• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HankthaTank

2011 MLB Season Thread

Rate this topic

Good. Rhymes isn't a major league player and should have never gotten the job last year over Sizemore. Worth is better than Rhymes too, so he's an option as well at the revolving door of second base for the Tigers. I'm actually somewhat OK with the platoon of Santiago and Raburn, but I will be pissed if the Tigers don't address third base. Brandon Inge and Don Kelly is not going to cut it in any way. It sucks Ramirez is off the market now; still hoping for a deal that doesn't include Turner or Castellanos to land Chase Headley.

I'm bummed by the Braun news -- one of my favorite players in baseball. I read somewhere that MLB has never overturned a suspension related to PED's, so it doesn't look too promising for Braun or the Brewers going forward. If Braun does gets suspended, it once again looks very bad for baseball. This isn't some minor leaguer getting caught. Matt Kemp deserves the MVP too if Braun is guilty.

Good. Rhymes isn't a major league player and should have never gotten the job last year over Sizemore. Worth is better than Rhymes too, so he's an option as well at the revolving door of second base for the Tigers. I'm actually somewhat OK with the platoon of Santiago and Raburn, but I will be pissed if the Tigers don't address third base. Brandon Inge and Don Kelly is not going to cut it in any way. It sucks Ramirez is off the market now; still hoping for a deal that doesn't include Turner or Castellanos to land Chase Headley.

I'm bummed by the Braun news -- one of my favorite players in baseball. I read somewhere that MLB has never overturned a suspension related to PED's, so it doesn't look too promising for Braun or the Brewers going forward. If Braun does gets suspended, it once again looks very bad for baseball. This isn't some minor leaguer getting caught. Matt Kemp deserves the MVP too if Braun is guilty.

Bruan was tested all regular season with each result coming back clean. His "dirty" result (which his people say there's a medical reason for) didn't take place until the playoffs. Most importantly, with the voting being for the regular season only, it stands to reason he should keep the MVP award.

Still, something just doesn't add up here. Braun is one of the smartest players in the MLB and he had already gotten his lifetime contract earlier this season. It makes no sense for him to use PED's. Anyone that does is a cheater in my mind, but there just seems to be something amiss with this one and I'll wait until after the appeal process is completed before passing judgement.

Bruan was tested all regular season with each result coming back clean. His "dirty" result (which his people say there's a medical reason for) didn't take place until the playoffs. Most importantly, with the voting being for the regular season only, it stands to reason he should keep the MVP award.

Stil, something just doesn't add up here. Braun is one of the smartest players in the MLB and he had already gotten his lifetime contract earlier this season. It makes not sense for him to use PED's. Anyone that does is a cheater in my mind, but there just seems to be something amiss with this one and I'll wait until after the appeal process is completed before passing judgement.

All very fair points. I like Braun too and hope this turns out to be a mistake, but I just don't see that being the case. Any player that uses PED's still after the whole Mitchell Report is flat-out stupid and asking to get caught.

Yesterday the NY Post ran a story saying Jeter gives his one night stands autograph Baseball's.

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/derek-jeter-gives-his-one-night-stands-autographed-baseballs-20111312

Edit: Here's the NY Post link http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/jeter_booty_hauls_smU8lFebpsBGJXpyHoMKSN

Edited by Barrie

All very fair points. I like Braun too and hope this turns out to be a mistake, but I just don't see that being the case. Any player that uses PED's still after the whole Mitchell Report is flat-out stupid and asking to get caught.

Couldn't agree more.

braun-ryan.jpg

Cheetah!

Looks like you might have to take that back. I knew something had to be up!

http://www.terezowens.com/more-on-ryan-brauns-herpes-situation/

I have more inside information on the Ryan Braun ‘herpes rumor’ situation. I heard this yesterday from two guys who both work for the Brewers. According to them, “Braun will be let off because he tested positive for Herpes and the medication given to him by his doctor (legal to fight this) is what caused the spike. Braun and his lawyers plan to go after whoever leaked the story because of HIPAA laws. That is why Braun has not made a statement and that is also why in Mark’s statement he referenced it being a “personal issue”. So we’ll see what happens, but from the sounds of it, the Brewers brass is pretty confident he will be let off. Still extremely embarrassing for him, but better than roids and more importantly better for the team. I guess one thing we did learn about Braun through this whole ordeal is he is not exactly intelligent.” This is a lose lose situation for Braun…Kinda crazy for an MVP to be dealing with such an uncomfortable dilemma.

