• Please log in to reply
952 replies to this topic

#521 rwfan007

rwfan007

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 09:31 PM

I say you play Santiago at 2nd the remainder of the season, trade Raburn for a pack of sunflower seeds, and make Magglio bat-boy. That way we have this:

CF Jackson
RF Boesch
LF Young
1B Cabrera
DH Martinez
SS Peralta
C Avila
2B Santiago
3B Betimit

I will take that into the playoffs at this point.

Posted Image

Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. - General George S. Patton

#522 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,289 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 09:32 PM

I will never understand Jim Leyland. Down a run and he goes to Daniel fricking Schlereth? I'm all for bringing in a lefty against a team with a bunch of them, but how about we use a lefty (Coke or even Below) that can throw strikes and actually get those lefties out? Seems like the Tigers rotate left-handers in and out of that bullpen and all of them have control issues and don't serve their purpose whatsoever. They sent Purcey away to bring his clone back up.

Congrats though to Jim Thome for #600. I dislike him because he has always killed the Tigers, but I have a ton of respect for his character and getting to that number without disgracing baseball like others of his era.

Once again, my hope lies in the man starting tomorrow.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#523 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 10:28 PM

I say you play Santiago at 2nd the remainder of the season, trade Raburn for a pack of sunflower seeds, and make Magglio bat-boy. That way we have this:

CF Jackson
RF Boesch
LF Young
1B Cabrera
DH Martinez
SS Peralta
C Avila
2B Santiago
3B Betimit

I will take that into the playoffs at this point.

I really like that line-up, actually. Even though Betemit is really frustrating me at this point. Santiago is MUCH better in the field than Raburn, even though K-burn's bat is starting to come around (comparatively).

I will never understand Jim Leyland. Down a run and he goes to Daniel fricking Schlereth? I'm all for bringing in a lefty against a team with a bunch of them, but how about we use a lefty (Coke or even Below) that can throw strikes and actually get those lefties out? Seems like the Tigers rotate left-handers in and out of that bullpen and all of them have control issues and don't serve their purpose whatsoever. They sent Purcey away to bring his clone back up.

Congrats though to Jim Thome for #600. I dislike him because he has always killed the Tigers, but I have a ton of respect for his character and getting to that number without disgracing baseball like others of his era.

If****** hate Schlereth, but he had thrown 8 shut out innings until tonight. Regardless, he and Perry can go anywhere else at this point.

Thome is a great ballplayer and it's nice that the Tigers fans in attendance gave him the ovation he deserved.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#524 RockyMountainWingGal

RockyMountainWingGal

RockyMountainWingGal

• HoF Booster
  • 3,810 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 11:51 PM

Seems to be the case every time he starts.....

I cannot watch live - only listen - since I'm out of market - but when the play by play guys start doggin you it's time to go....Rayburn needs to join Inge - painful to hear the plays - watching must really be brutal....
New season, New start! May the force be with the Wings this time!

#525 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 07:20 AM

Posted Image

Pass the liniment, please.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#526 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:34 AM

Seems to be the case every time he starts.....

I cannot watch live - only listen - since I'm out of market - but when the play by play guys start doggin you it's time to go....Rayburn needs to join Inge - painful to hear the plays - watching must really be brutal....

Well the great thing about Dan and Jim is that they don't mix words. Neither one of them are afraid to say a ball has been misplayed or that someone made a mistake. I love listening to it on radio because I think Jim is a great broadcaster, but I've always appreciated their fan-dom as well. Rod is great and all, but listening to he and Mario on TV is a much less enjoyable experience and I've noticed they have a penchant for taking it easy on guys when they screw up.

Regardless, Raburn is a nightmare at this point. Having Dumb & Dumber (Raburn and Betemit) in the infield is actually hurting our team at this point. Giving the lead to Minnesota right after we took it definitely changed the outlook of the game. Especially against a pitcher we could - and should - have buried.

