• Please log in to reply
952 replies to this topic

#441 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 10:42 AM

Bless You Boys is reporting that the Tigers are also after a reliever, namely David Pauley. Apparently the deal is shaping up to look like Furbush, Casper Wells, and another - perhaps Duane Below since he's been pulled from today's start.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#442 rwfan007

rwfan007

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 11:36 AM

It is Furbush, Wells, and Francisco Martines (3b prospect) and possibly a player to be named later. In return we get LHP Fister and RHP Pauley. Fister's record is deceiving, he is 3-12 but has gotten nothing for run support this year from the M's. His ERA is 3.33 and is 3-12? Should be a solid #3 or #4 for us. Move Penny down to #5.

Posted Image

Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. - General George S. Patton

#443 shaeb30

shaeb30

Jimmy Howard's Future 3rd String

• Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 11:49 AM

I LOVE this move! Fister has really good numbers outside of his deceiving record... Its hard to win game when you give up 2 or less runs in 6 innings, and your team gets shut out on a regular basis. It's officially Doug Fister and David Pauley for Charlie Furbush, Casper Wells, Fransisco Martinez, and a player to be named later.

#444 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 07:30 PM

Martinez was the biggest piece to this deal and he's expendable because of the play of Nick Castellanos at Single-A West Michigan.

The Indians however, are countering. MLB Trade Rumors and the Denver Post reports that Ubaldo Jimenez will likely be traded to the Indians. We'll see what shakes loose, but everyone knows the Rockies are asking the farm from any team interested. This seems like a bad move for Cleveland long term since they will decimate their top-tier prospect core to get Jimenez.

#445 rwfan007

rwfan007

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 11:12 AM

Really looking forward to Verlander vs Weaver today. Should be a great battle for the Cy-Young.

Posted Image

Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. - General George S. Patton

#446 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 03:18 PM

Really looking forward to Verlander vs Weaver today. Should be a great battle for the Cy-Young.

JV coming out on top in this one. What's crazy is that this is nothing new for Verlander. This is regularity for JV this year.

I didn't watch or listen to it, but saw that Weaver pitched a fit for Magglio making sure his homer was gonna get out. Good for Carlos for putting him over the edge. :yowza: :cool:

#447 rwfan007

rwfan007

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 06:41 PM

Game lived up to the hype, and Weaver threw a hissy fit when Maggs and Guillen smoked him. Right after the Guillen homer, the home plate ump warned both benches because of the chatter between Weaver and the Det bench. Next pitch for Weaver was right at Avila's head, and he was subsequently tossed from the game, once again throwing a hissy fit.

Posted Image

#448 Hockeytown Red Wings

Hockeytown Red Wings

Buckeye & Red Wing fanatic

• Silver Booster
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 11:39 PM

Mad props to Carlos Guillen. That was an awesome "f you" without turning into a little whiner like Weaver.

"During Robert Langís time in Detroit, he caused me anguish. Other times he brought me and my family great joy. Robert Lang occasionally coasts, and spends time searching for the best pane of glass to best view the reflection of his flowing mullet. Other times he is a strong-armed force with the puck. I never knew what to expect from Robert Lang. He is The Enigma. " - A2Y

#449 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,370 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 09:22 AM

Verlander's on top of the world right now.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#450 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:49 AM

"Nobody in the ballpark know if it's going to stay fair or foul," Guillen said. "(Weaver) was yelling, 'Run! Run!' "

Guillen said Weaver shouldn't have said that to a veteran player like OrdoŮez, who hit his fourth home run of the season and 293rd of his career.

Guillen gave Weaver a real reason to feel disrespected after putting the Tigers ahead, 3-0, with the homer. He flipped his bat and skipped a few steps, which infuriated Weaver more.

"I never do that before like that, but I don't like the way he react to Magglio," Guillen said. "He's my teammate. We're a team, you know?"

Per The Freep.

