• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HankthaTank

2011 MLB Season Thread

Rate this topic

They are 70 MPH pitches down the middle in batting practice. It was cocky to say, especially when he failed to show up a couple games. Furthermore I'm sure he could jack 10/10 in batting practice if he really wanted to. Again, they are 70 MPH pitches down the middle, I would hope he can do that seeing how he is the best hitter in all of baseball. They might even be 60 MPH for all I know, figured 70 was a nice, round number

WE TALKIN' 'BOUT PRACTICE?!?!

Get Real

It was very fun to watch, no doubt, I'll agree all day with that. Not hear though. Keep your mouth shut, take care of your business and you'll do fine. You ever hear any Red Wings opening up their mouth?

Didn't think so - Go aboot your business

I wasn't upset with Cruz taunting Verlander, Cabrera started it. It's not like Verlander did anything out-of-the-ordinary special in the playoffs anyways. Once in a lifetime regular season, meh post season.

I fear the backlash

I think you're making way too much out of it. If you really wanted to argue about it, couldn't you say he was simply implying it would be a good game/series regardless of team you're rooting for?

They are 70 MPH pitches down the middle in batting practice. It was cocky to say, especially when he failed to show up a couple games. Furthermore I'm sure he could jack 10/10 in batting practice if he really wanted to. Again, they are 70 MPH pitches down the middle, I would hope he can do that seeing how he is the best hitter in all of baseball. They might even be 60 MPH for all I know, figured 70 was a nice, round number

WE TALKIN' 'BOUT PRACTICE?!?!

Get Real

It was very fun to watch, no doubt, I'll agree all day with that. Not hear though. Keep your mouth shut, take care of your business and you'll do fine. You ever hear any Red Wings opening up their mouth?

Didn't think so - Go aboot your business

I wasn't upset with Cruz taunting Verlander, Cabrera started it. It's not like Verlander did anything out-of-the-ordinary special in the playoffs anyways. Once in a lifetime regular season, meh post season.

I fear the backlash

I never even heard of Cabby saying anything but let me get this straight. You're upset that Cabby said something during batting practice when Cabrera has always been a light hearted guy who jokes around at all times but you're cool with Cruz taunting our pitcher in the middle of an LCS? You're sure you're a Tigers fan?

Verlander got screwed in two starts by rain delays, pitched 8 incredible innings with 11 K's against the Yankees and threw 133 pitches giving up two runs before Cruz let everyone know he hit a 100 MPH pitch out. One start gave the Tigers a huge win in a swing game and the other kept their season alive. Not to mention, Verlander was pitching against the two best offenses in the AL. If you look at ERA, then sure Verlander maybe didn't dominate in that regard, but to call his playoff starts "meh" is really false if you watched the games.

Besides, it's not like Cabrera shows off in batting practice and then doesn't hit during the games. He was the Tigers best hitter by far in the ALCS, doing it injured to boot. I can't believe someone is calling out the Tigers two best players for performance. This season is over in April without those two.

I fear the backlash

Why? Because I'm not over both their nuts like everyone else

Verlanders stat line for the LCS

.277 AVG - 1.59 WHIP - 5.56 ERA

Call me kooky, but those don't look like JV numbers. And are you really going to sit there and tell me that is an impressive stat line? Everyone understands a 1.59 WHIP is below average correct? Why he throws a 100 MPH fastball in an 0-2 count against a hitter that has OWNED the Tigers is beyond me. Dumb pitch. He'll learn in time to throw a change piece in the dirt. If you are going to throw a 0-2 fastball throw it high, high, high.

I said he had a once in a lifetime regular season, which everyone seemed to ignore, but he was meh in the playoffs. You know what? Yea, his 1.59 WHIP and 5.56 ERA was awesome. JV can do no wrong. Kid is the most dominant pitcher in the AL and someone says they have a meh playoff run and it's OMMMGGGGZZZZZZ R U REELE A TIEGERS FAN?!?!

They lost, they'll learn from it, pick up some pieces to improve their team and come back to defend the Central next year. They will most likely defend it and be in even more contention for a World Series next year.

From,

A Tigers fan who watched every game

P.S. Nobody ever answered my question: Do you ever see or hear any Red Wings running their mouth in ANY way, shape or form?

I never even heard of Cabby saying anything but let me get this straight. You're upset that Cabby said something during batting practice when Cabrera has always been a light hearted guy who jokes around at all times but you're cool with Cruz taunting our pitcher in the middle of an LCS? You're sure you're a Tigers fan?

Cabrera started it, please read what I write. I thought it was uncalled for and nothing will change that.

You don't have to talk down to us. Most of us have been here ALL year discussing the Tigers and we know what WHIP is.