The Tigers report that Al Alburquerque had surgery to repair a fracture in his elbow. He could be out until the All-Star Break.

Just read that too; makes the Dotel signing even more necessary now. AlAl really struggled after getting hit in the head, so I'm curious to see how he comes back next year from yet another injury. Like Zumaya, he has great stuff but the health seems to be an issue so far.

I don't understand why David Pauley's name is never mentioned for the bullpen. Maybe he has more of a shot now, but it seems like he never really got much of a chance since coming over to the Tigers. He pitched pretty often and multiple innings for the Mariners. Fister is obviously the gem of that trade, but the Tigers gave up a lot to only utilize Fister.

Off-topic, but the Twins signed Josh Willingham and Michael Cuddyer went to the Rockies today. Too bad the Tigers weren't in on either. Both are better options than Delmon Young in left.

Been a rather boring off-season for the Tigers so far, but there are rumors tonight the Tigers are making a push for Matt Garza. The Cubs are obviously in rebuild mode and will most likely be demanding a couple of the Tigers top prospects. I still don't want Turner to get dealt at all, but at least the Tigers have a pretty strong arsenal of starting pitchers to offer.

Verlander-Fister-Garza-Scherzer-Porcello would be pretty damn sick. Honestly if the Tigers end up with Garza, I wouldn't be opposed to dangling Porcello to address some of the other needs on the team.

Edited by GoWings1905

I would be pretty happy to see Garza in a Tigers uniform. Not sure how I feel about trading Turner at this point, but you can't argue with that rotation.

They still need some help on offense, I think. Or I guess I should say, I'd like to see them get some.

I can't believe how quiet this off-season has been for Detroit.

I would be pretty happy to see Garza in a Tigers uniform. Not sure how I feel about trading Turner at this point, but you can't argue with that rotation.

They still need some help on offense, I think. Or I guess I should say, I'd like to see them get some.

I can't believe how quiet this off-season has been for Detroit.

Same here. I know the Tigers won the division by 15 games, but the Indians and Royals are both going to be better and you have to think the Twins will bounce back too if healthy. Granted, I still believe this is easily the Tigers division to lose even if they don't make any other moves. I don't really just want to make the playoffs, though.

Same here. I know the Tigers won the division by 15 games, but the Indians and Royals are both going to be better and you have to think the Twins will bounce back too if healthy. Granted, I still believe this is easily the Tigers division to lose even if they don't make any other moves. I don't really just want to make the playoffs, though.

Yeah, especially with Verlander and Cabrera entering their primes and having a very real opportunity to add some World Series-caliber talent in only a couple of spots where we need upgrades, really. I understand that the last time the Tigers tasted success and Dombrowski went all H.A.M. on bringing in new talent that it blew up in his face; but to me that just says spend intelligently, not batten down the hatches.

Anyone see Verlander on Conan O'Brian the other night? He confessed that he eats Taco Bell before each start, breakfast of champions.

The night before. So his Breakfast of Champions is stomach aches.

The Tigers agree to contracts with Rick Porcello, Max Scherzer, Don Kelly, and Delmon Young keeing Dave Dombrowski's arbitration 0'fer going. Now that they're out of the way, I'd love to see the Tigers sign someone who didn't wear an Olde English D last season.

And as I type that, word hits that Victor Martinez has torn his ACL and will likely miss the entire 2012 season.

Now I guess they have to sign someone.

Devastating loss. I'm so bummed about this news right now. I think it's fair to say the Tigers chances of winning the division again just dropped immensely.

The Tigers most glaring weakness just turned into a full-blown disaster without V-Mart. Who the hell protects Cabrera or drives in runs now? This team was already another major hitter short of truly contending IMO. It might really be time for DD to use that abundance of starting pitching prospects to land a big bat in a trade.

V-Mart is my favorite player on the team too. This off-season just went from boring to awful.

Devastating loss. I'm so bummed about this news right now. I think it's fair to say the Tigers chances of winning the division again just dropped immensely.

