• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HankthaTank

2011 MLB Season Thread

Rate this topic

Verlander's interview on DP today, JV was asked if he would have voted for himself for MVP and he said "Yes" :thumbup:.

JV was also asked who he would have voted for if he couldn't vote for himself, he said Cabrera, again :thumbup:. I like JV being voted as MVP, but I do think Cabrera is being over looked for the season that he had. No one seems to mention that he won the batting title.

Don't get me wrong: Cabrera makes the Tigers offense go and he had a spectacular season, but I would have been a bit disappointed had he won or finished ahead of Verlander for MVP. Think about the Tigers pitching staff before Fister arrived. Max started great and then went really rough, Porcello struggled with consistency, Coke was awful and Penny was an adequate 5th starter pitching as a 4th. The Tigers got very hot in the second half, but Verlander's pitching basically kept them afloat until the Fister trade. 16 wins after a loss and he always saved a relatively thin bullpen.

I guess during the season, in a way, I selfishly saw what Verlander was doing as a means for the Tigers to ultimately win games. Looking back now, I can't but help to realize and appreciate everything he accomplished. He is the MVP in every sense of the award. 2006 was amazing, but I will never forget this season.

Edited by GoWings1905

Don't get me wrong: Cabrera makes the Tigers offense go and he had a spectacular season, but I would have been a bit disappointed had he won or finished ahead of Verlander for MVP. Think about the Tigers pitching staff before Fister arrived. Max started great and then went really rough, Porcello struggled with consistency, Coke was awful and Penny was an adequate 5th starter pitching as a 4th. The Tigers got very hot in the second half, but Verlander's pitching basically kept them afloat until the Fister trade. 16 wins after a loss and he always saved a relatively thin bullpen.

I guess during the season, in a way, I selfishly saw what Verlander was doing as a means for the Tigers to ultimately win games. Looking back now, I can't but help to realize and appreciate everything he accomplished. He is the MVP in every sense of the award. 2006 was amazing, but I will never forget this season.

I'm looking forward to having Fister a full season. We could win 98-99 games next year! Clearly we're the favorites to win the Central again.

I know what you mean about the 2011 team. They didn't make it as far as 2006, but the season Verlander and Cabrera had, along with VMart, Peralta, Avila, Valverde, etc. It was a fun team to watch.

Arbitration decisions are due at midnight tonight for Magglio Ordonez and Wilson Betemit. It's a pretty foregone conclusion that Magglio will not receive compensation; but there is a chance that Betemit may, though I'd certainly hope they don't.

Things should start heating up here very soon.

I am still fairly confident Aramis Ramirez ends up with the Tigers. Gotta take some chances to win now with Verlander and Cabrera in their primes.

The Tigers' contact with Ramirez has been made official, though, no offers have been made yet. Word is now that Detroit is also interested in the services of Mark Buehrle, which I am also totally okay with. Better than rushing Turner or Oliver if we can pick up a great lefty to bolster the order.

Santiago back for two years. Nice move for the Tigers -- solid bench player, can play multiple positions and provided some offense even down the stretch. I am a little surprised it happened, mostly because I assumed Worth would just step in and fill Sanitago's role but no complaints having Ramon around again.

Was really hoping Lamont would get the Red Sox job. Stoked to watch the Tigers slow runners get gunned down by a mile at the plate some more again next season.

Word is a number of the Red Sox are unhappy with the hiring of Bobby Valentine. Kind of fun watching that team turn into a train wreck.

Heath Bell has apparently agreed to a 3 year, $27 million deal with the Florida Marlins. Looks like they're for real about pursuing top-notch talent after all.

Jose Reyes follows Bell to the Marlins for six years and over 100 million. I think that's overpayment, but the Marlins are looking like a serious contender for years to come. Add another starting pitcher and they may win the NL East next season. Reyes, Ramirez, Stanton, Sanchez, Morrison, Josh Johnson -- that is some superb, young talent.

Look at Miami, trying to buy another championship! That's one way of bring people out to fill the new ballpark. They might even make a pitch to Alcántara.

Look at Miami, trying to buy another championship! That's one way of bring people out to fill the new ballpark. They might even make a pitch to Alcántara.

Jose Reyes follows Bell to the Marlins for six years and over 100 million. I think that's overpayment, but the Marlins are looking like a serious contender for years to come. Add another starting pitcher and they may win the NL East next season. Reyes, Ramirez, Stanton, Sanchez, Morrison, Josh Johnson -- that is some superb, young talent.

They've also made it known that Pujols is their next target and sources have said that they are the only real contender outside of St. Louis.