#527 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:18 PM

8/17 lineup vs Twins:

CF Jackson
RF Boesch
LF Young
1B Cabrera
DH Martinez
C Avila
SS Peralta
3B Kelly
2B Santiago

I'm actually pretty happy with this line-up. Give Dumb & Dumber the night off. That 1 - 7 is monstrous, though. There's really no argument up there, though Jackson in the 9 spot turning the order over might be something to think about.

#528 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,289 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:18 PM

Well the great thing about Dan and Jim is that they don't mix words. Neither one of them are afraid to say a ball has been misplayed or that someone made a mistake. I love listening to it on radio because I think Jim is a great broadcaster, but I've always appreciated their fan-dom as well. Rod is great and all, but listening to he and Mario on TV is a much less enjoyable experience and I've noticed they have a penchant for taking it easy on guys when they screw up.

Regardless, Raburn is a nightmare at this point. Having Dumb & Dumber (Raburn and Betemit) in the infield is actually hurting our team at this point. Giving the lead to Minnesota right after we took it definitely changed the outlook of the game. Especially against a pitcher we could - and should - have buried.

Yeah, I agree. One in the infield is bad enough defensively, but both Betemit and Raburn is a disaster. I actually am in the real minority in that I don't mind Raburn. He's a really solid utility player who has hit well lately and is better suited to getting his starts in the outfield. Unfortunately, the Tigers go through second baseman like Leyland does cigarettes and the only real option left to get Raburn playing is back at second base. It is obviously an issue that has to get addressed this off-season. I'm with you guys though - the Tigers are giving up way too much defensively with Raburn at second. The best solution seems to be tell Magglio goodbye and call up Rhymes or Worth to split time with Santiago. I'm fine with Betemit's defense as we knew he was mediocre defensively coming in, but he has provided more than enough with his bat to compensate.

Also, the PTBNL in the Young deal was announced as Oliveros today. Still love the trade; wish Schlereth would have gone instead. Speaking of that, does anyone know who the Mariners got as the PTBNL in the Fister deal? I was on vacation when the trade happened and there was speculation it was going to be Ruffin, but I never saw anything further.

Edited by GoWings1905, 16 August 2011 - 02:21 PM.

#529 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:27 PM

Yeah, I agree. One in the infield is bad enough defensively, but both Betemit and Raburn is a disaster. I actually am in the real minority in that I don't mind Raburn. He's a really solid utility player who has hit well lately and is better suited to getting his starts in the outfield. Unfortunately, the Tigers go through second baseman like Leyland does cigarettes and the only real option left to get Raburn playing is back at second base. It is obviously an issue that has to get addressed this off-season. I'm with you guys though - the Tigers are giving up way too much defensively with Raburn at second. The best solution seems to be tell Magglio goodbye and call up Rhymes or Worth to split time with Santiago. I'm fine with Betemit's defense as we knew he was mediocre defensively coming in, but he has provided more than enough with his bat to compensate.

Also, the PTBNL in the Young deal was announced as Oliveros today. Still love the trade, wish Schlereth would have gone instead. Speaking of that, does anyone who the Mariners got as the PTBNL in the Fister deal? I was on vacation when the trade happened and there was speculation it was going to be Ruffin, but I never saw anything further.

I'd heard that as well, but it doesn't appear that Ruffin has gone anywhere. Seattle has 4 days to name the player, though.

Losing Schlereth would have made the trade an A+ move for me. Problem is no one wants him. I liked Oliveros out of the 'pen, but his numbers are pretty mediocre, so it's not a real loss.

I think Magglio can be effective in his new, part-time role; and any Illitch run team isn't going to show a veteran the door in such a way. Which is good, I think. I agree that Rhymes or Worth needs to come up and get time at 2B, though. All year we were looking for a solid bat in that spot, but now we have solid bats everywhere else. Only a handful of teams are without liabilities at the plate - right now it's important to get some good defense out of our second baseman. If we brought up a speedy 2B we could even run out a line-up like:

1. LF Young
2. 2B Worth
3. RF Boesch
9. CF Jackson

Bless You Boys also proposed perhaps batting Cabrera 3rd so that he actually has the chance to bat early with men on - instead of regularly leading off in the 2nd inning.