The Tigers most glaring weakness just turned into a full-blown disaster without V-Mart. Who the hell protects Cabrera or drives in runs now? This team was already another major hitter short of truly contending IMO. It might really be time for DD to use that abundance of starting pitching prospects to land a big bat in a trade.

V-Mart is my favorite player on the team too. This off-season just went from boring to awful.

Agreed on lots of different levels.

Looking at the free agent market, there isn't much to get excited about. Carlos Pena and Derrek Lee are both available who could platoon at 1B/DH with Cabrera but neither have crazy good numbers. That said, both of them were on pretty horrible teams for most of the year.

Maybe something like:

Jackson

Boesch

Young

Cabrera

Lee/Pena

Avila

Peralta

Inge

Raburn/Santiago

There is talk that Victor could be back before the year ends, but that would obviously be a bonus and isn't something to rely on. If that were to happen, maybe we can move Lee or Pena to 3B? Who knows. The 3 names below Jhonny's worry me immensely.

Pena is probably my favorite option for a short-term fix. I still think if DD goes the free agent route for a DH type replacement for V-Mart, he really needs to explore trades for a third baseman or left fielder. Delmon Young's defense terrifies me in left field, not to mention I don't think his bat is anywhere near as good as the one we saw in the playoffs spread out over 162 games.

Another issue is how likely Peralta and Avila are to regress this season. Throw in Jackson's struggles, Boesch's healthy and no production offensively from third base and there are question marks everywhere in the lineup. Cabrera and Martinez together were the two certainties of production.

The positive spin is I still believe the Tigers can and probably should win the division mostly because of their starting rotation. Beyond the mediocre competition in the Central though, the Tigers are maybe the sixth best team in the AL. I feel like I got punched in the gut today. Being a Tigers fan sucks most of the time.

If the Rangers get Fielder which seems pretty likely, the AL has some really good teams. Yankees rotation is significantly better, the Red Sox are still very talented, Rays have strong pitching and then both the Angels and Rangers had huge off-seasons.

Even with V-Mart, that's some tough competition.

Pena is probably my favorite option for a short-term fix. I still think if DD goes the free agent route for a DH type replacement for V-Mart, he really needs to explore trades for a third baseman or left fielder. Delmon Young's defense terrifies me in left field, not to mention I don't think his bat is anywhere near as good as the one we saw in the playoffs spread out over 162 games.

Another issue is how likely Peralta and Avila are to regress this season. Throw in Jackson's struggles, Boesch's healthy and no production offensively from third base and there are question marks everywhere in the lineup. Cabrera and Martinez together were the two certainties of production.

The positive spin is I still believe the Tigers can and probably should win the division mostly because of their starting rotation. Beyond the mediocre competition in the Central though, the Tigers are maybe the sixth best team in the AL. I feel like I got punched in the gut today. Being a Tigers fan sucks most of the time.

Today I crafted my 'perfect world' scenario and it plays out like this:

Sign Yoenis Cespedes and put him in LF where Delmon Young would play. Move Delmon to DH and keep him in his spot in the order.

Then (begin fantasy), trade Drew Smyly, Avisial Garcia, and whoever else to the rebuilding Cubs for Matt Garza and Alfonso Soriano. Garza would bolster the rotation in a major way and Soriano - who has plenty of 2B experience in his career - can protect Cabrera in the line-up without creating a logjam if Victor Martinez can return this season. Obviously, Soriano is not the 2B of old and has been playing OF for many years, but he's certainly better all-around than anyone who would play the position regularly. It will also lessen the need for a bat at 3B.

The only issue with Soriano is that it's feast or famine. His BA and OBP were low (.244 / .289), but he also hit 26 doubles, 27 home runs, and batted in 88 runs on a team that was, for lack of a better term, terrible.

I know it's a total pipe dream but I'd love the Tigers to field this on Opening Day:

CF Jackson

LF Boesch

DH Young

1B Cabrera

2B Soriano

SS Peralta

C Avila

RF Cespedes

3B Inge

Depending on numbers, Cespedes could also lead off and the Tigers could bat Jackson 9th to roll the order over.

and our rotation would be

Verlander

Fister

Garza

Scherzer

Porcello

Just hand over that AL Central title.