Photo
- - - - -

1/14 GDT: Red Wings 2 at Blue Jackets 3 (SO)

• Please log in to reply
590 replies to this topic

#541 I Red Wings I

I Red Wings I

Holy mackerel!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:08 PM

Maybe pull in a random guy like Phoenix did.

He came in as a backup I thought...I mean in game

Edited by I Red Wings I, 14 January 2011 - 10:08 PM.

#542 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,331 posts

Didn't get home in time to catch the end. At least they pulled out a point after going down by two early. Was it a matter of them not showing up for the opening face-off or were the goals against flukey? It's great they have the conditioning to outskate teams in the bird but it'd be so much better IMHO if they'd just get ahead then keep he pedal to the metal until the closing buzzer.

The injury epidemic is getting old quick. What happened with Homer?

Detroit Wings official twitter says Homer has a broken hand

#543 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,058 posts

Cant ask for much more then perfect in regulation and the 1st 3 shooters in the shootout. Joeys been great in relief this year.

#NOMOREKINDL

#544 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,331 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:09 PM

It'll be weeks at most, I wouldn't worry. And there's no point having him on the bench if he continues to play as he has. His game is falling apart and his head is a mess. He needs to get that straight or his career is going to be toast. I don't think anyone wants to see that.

Funny how much you know how Howard feels and how his head is a mess.

#545 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:10 PM

Time to call Sauce back up again.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#546 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,144 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:10 PM

It is not at all a blessing when we have pretty much no one to lean on if Joey goes down. And really he has been nothing but a career backup and hasn't shown much. I am all for a good story for this season too like a Joey Mac coming out of the depths and playing some stellar goalie but to think that losing Jimmy (with Ozzie shelved til like March) is just nuts.

We'll worry about that when Joey goes down. Until then, he's been better than fine and while he'll no doubt show signs of his "career backup" status soon enough, all he has to do is not implode and we'll be fine down the stretch. Again, it's not like Howard's giving us any help at all these days. I truly believe time off could very well give him the mental break he needs to get his game back together, and we need that far more down the stretch than anything. Who cares if he comes back now and continues to struggle? What good is that for us?
-Elliot...does not panic.

#547 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:13 PM

We'll worry about that when Joey goes down. Until then, he's been better than fine and while he'll no doubt show signs of his "career backup" status soon enough, all he has to do is not implode and we'll be fine down the stretch. Again, it's not like Howard's giving us any help at all these days. I truly believe time off could very well give him the mental break he needs to get his game back together, and we need that far more down the stretch than anything. Who cares if he comes back now and continues to struggle? What good is that for us?

This is about as bad as it gets for us right now. I am not ready to have to lean on Joey Mac to be THE guy. Oh well, I guess that is why I am a poster on a forum and not a talent scout. Jimmy being hurt to clear his head is probably not a good thing regardless of how we feel his "mental" status is.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#548 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:13 PM

iFlip maybe this time?

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#549 Miss Wing Queen

Miss Wing Queen

Hockeytown's Helmetless Hero

• PipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:14 PM

Modano: Arm

Datsyuk: Hand

Cleary: Ankle

Stuart: Jaw

Osgood: Groin

Howard: Knee

Holmstrom: Wrist

:crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:
:crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:

#550 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

He came in as a backup I thought...I mean in game

He did, I was just replying in jest.

#551 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,144 posts

Funny how much you know how Howard feels and how his head is a mess.

Do you have a better explanation for the utter implosion to his game that we've witnessed over the course of this season? Does he really look like a confident, poised goalie out there to you?

He's taking every goal that's not even his fault way too hard and it's no doubt a big reason why he's been so prone to give up goals in 2's, 3's and 4's lately in just a period. Snowball effect. Those are signs of a sloppy mental game.

Again, do you have a better explanation, or do you want to try to explain why he's not playing dramatically worse than he did last year, despite having even less help from the rest of the team last year?

#552 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:20 PM

And here comes the blame game. This ought to be good.

:confused1: :stop:

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#553 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:22 PM

This is about as bad as it gets for us right now. I am not ready to have to lean on Joey Mac to be THE guy. Oh well, I guess that is why I am a poster on a forum and not a talent scout. Jimmy being hurt to clear his head is probably not a good thing regardless of how we feel his "mental" status is.

It just sucks that both our goalies have to be out. I mean you know it's going to happen with the skaters but when netminding tandem are both out, plus Stuart being out, it really hurts us down the stretch. Here's hoping Joey can keep his recent play up, we really can't afford to be digging deeper for netminders.

#554 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,144 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:22 PM

I certainly don't like it either; it's hardly ideal. But let's be clear: Joey Mac is not THE guy. He's THE backup to the backup. That's why he can go out there and play well; no pressure. Half the battle of being a starter is having the mental strength to handle the pressure, and he knows that in a million years, he will never be the starter on this team, so he can just go out and have fun and play. It'll work for awhile.

But hell, I'm dreading all the jokers who will want to go all "Legace" with MacDonald before too long as well. I'm not at all looking to prop Joey Mac into something more than he is, but he's started off strong and we've got to role with it so long as Howard's out. With Howard being out, we have to look at the bright side, that being that it will give him some time away from the pressure. That'll help him relax. When he gets back, he'll just be excited to get out there and play again. He needs that more than anyone right now. That's why I'm not upset.

I really have faith in this teams ability to stay in games and stay in the playoff hunt no matter what befalls them, so whatever happens in between only needs to set up what happens come playoff time. Osgood getting surgery to eliminate the issue and Howard getting a break to get his head straight are things that will benefit us in April more than them playing through the issues now only to have them utterly and completely implode once the real pinch comes around.

If you think long term, this crap in January and February just isn't the end of the world. We just need to stay in the hunt and ensure that we're ready when it really matters.

#555 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:25 PM

I really did enjoy this forum a lot more before the '08 Cup win. Since then, people have kicked the entitlement complexes into an even higher gear. It makes me feel sorry for the team.

As far as I'm concerned even though you may think you're sincere in your motivation, you come off as a condescending know-it-all. You.will.not.ever.be.able.to.fix.anybody.here.but.yourself.

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#556 TheXym

TheXym

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,580 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:27 PM

That sucks about Homer's hand. Not what the Wings needed.
It's pronounced "Zim" not "Exim". Aw heck with it, just call me Scott.

#557 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:28 PM

Great Homer now has a broken hand. Another one bites the dust :scared: :(

What?! Seriously??!! I had not heard that. Oh, I hope you're exaggerating. :(

#558 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,331 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:29 PM

Do you have a better explanation for the utter implosion to his game that we've witnessed over the course of this season? Does he really look like a confident, poised goalie out there to you?

He's taking every goal that's not even his fault way too hard and it's no doubt a big reason why he's been so prone to give up goals in 2's, 3's and 4's lately in just a period. Snowball effect. Those are signs of a sloppy mental game.

Again, do you have a better explanation, or do you want to try to explain why he's not playing dramatically worse than he did last year, despite having even less help from the rest of the team last year?

No I don't have an explanation. But your posts indicate that you KNOW how Jimmy feels and what's going on in his head that's all.

#559 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:30 PM

OH s***. What next?!

#560 Miss Wing Queen

Miss Wing Queen

Hockeytown's Helmetless Hero

• PipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:37 PM

OH s***. What next?!

"Ken Holland takes temporary personal leave for three weeks to deal with an acute onset of panic attacks. Symptoms began after Holland began planning who his backup to goaltender MacDonald who be, and after he realized he himself was next on the call-up list."

Edited by Miss Wing Queen, 14 January 2011 - 10:37 PM.