• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HankthaTank

2011 MLB Season Thread

Rate this topic

Well, we see flashes of it from him and it seems he has been hitting the cages because if he can't play any sort of Major League defense behind the dish, he better hit. Great night Alex, I am still not sold on one outburst though.

Opening Day tomorrow! 50 degrees and rain!!!!! beerchug.gif even more then

Well, we see flashes of it from him and it seems he has been hitting the cages because if he can't play any sort of Major League defense behind the dish, he better hit. Great night Alex, I am still not sold on one outburst though.

Opening Day tomorrow! 50 degrees and rain!!!!! beerchug.gif even more then

Oh no, not hardly. Nice to know he can swing the bat at all, though, haha. That's the kind of offensive production this team should be able to deliver every day, obviously it won't happen - but it needs to occur more often than it is currently.

edit: I'll be in attendance on Saturday! Heading to the D early to knock a few back beforehand. Any recommendations? I was thinking of going to the Detroiter.

Edited by Travis

edit: I'll be in attendance on Saturday! Heading to the D early to knock a few back beforehand. Any recommendations? I was thinking of going to the Detroiter.

Old Shillelagh is great. Old green bar in Greektown. Weather is supposed to be much better for that one so the tent on the roof shall be a prime place.

Booyah, what a great opening day.

A. Tigers opener is like a second Christmas in Michigan.

B. Tribute to Sparky was very well done.

C. Retiring Sparky's #11.

D. V-Mart earns his home stripes. and

E. TIGERS WIN!

manny-ramirez-DodgersSI.jpg

Going down in a blaze like we all expected him to.

Tough loss for the Tigs today, Coke pitched great after that early trouble. Retired 13 in a row at one point. This team needs to be able to put enough runs across the plate to win games like these. Great time none-the-less, even if it was way colder than I had anticipated. So much for the mid-50's, haha.

Here is the lineup today per yahoo (A Jack getting the day off? hmm):

W. Rhymes 2b

B. Boesch lf

M. Ordonez rf

M. Cabrera 1b

V. Martinez dh

D. Kelly cf

J. Peralta ss

A. Avila c

B. Inge 3b

Jackson got the day off because he's hitting below the Mendoza line. He spent the morning working on his batting stance and pitch selection.

The Tigers are bumming me out. There is no reason this team should be 3-7 right now, especially given the solid outings they've been getting from the pitching staff lately. That was supposed to be our weak point, not run support. I went to the game Saturday and was actually watching Bruce Chen's ERA drop with each batter. Unreal. Bruce Chen sucks and the Tigs made him look like an absolute ace.

I think Jim Leyland is a joke! WHAT is the deal with giving our starters days off for "rest" already!?!?!? Austin Jackson needs to pick it up a couple notches. Magglio can hopefully stay healthy. Leyland needs to figure out what Phil Coke's capacity with the team is... either a starter or coming out of the bullpen. If only Justin Verlander could pitch everyday....!!! When i look at their roster I could see 90 wins, but the guys need to show up! Cabby cant do it ALL by himself! Martinez is doing well for himself... I just wish he was catching over Avila. My ideal lineup for this team would be:

Jackson (CF)

Rhymes (2B)

Ordonez (DH)

Cabrera (1B)

Martinez ©

Boesch (RF)

Raburn (LF)

Peralta (SS)

Inge (3B)

With Casper Wells being the first to come off the bench. I dont think it would hurt for Avila to get more time in AAA with Toledo... Inge and even Raburn can fill in at catcher in a pinch.

As for the pitching, Verlander is a stud, and could very well win the Cy this year. I like Scherzer... he is really filling out as a dependable #2. Porcello could be good too if he could figure out some consistency. I am very convinced that Brad Penny will not be successful in Detroit, but i DO like Phil Coke as the #5 starter. The bullpen is ok as well, with Perry, Benoit, Gonzalez, and the biggest surprise on the team, Villareal. As for Valverde as the closer, he is the real deal. The names I figure we can see to be called up at some point this year are Fu-Te Ni, Scott Sizemore, and maybe even Timo Perez.

Magglio is 'resting' because he's having problems with his surgically repaired ankle, Jackson got time off because he needed to fix his swing, ideally Boesch only sees right handed pitching; and it's a marathon not a sprint.

If Inge fills in at C, whose going to play 3B?

Everyone needs to remember that Avila is only 23 years old. Every player needs to start somewhere, and Avila is just learning how to play in the big leagues. We have a good enough lineup where Avila can learn how to hit at the bottom of the order as well as manage an entire pitching staff over a full big league season. Coke has really impressed me in his first two starts this season, lets hope he keeps it up. Don't have any judgment on Penny yet, he looked alright in his last start, but, like everyone else, he got shelled against the Yankees. Jury is still out on him.