Photo
- - - - -

1/14 GDT: Red Wings 2 at Blue Jackets 3 (SO)

• Please log in to reply
590 replies to this topic

#561 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:38 PM

I certainly don't like it either; it's hardly ideal. But let's be clear: Joey Mac is not THE guy. He's THE backup to the backup.

It is clear. But it would appear right now that he is THE guy. Terrifying. And that is something I want to be wrong about. Jimmy has been a sieve and it looks like at times that "mentally" he is rattled quite easily but again, injuries are not how I want these guys to clear their heads. Joey Mac will just have to get it done here in the coming weeks it would appear. No more no less.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#562 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,332 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:38 PM

No I don't have an explanation. But your posts indicate that you KNOW how Jimmy feels and what's going on in his head that's all.

It's irrelevant.

Jimmy needs to get his mental issues back on track, because it is costing Detroit games now.

Posted Image

#563 Stolberg

Stolberg

you call that blowing?!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:44 PM

LOL.

Zetterberg?! 524 points in 549 games Zetterberg?! :rolleyes: :thumbdown:

Yah, Mule is too streaky.

talking about the shootout

someone who isn't a complete dips*** could probably make the connection

#564 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,891 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:45 PM

No I don't have an explanation. But your posts indicate that you KNOW how Jimmy feels and what's going on in his head that's all.

Some things are obvious. And he has alluded numerous times to being frustrated in post-games. And if he can get out a "It sucks..." in post-game interviews when he's more often than not just reciting lines, imagine how he really must be feeling. Again, you can see it in his face as well. Mentally, he absolutely looks like a different goalie this year than he did last year.
-Elliot...does not panic.

#565 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:48 PM

"Ken Holland takes temporary personal leave for three weeks to deal with an acute onset of panic attacks. Symptoms began after Holland began planning who his backup to goaltender MacDonald who be, and after he realized he himself was next on the call-up list."

:lol: :unsure: :crybaby:

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#566 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:49 PM

Ever since Mindfly disappeared, the Wings are 0-1...

0-1-1 now.

#567 I Red Wings I

I Red Wings I

Holy mackerel!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:53 PM

Bedard?

It would have to be a player. Got me thinking, so I looked anyway. Bedard's NHL statistics total 73 games played with a 17-40-13 record, one shutout and a 3.94 GAA.

#568 ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:59 PM

[quote name='Miss Wing Queen' date='14 January 2011 - 10:14 PM' timestamp='1295061261' post='2097730']
Modano: Arm

Datsyuk: Hand

Cleary: Ankle

Stuart: Jaw

Osgood: Groin

Howard: Knee

Holmstrom: Wrist

after reading this i now wanna play the game "Operation" :ph34r:

#569 Miss Wing Queen

Miss Wing Queen

Hockeytown's Helmetless Hero

• PipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 11:05 PM

Or break into song: "Head, shoulders, knees, and toes. Knees and toes!"

#570 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 11:08 PM

Modano: Arm

Datsyuk: Hand

Cleary: Ankle

Stuart: Jaw

Osgood: Groin

Howard: Knee

Holmstrom: Wrist

Now thats funny!...Though Im scared a little too....For christ sakes I said I wanted to see McCollum play a few games not injury JImmyf****** HowardPosted Image

Edited by 13dangledangle, 14 January 2011 - 11:09 PM.

....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#571 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,370 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 11:15 PM

Final score and recap now in OP.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#572 ben_usmc

ben_usmc

Kenny Powers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,791 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 11:40 PM

Kindl looked pretty damn good tonight. Hopefully with Jimmy's injury he can get his head right as well, comeback healthy, rested, and ready to kick some ass
There's no I in team, but there's a U in c***, so don't be little jealous c***s

#573 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 12:42 AM

I can't really complain about their play. Columbus got a lucky bounce off the backboards, a cheesy 5-on-3 thanks to Exploding Stick Syndrome. The Wings played well and dominated in the third, but couldn't score; them's the breaks. And after having the unusual fortune of winning two shootouts in a row, it's no wonder they blew it this time around.
"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#574 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,256 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 01:17 AM

I certainly don't like it either; it's hardly ideal. But let's be clear: Joey Mac is not THE guy. He's THE backup to the backup. That's why he can go out there and play well; no pressure. Half the battle of being a starter is having the mental strength to handle the pressure, and he knows that in a million years, he will never be the starter on this team, so he can just go out and have fun and play. It'll work for awhile.

