• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
daniel1

2nd line center trade *idea*

Rate this topic

The Sens are a mess, they need to dump the old guys, get younger and start over. We need a second line center that can play both ways and score too. Alfie is a Swede, obviously, and would fit in here like a fat kid on an ice cream island. He's signed for a VERY reasonable 4.875m until 2012/2013 so basically we get him for 2 1/2 years, or 3 years of playoffs. Alfie is 38 and is in the twilight of his career but he's still a very determined, effective two-way player. I would love to see him with Franzen and Cleary or Bertuzzi, Flip takes over the 3rd line center spot (which he's more suited to anyway) and Helm anchors the 4th line. I doubt Modano returns, and if he does, great, then he plays on the third line with Flip and Cleary and Abby goes down to the fourth and takes Miller's spot. If we do it late enough in the season we can swap Kindl and Hudler's salary (2.875+.88) for Alfie's and it's almost a wash. We still have Janik and Smith if we need to call up another body on the blue line.

The trade:

To Ottawa - Hudler, Kindl, Mursak and our 1st round pick this year.

To Detroit - Alfredsson and Ottawa's 2nd round pick this year.

Some trades start out as an idea, then as a rumor, then as a proposal. I'm hoping this starts the process and we see another classy, skilled Swede finish his career here with a couple Cups.

Z-Dats-Homer

Franzen-Alfie-Bertuzzi

Cleary-Filppula-Abdelkader

Eaves-Helm-Miller/Draper

Lids-Stuart

Rafi-Ericcson

Kronwal-Salei

Janik

C'mon Kenny, make it happen! Would you do it?

It'd be a great trade for this year. But both teams wouldn't do it.

Alfredsson has one, maybe two years left. Kindl, Hudler, Mursak each have 10-15 years left in the NHL, and they will all be impact players.

Alfredsson is the Sens. No way they trade him.

Overall: Terrible Trade.

You are on crack. Alfredsson might be worth ONE of those assets to Detroit. He sure as hell isn't worth all of them. If we're trading with the 2000 Sens to get a 28-year old Alfie and a 21-year old Hossa, then I'm all for it.

It's a high-risk trade in that one of the traded Wings is bound to be an impact player, whereas Alfredsson is likely to slow down. There is something about the Red Wings system that brings out the best in players, particularly young players who are falling off track. I don't know if you could bring an experienced leader into a room of experienced leaders and expect him to get his head back in the game of hockey all over again. If I were him, I would prefer to finish my career in Ottawa. Finally, his team has struggled in the playoffs lately, and I attribute that partly to him. It seems that as Alfredsson goes, so his team goes, and in several of the playoff games he lost to Pittsburgh, he had a minus rating.

The Wings are as strong a playoff team as ever (well, maybe not ever), and I don't think trading parts of the future lineup will make enough of a difference to merit the trade. You could say you're trading a potential series-winning goal by Alfredsson for a series-winning goal in several years by Hudler or Mursak (or yes, even Kindl).

EDIT: I'm surprised Filppula survived a trade proposal, though.

Edited by Earthhuman

Remind me again why Detroit needs to burn assets to get a second line center when they already have one, plus two possible first line/1A/1B centers?

If you go based on the top 180 scoring forwards in the NHL, the Wings have four regular forwards who have played primarily center this season who are within that range; Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Filppula, and Helm (yes, Helm.) If you add natural centers who play the wing, you have Franzen. If you consider the amount of time per game a second line center plays, and adjust for games played, the Wings can also add in Modano and Hudler.

I don't think it's necessary to go searching for a second line center outside of the organization. If you want to put Dats and Z together, then you have the option of Franzen, Filppula, Helm, or Hudler (Modano being injured, of course) as a bona fide second line center. Flip is the natural choice as the best two-way player on the list. Detroit only has had six natural wingers skate this season; Holmstrom, Cleary, Eaves, Bertuzzi, Miller, and Mursak. This is compared to 11 natural centers.

A fully healthy roster could feature any of these options (and more) as good 2/3 lines:

Franzen/Filppula/Hudler

Cleary/Helm/Bertuzzi

Franzen/Filppula/Bertuzzi

Cleary/Helm/Hudler

Cleary/Filppula/Franzen

Bertuzzi/Hudler/Eaves

Hudler/Franzen/Bertuzzi

Cleary/Filppula/Eaves

The Sens are a mess, they need to dump the old guys, get younger and start over. We need a second line center that can play both ways and score too. Alfie is a Swede, obviously, and would fit in here like a fat kid on an ice cream island. He's signed for a VERY reasonable 4.875m until 2012/2013 so basically we get him for 2 1/2 years, or 3 years of playoffs. Alfie is 38 and is in the twilight of his career but he's still a very determined, effective two-way player. I would love to see him with Franzen and Cleary or Bertuzzi, Flip takes over the 3rd line center spot (which he's more suited to anyway) and Helm anchors the 4th line. I doubt Modano returns, and if he does, great, then he plays on the third line with Flip and Cleary and Abby goes down to the fourth and takes Miller's spot. If we do it late enough in the season we can swap Kindl and Hudler's salary (2.875+.88) for Alfie's and it's almost a wash. We still have Janik and Smith if we need to call up another body on the blue line.

The trade:

Some trades start out as an idea, then as a rumor, then as a proposal. I'm hoping this starts the process and we see another classy, skilled Swede finish his career here with a couple Cups.

Z-Dats-Homer

Franzen-Alfie-Bertuzzi

Cleary-Filppula-Abdelkader

Eaves-Helm-Miller/Draper

Lids-Stuart

Rafi-Ericcson

Kronwal-Salei

Janik

C'mon Kenny, make it happen! Would you do it?

Hate to burst your bubble but even with Modano not returning in your scenario we are 156k over the cap after the deal. If we are going to give up those kind of assets I'd like to see someone much younger coming over. The Wings don't trade roster players at the deadline as a rule. It doesn't seem viable.