• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
I Red Wings I

San Jose Sharks

Rate this topic

I'm curious to see if anyone watches San Jose and explain...what is going on with the Sharks? As of last night, they have just two wins in their last ten games. Over this span, six of their last ten losses have come at home, and they have been shutout three times. They have allowed thirty-one goals (3.1 avg) against and have scored only seventeen goals (1.7 avg). As of right now, they sit twelfth in the West and fourth in the Pacific. I understand that there's a lot of games to be played and the standings are tight. In the past few seasons, it seems like they were always up top. Something just doesn't seem right. Coaching? Goal tending? Or just lack of confidence?

Guest Crymson

I'm curious to see if anyone watches San Jose and explain...what is going on with the Sharks? As of last night, they have just two wins in their last ten games. Over this span, six of their last ten losses have come at home, and they have been shutout three times. They have allowed thirty-one goals (3.1 avg) against and have scored only seventeen goals (1.7 avg). As of right now, they sit twelfth in the West and fourth in the Pacific. I understand that there's a lot of games to be played and the standings are tight. In the past few seasons, it seems like they were always up top. Something just doesn't seem right. Coaching? Goal tending? Or just lack of confidence?

I'd be happy to see the Sharks have a terrible season. After watching how much he allowed (or encouraged) his players to dive last playoff year, I'd also be perfectly content to see McLellan fail and get fired in the future.

Edited by Crymson

Guest Howard He Do It?!

I'd be happy to see the Sharks have a terrible season. After watching how much he allowed (or encouraged) his players to dive last playoff year, I'd also be perfectly content to see McLellan fail and get fired in the future.

And then come back to coach the Wings' defense. :hehe:

I have not watched them myself but looking at stats, pay raises, and player history I think the blame is right on the players. Marleau is having a down year and with his reputation it should be no surprise. Also Heatly looks to have come down with another case of the f***its which might be contagious as Pavelski looks to have come down with it as well after the contract signing.

Their PK is doing worse this season as well.

Edited by dragonballgtz

They decided they didn't need an expensive goaltender, because we win without one, and Chicago/Philly went far last year with cheap goalies.

They somehow didn't realize that Chicago (last year), Philly, and of course, Detroit, all have(had) phenomenal defense corps. They don't really have any one on their blue line to talk of.

i went to the sharks game tonight. They take weak shots, they don't sustain pressure, the forwards haven't really clicked, weak defense, they give up bad bad chances, and the goalies are both play like the back up ...theu don't play as a solid unit....and everything else mentioned above in other comments is also true.

you will get your wish soon enough

No Blake. No Nabokov. No replacements for them. Add in, that none of their "core" players are in a contract year. Sounds like a recipe for their lack of success to me.

I think their lack of goaltending is a huge problem. Nittimaki and Niemi both are nowhere as good as Nobokov. The only reason anybody believes Niemi is good is because he had that ridiculous team in front of him last year. Hes SO overrated.

Im also with Crymson, glad to see the sharks, and choke-show Joe struggle.

I'm not surprised the Sharks are having a bad season. You would think after all those playoff disappointments, it would finally get to them physically and mentally.

Serves them right after all that diving they did last year against us. I was completely disgusted with their play, and have no sympathy for what their going through right now.

I think their lack of goaltending is a huge problem. Nittimaki and Niemi both are nowhere as good as Nobokov. The only reason anybody believes Niemi is good is because he had that ridiculous team in front of him last year. Hes SO overrated.

Im also with Crymson, glad to see the sharks, and choke-show Joe struggle.

Niemi has struggled this season, I saw him basically as a charity off-season signing.

Setoguchi and Pavelski have 16 goals combined this year. I bet they were hoping for that total each by this point. Marleau is a -19 right now, worst on the team.

And Joe Thornton as captain was never a good idea.

"We did lose 10 of 11 (in Detroit, the year the Wings won the Cup) and came back, but it was a little bit different, to tell you the truth. There were guys that were coming to the rink prepared, ready to sacrifice, and their minds were clear, and they knew what the game plan was. Tonight, we didn't have that from enough people."

—Sharks coach Todd McLellan.

It's because Bombay keeps telling District 5 to dive. They've got no heart!

But seriously, it's hard to gut stuff out when you just make excuses and play with no passion. Thornton's not about to start firing up anyone on the team. You need to lead by example, and he doesn't know how to.

Setoguchi and Pavelski have 16 goals combined this year. I bet they were hoping for that total each by this point. Marleau is a -19 right now, worst on the team.

And Joe Thornton as captain was never a good idea.

"We did lose 10 of 11 (in Detroit, the year the Wings won the Cup) and came back, but it was a little bit different, to tell you the truth. There were guys that were coming to the rink prepared, ready to sacrifice, and their minds were clear, and they knew what the game plan was. Tonight, we didn't have that from enough people."

—Sharks coach Todd McLellan.

That's a call-out if ever there was one.

You think McLellen would come back behind the bench for the Wings?

I hope so, the Beast is KILLING us.

EDIT: Yes, us. I've nominated myself an honorary Wing.

Edited by Ozzie30

And then come back to coach the Wings' defense. :hehe:

He was actually handling the Wings offense and MacLean was handling defense and got shifted to offense when McClellan left... but your point is taken :)

No Blake. No Nabokov. No replacements for them. Add in, that none of their "core" players are in a contract year. Sounds like a recipe for their lack of success to me.

This is pretty much it all right here - Nabby really masked a lot of their defensive weaknesses last year, he just got burnt out by playing too much, come playoffs

Clowes the only guy on the team with any heart. They have a top line thats anti-hardwork, they have one competant defenseman at both ends of the rink. No goalies.. not hard to see why there playing so s***ty, I really hope they miss the playoffs.

Agree with all these reasons. Goaltending is huge. No blue line. Also their stars aren't playing like they want it at all. Couture is the only one on that team who has impressed me, but I don't watch all their games.

Don't mind seeming them struggle at all, so long as it doesn't giftwrap a playoff spot for Chicago. :hehe:

They should try and deal Niemi and go crawling back to Nabby... he opted out of his KHL deal and is a FA...

i heard somewhere that talks are heating up with the nhl...they just didn't say who was calling

If they fire Todd, I really hope Babcock picks him up in some capacity as an assistant.

The Sharks are in serious trouble though. Not just because they're losing, but they look completely lost. Back to back losses against Toronto and Edmonton.

Edited by Yellowknife Redwing