#451 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,413 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 02:57 PM

Today's life lesson: it's alright to spit on an umpire. In some cases, you might even be elected to the BHoF and, if you're realy lucky, they'll retire your number and give your bobblehead doll away, to first 10,000 fans only...sorry.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#452 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 03:35 PM

Today's life lesson: it's alright to spit on an umpire. In some cases, you might even be elected to the BHoF and, if you're realy lucky, they'll retire your number and give your bobblehead doll away, to first 10,000 fans only...sorry.

His career was so much more than that, though. Obviously, it's the first thing that everyone remembers - but he was easily one of the best 2B of the last 30 years.

#453 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 10:17 AM

Indians knock off the Red Sox last night and take a half game on idle Detroit. ESPN is all about the Indians at the moment as if their 1 game post-deadline game indicates how their team will be going forward. ESPN did however reseed their playoff contenders in their SweetSpot blog.

The Tigers jumped 3 spots to number 7, replacing the Milwaulkee Brewers. David Schoenfield had this to say:

7. New: Tigers. Previous: Brewers.
I love what Detroit did, adding Doug Fister and David Pauley to shore up the rotation and add depth to the bullpen. Pauley is a valuable reliever who can pitch more than one inning at a time (heís pitched more than an inning in 14 of his 39 appearances) and will help bridge the gap to Jose Valverde. Fister is unknown outside of the Pacific Northwest and deep fantasy leagues, but heís a solid pitcher who will improve the rotation. Add in the return of Carlos Guillen, the addition of Wilson Betemit and the continued awesomeness of Justin Verlander, and this isnít a team you want to face in a five-game series.

http://espn.go.com/b...yoff-contenders

#454 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,413 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 02:15 PM

I prefer to check the standings.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#455 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 02:51 PM

David Purcey has been designated for assignment. He's out of options, so a team can claim him if they want a terribly inconsistent left-handed reliever. Not sure if he plans to report to Toledo or walk.

#456 Hockeytown Red Wings

Hockeytown Red Wings

Buckeye & Red Wing fanatic

• Silver Booster
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 04:39 PM

Weaver has been suspended 6 games by MLB.

http://espn.go.com/l...mike-scioscia-1

"During Robert Langís time in Detroit, he caused me anguish. Other times he brought me and my family great joy. Robert Lang occasionally coasts, and spends time searching for the best pane of glass to best view the reflection of his flowing mullet. Other times he is a strong-armed force with the puck. I never knew what to expect from Robert Lang. He is The Enigma. " - A2Y

#457 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 04:59 PM

I prefer to check the standings.

Sure it's meaningless in the grand scheme of things, but it's nice to see positive things in the media about our Tigers. I'll happily read a post about how the Tigers are the 3rd best team in the AL after the trade deadline.

6 games probably sounds harsh, but it's the MLB's way of insuring he miss his next start. Article says he'll be appealing it - but I doubt they let him off without missing a start.

#458 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 05:18 PM

Good. He should use that time to make his skin thicker.

#459 rwfan007

rwfan007

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 10:58 PM

A little hairy there at the end, but Boesch pulls us out with a late homer for the win. With a Cleveland walk-off loss today against the Red Sox, the Tigers have a 3 game lead in the Central. I think that is the biggest lead we have had this season. Looking forward to seeing what Fister can do with an offense behind him now.

Posted Image

#460 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 07:45 AM

A little hairy there at the end, but Boesch pulls us out with a late homer for the win. With a Cleveland walk-off loss today against the Red Sox, the Tigers have a 3 game lead in the Central. I think that is the biggest lead we have had this season. Looking forward to seeing what Fister can do with an offense behind him now.

It definitely is, and it's the largest lead any team has had in quite some time. The Yankees beat up on the White Sox to push them 5.5 back.

Somewhat ironic that Benoit earns the victory when he nearly gave the game away, but what a gigantic home run by Boesch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users