Also, I really like Will Rhymes - but he's obviously frustrated and has been sort of running his mouth (albeit rather harmlessly) on Twitter since being sent back down again. He should probably reel it in before it comes back to bite him.

#530 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,289 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:50 PM

Good point on the Tigers not just dumping Maggs. I don't think he deserves that either as I am grateful of everything he has done for the Tigers, but I don't see him having any value left for this season. Even if he pinch-hits against lefties and singles to right, you still have to take him out again for a pinch-runner in close games.

I also never have understood Cabrera batting fourth. Especially with Jackson, random player and Maggs hitting ahead of him like we have seen for stretches the past two years. I would personally prefer to see one of Peralta or Avila hitting in the top two. I never really considered Young batting leadoff, but I actually really like that idea. Just my thought... Young - Avila - Cabrera - Martinez - Boesch - Peralta - Betemit - Worth - Jackson.

Thanks for the info on the Mariners deal. I really hope it doesn't end up being Ruffin; he's going to be a great pitcher.

Edited by GoWings1905, 16 August 2011 - 02:52 PM.

#531 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 04:07 PM

8/17 lineup vs Twins:

CF Jackson
RF Boesch
LF Young
1B Cabrera
DH Martinez
C Avila
SS Peralta
3B Kelly
2B Santiago

I'm actually pretty happy with this line-up. Give Dumb & Dumber the night off. That 1 - 7 is monstrous, though. There's really no argument up there, though Jackson in the 9 spot turning the order over might be something to think about.

I think I'd much prefer Cabby at the 3 spot, but a solid lineup.

Also belated congrats to Thome, I've always liked him as a player even though it seems like he'd never leave the central.

#532 rwfan007

rwfan007

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:42 PM

Santiago at 2b = win
Raburn at 2b = loss

I wonder who to play?

Posted Image

Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. - General George S. Patton

#533 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:36 PM

Santiago at 2b = win
Raburn at 2b = loss

I wonder who to play?

Right?

Seriously, though, solid win. You need to do that to teams that are scuffling, too bad they don't do it often enough as of late.

Regardless, strong win. Here's hoping for another tomorrow.

#534 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,289 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:53 PM

Paws could have played second tonight with Verlander pitching. Seriously though, I think it does make quite a bit of sense to start Santiago based on the pitcher. Porcello and Fister both pitch to a ton of contact. Maybe field a "stronger" defensive line-up those games like tonight with no Raburn or Betemit.

I think Justin gives up a couple singles once in awhile to challenge himself. He just toys with hitters when there are guys on base. I think he really should be in the MVP discussion. He means more to the Tigers than any other single player on a contending team.

#535 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 02:17 AM

18 wins with about 7-8 starts left for Verlander. What a season he's having.

#536 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 12:28 PM

Let's Go Brewers! :D
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#537 rwfan007

rwfan007

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 01:39 PM

Let's see if Penny is up to the task of beating a team he should beat. ChiSox beat Cleveland last night, so we have a 3 game lead over the Indians and a 3.5 lead over the sox. Best case scenario for us is they split the next 2 games.

Posted Image

#538 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 01:42 PM

Let's see if Penny is up to the task of beating a team he should beat. ChiSox beat Cleveland last night, so we have a 3 game lead over the Indians and a 3.5 lead over the sox. Best case scenario for us is they split the next 2 games.

Yeah, here's hoping they even each other out so neither team makes any gains.

The line-up for tonight is as follows:

Dirks CF
Boesch RF
Young LF
Cabrera 1B
Martinez DH
Avila C
Peralta SS
Kelly 3B
Santiago 2B

#539 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 01:47 PM

Let's Go Brewers! :D

Posted Image

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#540 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 04:40 PM

Per our conversation yesterday, Chance Ruffin has been sent to the Mariners to complete the Doug Fister / David Pauley deal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users