Winter Meetings started today and reports are the Tigers and Aramis Ramirez have not had any serious talks since earlier this month. However, word is the Phillies are going to make a push for Ramirez and that they are looking to move Placido Polanco.

Tigers rumored to be the front-runner for Octavio Dotel this evening. I would be quite happy if this happened. Dotel-Benoit-Valverde from the 7th inning on would be terrific. As we saw in the Rangers series, a deep bullpen can have a huge impact. Still would leave Coke as a situational lefty, AlAl is a huge question mark right now and Dotel would also keep Perry and Schlereth off the mound in crucial spots.

I'm also hoping the Tigers don't overpay for Gio Gonzalez. It seems like the price is too steep at this point thankfully, but I am pretty much a believer in keeping Turner at all costs. Gonzalez is a real strong pitcher and left-handed, though I don't see starting pitching as a glaring need like I do two spots on the infield. Get a fifth starter that can buy some time until Turner is ready. The farm system is gutted as it is, let alone what would happen acquiring someone like Gonzalez.

Edited by GoWings1905

Tigers rumored to be the front-runner for Octavio Dotel this evening. I would be quite happy if this happened. Dotel-Benoit-Valverde from the 7th inning on would be terrific. As we saw in the Rangers series, a deep bullpen can have a huge impact. Still would leave Coke as a situational lefty, AlAl is a huge question mark right now and Dotel would also keep Perry and Schlereth off the mound in crucial spots.

I'm also hoping the Tigers don't overpay for Gio Gonzalez. It seems like the price is too steep at this point thankfully, but I am pretty much a believer in keeping Turner at all costs. Gonzalez is a real strong pitcher and left-handed, though I don't see starting pitching as a glaring need like I do two spots on the infield. Get a fifth starter that can buy some time until Turner is ready. The farm system is gutted as it is, let alone what would happen acquiring someone like Gonzalez.

Yeah, it sounds like the Tigers have walked away from the Gio Gonzalez talk. Apparently it started at Turner and built from there. Way too much to pay for a 2/3 arm.

I guess Dotel is between 'an NL team' and the Tigers - with the Tigers being in the forefront.

The Marlins continue to load up on big names by agreeing to terms with Mark Buehrle. Where did this team get so much money all of the sudden?

Tigers have agreed to terms with Dotel on a 1 year deal with an option.

In Toronto, Kelly Johnson has accepted the Blue Jays arbitration offer and is off the market.

Detroit is apparently the favorite for Yoenis Cepedis, too. Perhaps Young (or Dirks) gets traded for a 2B?

Ugh. Pujols AND CJ Wilson to the Angels.

The Angels combination of power and speed is sickening now. Not to mention a rotation at the front of Weaver-Haren-Wilson is as good as any in baseball.

I do like the Dotel signing, though. Need all the pitching possible should the Tigers make the playoffs and see the Yankees/Red Sox or Rangers/Angels.

Tigers have agreed to terms with Dotel on a 1 year deal with an option.

In Toronto, Kelly Johnson has accepted the Blue Jays arbitration offer and is off the market.

Detroit is apparently the favorite for Yoenis Cepedis, too. Perhaps Young (or Dirks) gets traded for a 2B?

Oh God, please.

Ryan Perry traded by the Tigers today to the Nationals today for some character named Collin Balester.

Don't know anything about Balester besides what I just read, but I know he's not Ryan Perry. That in itself makes this trade a win. It appears Balester will provide the long-relief role in the Tigers bullpen next season.

Edited by GoWings1905

Disappointing news about Ryan Braun, though a spokesman says there is a medical reason for his test results.

I am under the impression that Balester will report to AAA Toledo if he doesn't impress out of Spring Training. He appeared in 28 games with the Nationals AAA affiliate last year and with Coke, Pauley, AlAl, Dotel, Benoit, and Valverde it looks like Balester will have to compete with the likes of Below to earn a spot.

ESPN Chicago reports that Aramis Ramirez has agreed to terms with the Milwaukee Brewers on a 3 year deal.

Disappointing news about Ryan Braun, though a spokesman says there is a medical reason for his test results.

I am under the impression that Balester will report to AAA Toledo if he doesn't impress out of Spring Training. He appeared in 28 games with the Nationals AAA affiliate last year and with Coke, Pauley, AlAl, Dotel, Benoit, and Valverde it looks like Balester will have to compete with the likes of Below to earn a spot.

ESPN Chicago reports that Aramis Ramirez has agreed to terms with the Milwaukee Brewers on a 3 year deal.

Hell Yeah! McGhee was terrible last year and Ramirez definitely shores things up.

As for Braunie, I'm absolutely sick and just can't believe what I'm hearing. It really doesn't make sense at all and I'm more than curious to see how this plays out.