• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 I Red Wings I

I Red Wings I

Holy mackerel!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 01:41 AM

I'm curious to see if anyone watches San Jose and explain...what is going on with the Sharks? As of last night, they have just two wins in their last ten games. Over this span, six of their last ten losses have come at home, and they have been shutout three times. They have allowed thirty-one goals (3.1 avg) against and have scored only seventeen goals (1.7 avg). As of right now, they sit twelfth in the West and fourth in the Pacific. I understand that there's a lot of games to be played and the standings are tight. In the past few seasons, it seems like they were always up top. Something just doesn't seem right. Coaching? Goal tending? Or just lack of confidence?

#2 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 01:47 AM

I'm curious to see if anyone watches San Jose and explain...what is going on with the Sharks? As of last night, they have just two wins in their last ten games. Over this span, six of their last ten losses have come at home, and they have been shutout three times. They have allowed thirty-one goals (3.1 avg) against and have scored only seventeen goals (1.7 avg). As of right now, they sit twelfth in the West and fourth in the Pacific. I understand that there's a lot of games to be played and the standings are tight. In the past few seasons, it seems like they were always up top. Something just doesn't seem right. Coaching? Goal tending? Or just lack of confidence?

I'd be happy to see the Sharks have a terrible season. After watching how much he allowed (or encouraged) his players to dive last playoff year, I'd also be perfectly content to see McLellan fail and get fired in the future.

Edited by Crymson, 14 January 2011 - 01:47 AM.

#3 Howard He Do It?!

Howard He Do It?!

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 01:53 AM

I'd be happy to see the Sharks have a terrible season. After watching how much he allowed (or encouraged) his players to dive last playoff year, I'd also be perfectly content to see McLellan fail and get fired in the future.

And then come back to coach the Wings' defense. :hehe:

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Round 1: Red Wings (4) vs. Coyotes (0)
Round 2: Red Wings (0) vs. Sharks (0)

#4 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:11 AM

Supafly and company will surely chime in on this one. They seem to have a good balance of objectivity and homerism. I look forward to what they have to say on the matter.

#5 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 03:55 AM

I have not watched them myself but looking at stats, pay raises, and player history I think the blame is right on the players. Marleau is having a down year and with his reputation it should be no surprise. Also Heatly looks to have come down with another case of the f***its which might be contagious as Pavelski looks to have come down with it as well after the contract signing.

Their PK is doing worse this season as well.

Edited by dragonballgtz, 14 January 2011 - 04:51 PM.

#6 BigWillieStyle

BigWillieStyle

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 04:47 AM

No Blake. No Nabokov. No replacements for them. Add in, that none of their "core" players are in a contract year. Sounds like a recipe for their lack of success to me.

#7 Shady Ultima

Shady Ultima

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 05:01 AM

They decided they didn't need an expensive goaltender, because we win without one, and Chicago/Philly went far last year with cheap goalies.

They somehow didn't realize that Chicago (last year), Philly, and of course, Detroit, all have(had) phenomenal defense corps. They don't really have any one on their blue line to talk of.

#8 soultrain

soultrain

hairdresser of the sharts

• Bronze Booster
  • 805 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 05:04 AM

i went to the sharks game tonight. They take weak shots, they don't sustain pressure, the forwards haven't really clicked, weak defense, they give up bad bad chances, and the goalies are both play like the back up ...theu don't play as a solid unit....and everything else mentioned above in other comments is also true.

you will get your wish soon enough

#9 Din758

Din758

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 08:01 AM

No Blake. No Nabokov. No replacements for them. Add in, that none of their "core" players are in a contract year. Sounds like a recipe for their lack of success to me.

I think their lack of goaltending is a huge problem. Nittimaki and Niemi both are nowhere as good as Nobokov. The only reason anybody believes Niemi is good is because he had that ridiculous team in front of him last year. Hes SO overrated.

Im also with Crymson, glad to see the sharks, and choke-show Joe struggle.
Crosby is a crybaby *****

#10 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,943 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 08:36 AM

I'm not surprised the Sharks are having a bad season. You would think after all those playoff disappointments, it would finally get to them physically and mentally.

Serves them right after all that diving they did last year against us. I was completely disgusted with their play, and have no sympathy for what their going through right now.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#11 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,912 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 09:39 AM

I think their lack of goaltending is a huge problem. Nittimaki and Niemi both are nowhere as good as Nobokov. The only reason anybody believes Niemi is good is because he had that ridiculous team in front of him last year. Hes SO overrated.

Im also with Crymson, glad to see the sharks, and choke-show Joe struggle.

Niemi has struggled this season, I saw him basically as a charity off-season signing.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#12 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 09:45 AM

Setoguchi and Pavelski have 16 goals combined this year. I bet they were hoping for that total each by this point. Marleau is a -19 right now, worst on the team.

And Joe Thornton as captain was never a good idea.

"We did lose 10 of 11 (in Detroit, the year the Wings won the Cup) and came back, but it was a little bit different, to tell you the truth. There were guys that were coming to the rink prepared, ready to sacrifice, and their minds were clear, and they knew what the game plan was. Tonight, we didn't have that from enough people."

—Sharks coach Todd McLellan.

#13 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,769 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 09:46 AM

It's because Bombay keeps telling District 5 to dive. They've got no heart!

But seriously, it's hard to gut stuff out when you just make excuses and play with no passion. Thornton's not about to start firing up anyone on the team. You need to lead by example, and he doesn't know how to.

#14 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,912 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:11 AM

Setoguchi and Pavelski have 16 goals combined this year. I bet they were hoping for that total each by this point. Marleau is a -19 right now, worst on the team.

And Joe Thornton as captain was never a good idea.

"We did lose 10 of 11 (in Detroit, the year the Wings won the Cup) and came back, but it was a little bit different, to tell you the truth. There were guys that were coming to the rink prepared, ready to sacrifice, and their minds were clear, and they knew what the game plan was. Tonight, we didn't have that from enough people."

—Sharks coach Todd McLellan.

That's a call-out if ever there was one.

"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#15 Ozzie30

Ozzie30

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:23 AM

You think McLellen would come back behind the bench for the Wings?
I hope so, the Beast is KILLING us.

EDIT: Yes, us. I've nominated myself an honorary Wing.

Edited by Ozzie30, 14 January 2011 - 10:23 AM.

RIP #24

#16 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:33 AM

They didn't keep Lilja, that's why they're sucking.

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#17 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:39 AM

And then come back to coach the Wings' defense. :hehe:

He was actually handling the Wings offense and MacLean was handling defense and got shifted to offense when McClellan left... but your point is taken :)

This is pretty much it all right here - Nabby really masked a lot of their defensive weaknesses last year, he just got burnt out by playing too much, come playoffs

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#18 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,943 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 11:35 AM

and choke-show Joe struggle.

The "Gentle Giant" as my cousin, a Canucks fan, calls him.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#19 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,077 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 12:54 PM

Clowes the only guy on the team with any heart. They have a top line thats anti-hardwork, they have one competant defenseman at both ends of the rink. No goalies.. not hard to see why there playing so s***ty, I really hope they miss the playoffs.

#NOMOREKINDL

#20 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,912 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 12:54 PM

Might they pursue Vokoun?