Make it happen, Dave!

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#22 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:30 AM

^^^^ Posted Image Absolutely! Consistent .300 AVG. 200 hit guy who plays pretty solid defense. Put him at 2nd and we may just have a Polanco type signing. Have always liked this guy and have owned him on like 4 consecutive fantasy baseball teams probably going on a 5th. I was thinking the other day how the Tigers have sort of been molding themselves after the Rangers and if they get this one done it would only just reiterate that.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#23 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 12:33 PM

Young, who debuted with the Rangers in 2000 and in the decade that followed become the de facto captain, contractually can be traded to eight teams, among them the two Los Angeles clubs, Colorado Rockies, St. Louis Cardinals andMinnesota Twins. The Rangers have asked Young to broaden the pool of teams and Young has declined.

Well, damn.

#24 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 05:13 PM

So when manager Jim Leyland hails this a make-or-break year for himself and Dombrowski, he’s not exaggerating. Enough mistakes have been made and enough money misspent that a World Series appearance five years ago no longer will save a job. The Tigers need to be Chrysler-Super Bowl-commercial good, and their roster isn’t lacking.

yahoo article

#25 wingsgirl001

wingsgirl001

Hey Hey, Hockeytown!

• Gold Booster
  • 6,752 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 03:40 PM

Today officially starts Spring Training!! Can't wait for baseball! :D

i57ouh.jpg

Captain Z!

#26 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,603 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 12:53 AM

Tigers are going to field a good team this season.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#27 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 09:36 PM

“His status is the same as everyone else, which is a good thing,” Detroit Tigers manager Jim Leyland said. “He was hurt and hurt bad, and now all of a sudden he is feeling great.”

Ball jumping out of Zumaya's hand

Sure sounds promising but all other seasons have taught us not to get too pumped about Zumaya's health. Here is hoping because he can really be a key cog to some competitive baseball. Posted Image

#28 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 10:30 AM

Went to TJ Maxx today and they're already stocking Victor Martinez shirts.

It was hard not to buy one.

#29 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 02:47 PM

Sporting the Sparky patch for the 2011 season Posted Image
Posted Image

#30 dallas27

dallas27

It worked with Hossa, now it's Ilya's turn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 02:37 AM

Anyone go to tigers fest? Haven't been that cold in a looonngggg time but was damn well worth it. Baseball season can't start soon enough. On a sidenote, vegas gave them 12:1 odds of winning it all. Good bet.

It's a Festivus miracle!!!

"For the next 20 minutes, you will sit in silence while I tell you why the Detroit Red Wings are the greatest franchise in the history of professional sports." -Dr. Perry Cox

#31 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 02:53 PM

The deadline for Albert Pujols and the St. Louis Cardinals to reach a new contract agreement passed Wednesday with no new deal, making it likely the three-time MVP will test the free-agent market after the season.

yahoo article

That is shocking really. Dude is going to get an insanely large amount of $ going into free-agency next year.

#32 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 06:21 PM

Victor's wheels
Posted Image

#33 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 08:06 PM

Not bad, VMart.

Classy move by Pujols to avoid dealing with all of this during the season; but it's going to make things tough for the Cards. MLB Network said that during the press conference St Louis' management confirmed that they had only made 1 offer to Pujols after he set the deadline. How do you not throw him as many offers as you possibly can?

Bob Costas brought up a good point. The thought is that Pujols could fetch nearly $10mil/yr; the only teams that could really afford a contract like that - Yankees, Red Sox, Phillies - already have first basemen that aren't going anywhere any time soon. This situation is hardly comfortable for the Cardinals, but that has to be some sort of assurance for their fan base.

The Cubs keep coming up in conversation as a team that could potentially throw a lot of money at Albert in the off-season. I would be thrilled to see him in a Cubbies jersey as they are my NL team.

#34 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,603 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 10:19 AM

Miguel Cabrera arrested on DUI

This isn't the fresh start the Tigers wanted out of Miguel Cabrera.

Cabrera was arrested late Wednesday on drunken driving charges in Florida.

Cabrera, 27, was also charged with two counts of resisting an officer without violence.

He was booked at the St. Lucie Countie jail at 12:20 a.m. Thursday and was released at 7:45 a.m. after posting a $1,350 bond.

The St. Lucie County Sheriff's Office said Cabrera's car engine was smoking when a deputy spotted the vehicle before 11 p.m., according to records released Thursday.

