• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HankthaTank

2011 MLB Season Thread

Rate this topic

So Free Agency officially starts at 12:01 am. My wishlist includes Aramis Ramirez (3B), Michael Cuddyer (2B), and Heath Bell (yeah right). I would be happy to see the Tigers pick up Javier Lopez (RP), and Ryan Doumit ©.

I think Pudge's return could be a very real possibility, which would be awesome. A back-up role for the guy who led the Tigers' turn around would be incredible.

So Free Agency officially starts at 12:01 am. My wishlist includes Aramis Ramirez (3B), Michael Cuddyer (2B), and Heath Bell (yeah right). I would be happy to see the Tigers pick up Javier Lopez (RP), and Ryan Doumit ©.

I think Pudge's return could be a very real possibility, which would be awesome. A back-up role for the guy who led the Tigers' turn around would be incredible.

I really like this list a lot. I think it's unlikely the Tigers will get both Cuddyer and Ramirez with the money each will demand, but I do see Ramirez being a very possible addition. Doumit would be a great backup catcher for Avila. I will take any lefty not named Schlereth or righty named Perry for the pen. Add Grady for me and that would be a terrific off-season for the Tigers.

Congrats to JV for winning the AL Cy Young award. No surprise there. They could have just skipped that, and gone on to the next award. We'll see now if he wins AL MVP

So today, completely out of no where, I had Chuck Knoblauch follow me on Twitter. My question is why?

Congrats to JV on the well-earned Cy Young. I think he is the MVP, but I would be shocked if he actually wins.

I really want to see the Tigers get Martin Prado too. The Braves owe us for the Jurrjens disaster of a trade, so they should probably just go ahead and take Delmon Young and call it even.

Congrats to JV on the well-earned Cy Young. I think he is the MVP, but I would be shocked if he actually wins.

I really want to see the Tigers get Martin Prado too. The Braves owe us for the Jurrjens disaster of a trade, so they should probably just go ahead and take Delmon Young and call it even.

I like the idea of Prado, but not at the cost of Delmon Young. We need a lead-off guy, but Young proved invaluable down the stretch in a Tigers uniform and drives in a lot more runs than he is liable for even at Comerica. Especially because the things I have seen say Tigers would then likely target a Coco Crisp-type OF at a low cost. Not only do I not want Coco Crisp on this team, it would then give us 2 lead off-type batters (3 if Jackson ever figures it out) against a run producer.

This is all Carlos Guillen's fault. I am delusional certain the Tigers would have been in on/landed Dan Uggla last season and will never forgive Carlito for it.

Regardless of any of this, I am really curious to see what the Tigers do when the Arbitration Offer Deadline hits in a week. That's when the real fun should begin, especially since the GM meetings are going on right now. Here's hoping for a cool Thanksgiving present from Dombrowski.

I like the idea of Prado, but not at the cost of Delmon Young. We need a lead-off guy, but Young proved invaluable down the stretch in a Tigers uniform and drives in a lot more runs than he is liable for even at Comerica. Especially because the things I have seen say Tigers would then likely target a Coco Crisp-type OF at a low cost. Not only do I not want Coco Crisp on this team, it would then give us 2 lead off-type batters (3 if Jackson ever figures it out) against a run producer.

This is all Carlos Guillen's fault. I am delusional certain the Tigers would have been in on/landed Dan Uggla last season and will never forgive Carlito for it.

Regardless of any of this, I am really curious to see what the Tigers do when the Arbitration Offer Deadline hits in a week. That's when the real fun should begin, especially since the GM meetings are going on right now. Here's hoping for a cool Thanksgiving present from Dombrowski.

I definitely understand that opinion and respect it. I like Young (more than I expected even), but I feel like Prado is a much better fit for the Tigers right now. My guess would be Prado would start at second for the Tigers. Nice part though is he can also play third base and left field, all three being areas of need this winter. Prado isn't overly fast, but he hits for enough average to bat in one of the first two spots in the order depending on Jackson.

I'm still not sold on Young as a three-hitter (too many K's, RBI numbers way down) and I do seem him as expendable if Boesch is healthy. Adding another outfielder is much easier to do in this free agent class than finding someone to start at second and/or third. Josh Willingam is out there or take a shot with Grady Sizemore and have Raburn/Dirks fill in when needed.

I feel ya on Uggla. How about Cabrera-Uggla-Martinez hitting 3-4-5 in the order? I just want this revolving door at second to end. None of the internal options appear to be a long-term solution either.

