurt right now, but I can say without a doubt this was a very special season. Thanks, Tigers!

I have now turned it off in the 7th inning. Not that I'm overly upset with the Tigers; I just can't stand to watch the Rangers celebrate when this series could have easily gone the Tigers way.

I'm pretty hurt right now, but I can say without a doubt this was a very special season. Thanks, Tigers!

I agree.

Luckily I was at a wedding so I didn't have to see this mess of a game. At least we got to see a special season from this team and hopefully they're improved enough to do it again next year and go all the way.

A crappy way to go out, for sure. Despite that, though, this team was a great time. Like GoWings said, it was a close series that could have easily been 3-2 Tigers headed back to Texas. I'm not ashamed to say that the Tigers lost to the best team in the American League and I'm proud of them for getting where they did.

Let the off-season begin. Illitch is talking about big free agent signings and the Tigers have some obvious holes to fill, but are still in a really good spot to do it all again next year.

A crappy way to go out, for sure. Despite that, though, this team was a great time. Like GoWings said, it was a close series that could have easily been 3-2 Tigers headed back to Texas. I'm not ashamed to say that the Tigers lost to the best team in the American League and I'm proud of them for getting where they did.

Let the off-season begin. Illitch is talking about big free agent signings and the Tigers have some obvious holes to fill, but are still in a really good spot to do it all again next year.

Yea, a great season despite the disappointing end. If you told me at the beginining of the season we would have made it to game 6 in the ALCS I would have been super happy with that. That means we did a lot of good things to get there and we did.

Illitch has said he is looking to add another big bat during the off season. I have no idea who that could be but my guess is maybe a 2nd or 3rd baseman. That's about the only hole we need to fill once Boesch comes back and now that we have Young. We'll see though, it was a good season none the less. Now time for the Lions and Wings to give this city something to cheer about.

It appears the Cardinals are going to the World Series after reaching the playoffs on the final day of the regular season. They certainly prove all it takes is getting in, just like 2006 when they had 83 wins or so and won it all.

I think the Rangers beat the Cardinals in six in a high scoring, starting pitching optional series.

Edited by GoWings1905

Yea, a great season despite the disappointing end. If you told me at the beginining of the season we would have made it to game 6 in the ALCS I would have been super happy with that. That means we did a lot of good things to get there and we did.

Illitch has said he is looking to add another big bat during the off season. I have no idea who that could be but my guess is maybe a 2nd or 3rd baseman. That's about the only hole we need to fill once Boesch comes back and now that we have Young. We'll see though, it was a good season none the less. Now time for the Lions and Wings to give this city something to cheer about.

Yes on all accounts.

The outfield is set with Jackson, Young, and Boesch. We have substantial needs at 2B and 3B - especially 2nd - that should be met in the off-season. Ideally, I'd like to see the Tigers acquire someone with some speed and a high OBP. Drop Jackson to the 9 spot so he can turn the order over with his speed and his strike outs don't hurt so much.

3rd is tricky. I doubt Betemit stays since he rode the pine throughout the post season. Aramis Ramirez (33) will be available from Chicago, he could be a good 2-year stop gap of a power hitting third baseman until Nick Castellanos is ready. Too bad Carlito handcuffed us last off-season. How awesome would Dan Uggla be up the middle? Kelly Johnson is available and, while he wouldn't provide speed, he's got a good bat. Brandon Phillips could potentially be available if Cincinnati doesn't want to pick up his option, but I'd hate for him to ruin the clubhouse dynamic.

The Tigers have a strong 'core' and, outside of 2nd, 3rd, and a bullpen arm - should be set to take the Central again next year.

It won't be a popular opinion but I'm kind of glad Texas put the beat down on the Tigers. Why? Nothing upsets and turns me off on a team more when their players open their mouth. Miggy's "watch the show" comment really rubbed me the wrong way, had a feeling they were done after that.

It won't be a popular opinion but I'm kind of glad Texas put the beat down on the Tigers. Why? Nothing upsets and turns me off on a team more when their players open their mouth. Miggy's "watch the show" comment really rubbed me the wrong way, had a feeling they were done after that.

He hit 5 home runs on 5 swings in BP. I don't know that it was a real cocky thing to say.

My favorite thing about this team was how much fun they were visibly, obviously having down the stretch. They played with a ton of swagger and confidence and I loved every second of it.

That had no effect on the outcome. Besides that, were you upset when Nelson Cruz taunted Verlander in the dugout after his HR in Game 5?

I agree with Travis too. The Tigers swagger was great to watch.

Edited by GoWings1905

They are 70 MPH pitches down the middle in batting practice. It was cocky to say, especially when he failed to show up a couple games. Furthermore I'm sure he could jack 10/10 in batting practice if he really wanted to. Again, they are 70 MPH pitches down the middle, I would hope he can do that seeing how he is the best hitter in all of baseball. They might even be 60 MPH for all I know, figured 70 was a nice, round number

WE TALKIN' 'BOUT PRACTICE?!?!

Get Real

It was very fun to watch, no doubt, I'll agree all day with that. Not hear though. Keep your mouth shut, take care of your business and you'll do fine. You ever hear any Red Wings opening up their mouth?

Didn't think so - Go aboot your business

I wasn't upset with Cruz taunting Verlander, Cabrera started it. It's not like Verlander did anything out-of-the-ordinary special in the playoffs anyways. Once in a lifetime regular season, meh post season.

I fear the backlash

Edited by dallas27