According to the arrest report, Cabrera smelled of alcohol, had "heavily slurred" speech and took a swing from a bottle of scotch in front of a deputy. Cabrera refused to submit a Breathalyzer test and was noted as being cocky, combative and argumentative, police said.

Police say Cabrera repeatedly refused to cooperate, saying, "Do you know who I am, you don't know anything about my problems."

Cabrera's arrest comes a little more than a year completing a three-month outpatient treatment program for alcoholism following a much-publicized drinking binge during the final weekend of the 2009 season. Tigers general manager Dave Dombrowski said Cabrera was expected to continue the program throughout the 2010 season.

The All-Star first baseman got into a fight with his wife after a night of drinking, right before his team surrendered the American League Central Division title to the Minnesota Twins.

Cabrera was placed into custody by police after a domestic-abuse complaint was filed by his wife in the early morning of Oct. 3 – hours before a crucial game against the Chicago White Sox.

Police said he arrived at his suburban Detroit home at 5 a.m. on Saturday and got into a fight with his wife, who called 911. Cabrera was taken to a police station, where Dombrowski picked him up.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#35 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 10:41 AM

Super disappointing news from Cabrera. He's my favorite Tiger, and I was really happy for him for - what I thought was - turning his life around after that embarrassing end to the 2009 season. This really sucks and I hope that he can put all this stuff behind him for good.

#36 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,226 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 11:13 AM

Embarrassing. I thought Cabby announced he was done with this garbage last year after the fiasco in 2009. He's so incredibly talented on the baseball field, but man what a disaster away from it. I will root for him because he's a Tiger, but otherwise domestic violence and DUI doesn't scream to me Curtis Granderson as a human being.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#37 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 12:15 PM

Embarrassing. I thought Cabby announced he was done with this garbage last year after the fiasco in 2009. He's so incredibly talented on the baseball field, but man what a disaster away from it. I will root for him because he's a Tiger, but otherwise domestic violence and DUI doesn't scream to me Curtis Granderson as a human being.

Yeah, he definitely seems to be struggling with this addiction. Sports Illustrated is reporting that the Tigers will be seeking a doctor and additional counseling for Cabrera.

#38 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 03:02 PM

Posted Image Baaaadddd news here. This is the absolute last thing that we need. People calling into 97.1 requesting we trade him....

I just have to ask and for what???? I understand the guy has had some really bad issues with alcohol and at a pivotal time 2 years ago as well but he is arguably the very best player in the league. You cannot trade him. It's quite simply really. Dombrowski and the Tigers need to work with the Cabrera camp immediately and say, "What are we going to do here to make this work?" We need this guy more than people can imagine. The #'s certainly do not lie and he is a perennial MVP candidate. Time to work all of this out now and get him back on the field and ready for the 2011 season. Our success hinges on this.

#39 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 05:03 PM

Detroit Tigers general manager Dave Dombrowski said late Thursday afternoon that there is much to be decided and investigated in regard to the handling of All-Star first baseman Miguel Cabrera’s arrest and charges of DUI and resisting an officer without violence. He also received a citation for having an open alcohol container in his vehicle.

mlive

Posted Image Honestly, too pissed off for words currently.

#40 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 05:20 PM

Posted Image Baaaadddd news here. This is the absolute last thing that we need. People calling into 97.1 requesting we trade him....

I just have to ask and for what???? I understand the guy has had some really bad issues with alcohol and at a pivotal time 2 years ago as well but he is arguably the very best player in the league. You cannot trade him. It's quite simply really. Dombrowski and the Tigers need to work with the Cabrera camp immediately and say, "What are we going to do here to make this work?" We need this guy more than people can imagine. The #'s certainly do not lie and he is a perennial MVP candidate. Time to work all of this out now and get him back on the field and ready for the 2011 season. Our success hinges on this.

Agreed. I understand people being upset, but it's a knee-jerk reaction. There's only one 1B in all of Major League Baseball who's better than Cabby and that's Albert Pujols. He's the best right handed hitter in the AL, and now that he's got some protection in the line-up he's going to be a complete force.

Having said that, it's really important that he gets his life in order. This is the pivotal moment of the Tigers entire 2011 season, and it hasn't even started yet. If we have to start the year without him so that he can get treatment - then so be it. Illitch has the pockets to rent-a-player for a couple of months. It's crucially important that Cabby put all of this garbage behind him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users