I specifically said in my post you have to look past the stats for Verlander, but I guess that went unnoticed. I'm still befuddled why you are so pissed at Cabrera, but what Cruz did is acceptable. It's like you came in looking for a backlash and are surprised people don't agree with you.

I guess I shouldn't even suggest both Fister AND Schrezer were, for the most part, more impressive than Verlander in the playoffs

What exactly is your point in all of this? Scherzer couldn't throw a damn strike in the most important game of the year. Fister wasn't very good in New York the first time. All three also had very impressive moments as well.

Do you expect Verlander to duplicate regular season stats over a small sample size against the two best offenses in the AL?

Edited by GoWings1905

You don't have to talk down to us. Most of us have been here ALL year discussing the Tigers and we know what WHIP is.

I specifically said in my post you have to look past the stats for Verlander, but I guess that went unnoticed. I'm still befuddled why you are so pissed at Cabrera, but what Cruz did is acceptable. It's like you came in looking for a backlash and are surprised people don't agree with you.

I understand that. But baseball is a stat game, that's all it is. You play by the numbers. That's why you play certain guys against pitcher a or b or c. Yea, he didn't pitch in the best weather and conditions, but neither did the other pitchers. He could have done a hell of a lot better

Is everyone okay with Inge being the starting 3rd basemen next year hitting a grand total of .184 and career what, .220? Because it's gonna happen, because he's a "nice guy" and you have to look past his God awful stats. Yea, he was one of the best players for us in the playoffs but it's a 164 game season and he's not that good of a baseball player.

I guess I was the only one that was taught to let your actions do your talking

Verlander got screwed in two starts by rain delays, pitched 8 incredible innings with 11 K's against the Yankees and threw 133 pitches giving up two runs before Cruz let everyone know he hit a 100 MPH pitch out. One start gave the Tigers a huge win in a swing game and the other kept their season alive. Not to mention, Verlander was pitching against the two best offenses in the AL. If you look at ERA, then sure Verlander maybe didn't dominate in that regard, but to call his playoff starts "meh" is really false if you watched the games.

Besides, it's not like Cabrera shows off in batting practice and then doesn't hit during the games. He was the Tigers best hitter by far in the ALCS, doing it injured to boot. I can't believe someone is calling out the Tigers two best players for performance. This season is over in April without those two.

^^this

I actually thought JV was pretty good in the POs. The two complete games he played the Tigers won - the only thing that matters. I think the Tigs had a good chance of winning either of the two rainout/delay games - could have/should have beat Sabathia in the original game 1 (like he did later), and Tigs had bases loaded against Wilson when they called the rain delay...

Cabrera did what he needed to do in the ALCS - the hitting top to bottom just wasn't there.

Scherzer *almost had game won game 4 won before giving up a late HR, then pretty much stunk in game 6...unfortunate to not have JV going two full starts instead....baseball gods said no.

All in all they got beat by a team that was playing better in October, and a team that went to the WS last year.

Still a great season, beat the Yanks in the POs, had our chances...

Couldv'e/Shouldv'e won one of the OT games...but didn't.

Texas went all the way to the WS last year and got smoked - Tigs should take note and try their hardest to get back and do better...

Look forward to next season...

Glaring needs for next year: a second baseman, preferably one that can hit leadoff, a #5 starter, and a few good middle relief arms out of the pen. I am not even going to speculate as to a lineup for next season, but our top 4 SP are going to be pretty good, with JV, Fister, Scherzer, and Porcello. I heard the 2B market is pretty lean this winter, so a trade is not out of the question. I like our middle of the lineup with some combo of Boesch, Cabby, Victor, Peralta, and Avila. Looking forward to next March already!

Cards deserved that WS. No one gave them a chance against Philly, Brewers and people were saying Rangers would beat them in 4 or 5 in the World Series. Im glad they won, and I hope Pujols stays in St Louis, he needs to be one of those types of players who play their entire career with one team.

Glaring needs for next year: a second baseman, preferably one that can hit leadoff, a #5 starter, and a few good middle relief arms out of the pen. I am not even going to speculate as to a lineup for next season, but our top 4 SP are going to be pretty good, with JV, Fister, Scherzer, and Porcello. I heard the 2B market is pretty lean this winter, so a trade is not out of the question. I like our middle of the lineup with some combo of Boesch, Cabby, Victor, Peralta, and Avila. Looking forward to next March already!

Yeah, the 2B slot leaves a lot to be desired. Too bad we couldn't have had the money available for Uggla last off-season. Kelly Johnson seems to be the best bet. Not a terrific second baseman, but has a strong bat. I'd really like to add speed at the position, but I don't think that's going to happen.

