"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#942 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,274 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:48 PM

Anyone see Verlander on Conan O'Brian the other night? He confessed that he eats Taco Bell before each start, breakfast of champions.

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#943 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:53 PM

Anyone see Verlander on Conan O'Brian the other night? He confessed that he eats Taco Bell before each start, breakfast of champions.

The night before. So his Breakfast of Champions is stomach aches.

The Tigers agree to contracts with Rick Porcello, Max Scherzer, Don Kelly, and Delmon Young keeing Dave Dombrowski's arbitration 0'fer going. Now that they're out of the way, I'd love to see the Tigers sign someone who didn't wear an Olde English D last season.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#944 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 03:53 PM

And as I type that, word hits that Victor Martinez has torn his ACL and will likely miss the entire 2012 season.

Now I guess they have to sign someone.

#945 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,631 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 04:05 PM

And as I type that, word hits that Victor Martinez has torn his ACL and will likely miss the entire 2012 season.

Now I guess they have to sign someone.

Devastating loss. I'm so bummed about this news right now. I think it's fair to say the Tigers chances of winning the division again just dropped immensely.

The Tigers most glaring weakness just turned into a full-blown disaster without V-Mart. Who the hell protects Cabrera or drives in runs now? This team was already another major hitter short of truly contending IMO. It might really be time for DD to use that abundance of starting pitching prospects to land a big bat in a trade.

V-Mart is my favorite player on the team too. This off-season just went from boring to awful.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#946 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:14 PM

Devastating loss. I'm so bummed about this news right now. I think it's fair to say the Tigers chances of winning the division again just dropped immensely.

The Tigers most glaring weakness just turned into a full-blown disaster without V-Mart. Who the hell protects Cabrera or drives in runs now? This team was already another major hitter short of truly contending IMO. It might really be time for DD to use that abundance of starting pitching prospects to land a big bat in a trade.

V-Mart is my favorite player on the team too. This off-season just went from boring to awful.

Agreed on lots of different levels.

Looking at the free agent market, there isn't much to get excited about. Carlos Pena and Derrek Lee are both available who could platoon at 1B/DH with Cabrera but neither have crazy good numbers. That said, both of them were on pretty horrible teams for most of the year.

Maybe something like:

Jackson
Boesch
Young
Cabrera
Lee/Pena
Avila
Peralta
Inge
Raburn/Santiago

There is talk that Victor could be back before the year ends, but that would obviously be a bonus and isn't something to rely on. If that were to happen, maybe we can move Lee or Pena to 3B? Who knows. The 3 names below Jhonny's worry me immensely.

#947 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,631 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:22 AM

Pena is probably my favorite option for a short-term fix. I still think if DD goes the free agent route for a DH type replacement for V-Mart, he really needs to explore trades for a third baseman or left fielder. Delmon Young's defense terrifies me in left field, not to mention I don't think his bat is anywhere near as good as the one we saw in the playoffs spread out over 162 games.

Another issue is how likely Peralta and Avila are to regress this season. Throw in Jackson's struggles, Boesch's healthy and no production offensively from third base and there are question marks everywhere in the lineup. Cabrera and Martinez together were the two certainties of production.

The positive spin is I still believe the Tigers can and probably should win the division mostly because of their starting rotation. Beyond the mediocre competition in the Central though, the Tigers are maybe the sixth best team in the AL. I feel like I got punched in the gut today. Being a Tigers fan sucks most of the time.

#948 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:11 PM

Posted Image

#949 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,631 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 10:11 PM

If the Rangers get Fielder which seems pretty likely, the AL has some really good teams. Yankees rotation is significantly better, the Red Sox are still very talented, Rays have strong pitching and then both the Angels and Rangers had huge off-seasons.

Even with V-Mart, that's some tough competition.

#950 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 10:16 PM

Pena is probably my favorite option for a short-term fix. I still think if DD goes the free agent route for a DH type replacement for V-Mart, he really needs to explore trades for a third baseman or left fielder. Delmon Young's defense terrifies me in left field, not to mention I don't think his bat is anywhere near as good as the one we saw in the playoffs spread out over 162 games.

Another issue is how likely Peralta and Avila are to regress this season. Throw in Jackson's struggles, Boesch's healthy and no production offensively from third base and there are question marks everywhere in the lineup. Cabrera and Martinez together were the two certainties of production.

The positive spin is I still believe the Tigers can and probably should win the division mostly because of their starting rotation. Beyond the mediocre competition in the Central though, the Tigers are maybe the sixth best team in the AL. I feel like I got punched in the gut today. Being a Tigers fan sucks most of the time.

Today I crafted my 'perfect world' scenario and it plays out like this:

Sign Yoenis Cespedes and put him in LF where Delmon Young would play. Move Delmon to DH and keep him in his spot in the order.

Then (begin fantasy), trade Drew Smyly, Avisial Garcia, and whoever else to the rebuilding Cubs for Matt Garza and Alfonso Soriano. Garza would bolster the rotation in a major way and Soriano - who has plenty of 2B experience in his career - can protect Cabrera in the line-up without creating a logjam if Victor Martinez can return this season. Obviously, Soriano is not the 2B of old and has been playing OF for many years, but he's certainly better all-around than anyone who would play the position regularly. It will also lessen the need for a bat at 3B.

The only issue with Soriano is that it's feast or famine. His BA and OBP were low (.244 / .289), but he also hit 26 doubles, 27 home runs, and batted in 88 runs on a team that was, for lack of a better term, terrible.

I know it's a total pipe dream but I'd love the Tigers to field this on Opening Day:

CF Jackson
LF Boesch
DH Young
1B Cabrera
2B Soriano
SS Peralta
C Avila
RF Cespedes
3B Inge

Depending on numbers, Cespedes could also lead off and the Tigers could bat Jackson 9th to roll the order over.

and our rotation would be

Verlander
Fister
Garza
Scherzer
Porcello

Just hand over that AL Central title.

#951 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:33 AM

Oops.

Edited by cusimano_brothers, 06 February 2012 - 01:12 PM.

#952 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:42 PM

Posted Image

Cheetah!

Those who called Braunie a cheater can now enjoy their crow. Vindicated!

Braun Wins 50-Game Suspension Appeal
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#953 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:10 AM

The moment I heard the news last night, I knew it was my place to revive this thread and display my disgust.  I have zero sympathy for Braun and despise him and his actions.  The thing that bothers me more than juicing itself is vehemently lying about it and ruining innocent people's lives (I.E. the sample collector) along the way.  Have the stones to admit it when you get caught or better yet, don't do it in the first place.

F*ck you, Braun.

Regards,

A Brewers Fan

It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users