Edited by GoWings1905

I definitely understand that opinion and respect it. I like Young (more than I expected even), but I feel like Prado is a much better fit for the Tigers right now. My guess would be Prado would start at second for the Tigers. Nice part though is he can also play third base and left field, all three being areas of need this winter. Prado isn't overly fast, but he hits for enough average to bat in one of the first two spots in the order depending on Jackson.

I'm still not sold on Young as a three-hitter (too many K's, RBI numbers way down) and I do seem him as expendable if Boesch is healthy. Adding another outfielder is much easier to do in this free agent class than finding someone to start at second and/or third. Josh Willingam is out there or take a shot with Grady Sizemore and have Raburn/Dirks fill in when needed.

I feel ya on Uggla. How about Cabrera-Uggla-Martinez hitting 3-4-5 in the order? I just want this revolving door at second to end. None of the internal options appear to be a long-term solution either.

Prado struggled when the Braves moved him to left this year. If we move Young we have to go out and find another outfielder to take his place, since Magglio isn't coming back and Dirks / Raburn are nowhere near everyday players.

Laird leaves something to be desired, but a back-up catcher is like signing a 6/7th defenseman. He won't have much influence or bearing on the game, and he'll only start 30-40. If he really sucks, we do have that Martinez guy who can strap 'em on. I would still have rather seen Pudge come back, though.

Regardless, this is a minor move in every sense of the word - which we all knew the Tigers were going to do at C. I'm excited to see how they fill the areas of real need.

Prado struggled when the Braves moved him to left this year. If we move Young we have to go out and find another outfielder to take his place, since Magglio isn't coming back and Dirks / Raburn are nowhere near everyday players.

Laird leaves something to be desired, but a back-up catcher is like signing a 6/7th defenseman. He won't have much influence or bearing on the game, and he'll only start 30-40. If he really sucks, we do have that Martinez guy who can strap 'em on. I would still have rather seen Pudge come back, though.

Regardless, this is a minor move in every sense of the word - which we all knew the Tigers were going to do at C. I'm excited to see how they fill the areas of real need.

Agreed. I'm not too concerned with a backup catcher, but Laird would have been pretty low on my list of choices. If he can keep Avila fresh and play adequate defense, I guess it will be fine. Let's just hope Inge, Laird and Kelly all don't get starts on the same day. Now we get to hear Rod Allen talk about G-Money all of the time again. Rod loves those guys with similar batting averages as he had.

The Twins have signed Ryan Doumit for 1yr/$3mil. Kind of surprised he didn't command more, but probably just happy to get on a team that will challenge for once. Would have been a nice addition, but we don't need a $3 million catcher.

The announcement has been pushed back until Tuesday. Good article on Bless You Boys about what a new CBA means for the Tigers this off-season.

Just under 30 minutes away from the announcement of the AL MVP. I don't expect Verlander to win, thanks to the whole pitcher debate; but it seems his campaign is picking up steam, with even ESPN voting him the MVP this morning. Baseball Tonight brought up good points about Ellsbury, Bautista (no playoffs), and Granderson (poor BA) that made me think JV might actually have a chance in this thing. I still expect Curtis Granderson to be named MVP, though.

WOO HE DID IT!

Nobody deserved to be MVP more than JV and I'm glad the writers recognized this, which I truly didn't expect to happen. I want to know who the idiot is that left Verlander off the ballot entirely.

This was truly a once-in-a-lifetime season we got to watch as Tigers fans. I don't doubt Verlander can do it again or come close, but everything he accomplished this year is just staggering. How many times in baseball can you turn on a game and call it an automatic win?

Thanks JV!

Congrats to JV for being named MVP! I'm proud of the guy! He's only 28 and he's already won the Rookie of the Year, CY Young, and MVP!

You should hear all the people in the Toronto area who think Bautista should have won the MVP. Dude was only 11th in RBI's and 6th in runs scored. I'm actually surprised he's as high as 3rd in the voting. Granderson and Cabrera had better seasons than he did!

lol at the person who voted Micheal Young for MVP. Let me guess, that writer was from Dallas?

What's most surprising about this, is how ahead he actually was in points:

Player Points 1st Place Votes

Justin Verlander,

Tigers 280 13

Jacoby Ellsbury,

Red Sox 242 4

Jose Bautista,

Blue Jays 231 5

Curtis Granderson,

Yankees 215 3

Miguel Cabrera,

Tigers 193 2

And all this time we thought it would be a longshot for him to beat out an everyday player, seeing how they shafted Pedro Martinez years ago.