The agent for Aramis Ramirez has stated that he will not be returning to the Cubs. I smell a starting 3rd baseman.

Yeah, the 2B slot leaves a lot to be desired. Too bad we couldn't have had the money available for Uggla last off-season. Kelly Johnson seems to be the best bet. Not a terrific second baseman, but has a strong bat. I'd really like to add speed at the position, but I don't think that's going to happen.

The agent for Aramis Ramirez has stated that he will not be returning to the Cubs. I smell a starting 3rd baseman.

Agreed and I hope so very badly with Ramirez. Third base is just as much of a need for the Tigers as second, but the market for second baseman is average at best. If Ilitch is indeed set on spending for another "big bat" like he mentioned during the season, Ramirez appears to be the ideal fit. Avila and Peralta are bound to regress and Young is rather inconsistent. I don't think Ramirez will sign for only two years when Castellanos is ready, but I don't care about that too much. The Tigers are very close to being a championship team and should do whatever possible to win now besides something stupid like trading Turner.

Ideally, you fill second base then with some speed and defense if Ramirez signs. I'm probably in the minority, but I could live with a Santiago/Worth platoon if Ramirez is at third. Definitely still need another arm (or four) for the bullpen and maybe a 5th starter to buy time for Turner or maybe Oliver next season. I wouldn't mind getting a backup catcher either even if Victor is healthy enough to catch. Let V-Mart hit the ball and find some other solid defensive catcher to rest Avila.

I'm also in the "give Grady Sizemore a shot" camp. Incentive laden deal, low-risk with the potential for major upside. We need an alternative for Jackson if he struggles again.

I'm also in the "give Grady Sizemore a shot" camp. Incentive laden deal, low-risk with the potential for major upside. We need an alternative for Jackson if he struggles again.

Not a bad call here. Even as I read your first sentence I was still in the 'Oh, hell no' camp - but if we could somehow get him for low-risk/high-reward then I would be interested.

Available 2B according to MLB Trade Rumors:

Clint Barmes

Orlando Cabrera

Robinson Cano (*)

Jamey Carroll

Alex Cora

Craig Counsell

Michael Cuddyer

Mark Ellis

Carlos Guillen

Bill Hall

Willie Harris

Aaron Hill

Kelly Johnson

Adam Kennedy

Jose Lopez

Felipe Lopez

John McDonald

Aaron Miles

Brandon Phillips

Nick Punto

Ramon Santiago

Drew Sutton

Omar Vizquel

Jack Wilson

* team option

In a perfect world, we take a run at Robbie Cano - but that's never happening. Jack Wilson is a strong fielder with little offensive upside, but could be a solid addition in a platoon with Ramon at the bottom of the order. Bill Hall is a million years old, but really fast - probably the speediest of the bunch. Cuddyer would be a welcome addition, but would cost us a first round draft pick.

Basically, a really wordy way of saying the 2B free agent class is less than stellar. I can't say I'm really excited at the idea of any of these guys. Especially because I'd love to see the Tigers add a speedster. I am, however, totally on board the Aramis Ramirez train.

Wow, that's a very weak list. Johnson or Carroll would be my top two choices, but I would have a tough time getting overly excited for either. Although if you look around MLB, second base isn't a position with an abundance of highly talented players. I just don't want Rhymes or Raburn there ever again.

Another name that popped into my mind today was Chase Headley. I mentioned him when Inge got sent down and before the Tigers acquired Betemit. The asking price would be pretty high, but Headley with the Tigers would be sick. I honestly prefer him over Ramirez if the Padres don't want a ransom.

Edited by GoWings1905

Wow, that's a very weak list. Johnson or Carroll would be my top two choices, but I would have a tough time getting overly excited for either. Although if you look around MLB, second base isn't a position with an abundance of highly talented players. I just don't want Rhymes or Raburn there ever again.

Another name that popped into my mind today was Chase Headley. I mentioned him when Inge got sent down and before the Tigers acquired Betemit. The asking price would be pretty high, but Headley with the Tigers would be sick. I honestly prefer him over Ramirez if the Padres don't want a ransom.

A post at Bless You Boys discussed the idea of picking up Jose Reyes, moving Jhonny to 2B and then trading Jackson (and prospects) to San Diego for Headley, then signing an aging CF like Coco Crisp.

I'd honestly rather not get rid of Jackson because he is an absolute stud on defense. He's just being put into a position in the batting order that he shouldn't be. Headley would be a great acquisition, especially since he is better defensively than Ramirez and Castellanos might make a better corner outfielder. It'd be tough to part with whatever we'd need to in order to get him, though.