But hell, I'm dreading all the jokers who will want to go all "Legace" with MacDonald before too long as well. I'm not at all looking to prop Joey Mac into something more than he is, but he's started off strong and we've got to role with it so long as Howard's out. With Howard being out, we have to look at the bright side, that being that it will give him some time away from the pressure. That'll help him relax. When he gets back, he'll just be excited to get out there and play again. He needs that more than anyone right now. That's why I'm not upset.

I really have faith in this teams ability to stay in games and stay in the playoff hunt no matter what befalls them, so whatever happens in between only needs to set up what happens come playoff time. Osgood getting surgery to eliminate the issue and Howard getting a break to get his head straight are things that will benefit us in April more than them playing through the issues now only to have them utterly and completely implode once the real pinch comes around.

If you think long term, this crap in January and February just isn't the end of the world. We just need to stay in the hunt and ensure that we're ready when it really matters.

Nobody is calling for MacDonald to be THE GUY for the playoffs. But it's not the end of the world to have him in net. Howard was averaging something like 4 goals a game for the last month and a half. You can't get much worse than that. Howard IS a mess, his positioning is terrible and his attitude has been terrible, too. He's letting his play get to him. And even sitting on the bench he's "owed" so many starts which will only snowball out of control. He's playing with no confidence, he's lost his confidence in his positioning and is laying on the ice way too often. He's got work to do to re-tool his game. I don't think anyone is giving up on him, instead we're just calling for a reality check: he can't fix his game WHILE he plays. At least while he's injured he can clear his head if he can't actually practice. Would give him a fresh start and let his passions cool.

Obviously it's not ideal that he's out but playing him even every other game is way too often right now.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#575 skyphoenix

skyphoenix

JIMMEH

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 03:37 AM

Franzen is beyond frustrating this season.

Posted Image

#576 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 06:30 AM

:D
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#577 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,102 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 11:05 AM

Some of the loss was the Wing's own ignorance by not getting their stuff together at game time, like usual. But at the same time, Mason came up huge on more than one save which was the difference in the game.
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#578 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 11:13 AM

Franzen is beyond frustrating this season.

Agreed. He started out well last night. He was actually shooting the puck at the net instead of trying to pass it at impossible angles. But then he seemed to revert back to his ol' pass-happy self.

Then again, I didn't think Filppula looked all that good, while other posters were raving about him. I can't remember a time when he actually held on to the puck through the neutral zone, at least through the first period or two.

Whadevah! :cool:

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#579 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,102 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 11:18 AM

Good point...

Flip and Johan have been somewhat quiet, even though Flip had the assist on the 2nd goal too (if that is right?)

Now Bertz on the other hand, the man battled for the puck and it led to the 2nd goal
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#580 Joey v3.4

Joey v3.4

Stoned

• Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 11:36 AM

Good point...

Flip and Johan have been somewhat quiet, even though Flip had the assist on the 2nd goal too (if that is right?)

Now Bertz on the other hand, the man battled for the puck and it led to the 2nd goal

It amazes me how incredible, and how invisible Bert can become from one game to the next. He's like a ninja. One game he's all over the place, winning battles, taking shots, making chances. The next game he'll slip into the shadows, leaving us nothing but wonder at when he's going to emerge again.

Flip is like the Little Engine That Could, sometimes. Sometimes he gets up the hill and does nice things with the puck, other times he poops out and has to try another game. But it seems like for the most part he does try to bring something every game. I get the strange feeling Flip is going to be valuable this year in the playoffs though.
And Boom goes the Dynamite.