• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
VM1138

Holland Trying to Bring Larsson in as Howard's Backup?

Rate this topic

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2011/01/red_wings_recall_tomas_tatar_t.html

The first comment after the article admits things are hazy, but things like the Wings re-activating Larsson's profile on the website do seem to back up what they're saying.

Basically, it says Ozzie is done for the year and Larsson will be brought in to be Howard's backup. Which terrifies me.

Honestly, I'd rather have MacDonald stay up as backup, since he actually does have NHL experience, than an unproven Larsson to back up a shaky Howard...

I think one of the best, most consistent, and most skilled goalies in Elitserien could hold his own in the NHL if he gave it his all. I dont think NHL experience would be a problem, he has been pulling HV-71 all season.

Honestly, I don't believe anything unless there is a source. And that is just a poster in the MLive article who claims he read an online story detailing all this (which I have yet to locate). I understand there is some discretion used by management in the NHL, but I really don't think it sounds like Holland to hide such drastic of news about Ozzie, or to pursue a guy who dismissed the Wings' organization the way Larsson did, or to want to go through all the hassle of trying to bring Larsson back when MacDonald is a more proven NHL goalie, who is showing signs of meshing well with the team. Besides, the money it would take for Larsson to return would be better spent on a veteran goalie on the NHL market before it would be spent on an ex-AHLer. The other flaw in the article is that Larsson's profile is not on the Wing's website currently. No offense to the OP, but this just sounds like a load of manure, and "I hate manure!"

Edited by Miss Wing Queen

If Ozzie truly is out for the season, I honestly don't think we have much to look forward to when it comes time for the postseason.

After Larsson's comments, though, I don't see Holland trying to bring him back in. Would be more trouble than he's worth. Might as well bring in Ray Emery at that point.

From the comment:

Holland was seen yesterday in the Detroit Metro Airport, but there is no report as to which gate he was at or what airline he was flying (he could have been just going to tonight's game in Columbus).

Last time I checked, tonight's game was in Detroit.

Chris Osgood (who is not expected to retire before the start of next season) may not be returning after (what appears to be) season ending hernia surgery Tuesday.

Osgood is due back in mid-March.

Jordan Pearce has more victories with the Griffins this season than McCollum

McCollum is 5-10-2. Pearce is 3-2-1.

There is way too many bad facts in a random comment from an unnamed source for me to believe this. Thanks OP for posting, but I call bulls***.

I could have sworn due to transfer arrangements he wouldn't be able to come over until the next international transfer window?

If we only had someone who lives in Sweden and could read Swedish reports to clue us in.

If Ozzie truly is out for the season, I honestly don't think we have much to look forward to when it comes time for the postseason.

After Larsson's comments, though, I don't see Holland trying to bring him back in. Would be more trouble than he's worth. Might as well bring in Ray Emery at that point.

Coaches and owners have shown that if you have talent and are a prick, the latter is oftenly ignored.

Lol... really? Our playoff hopes lie with a semi-washed up back-up? Bummer.

As far as your second comment, Larsson has confidence and, apparently, something to prove. Give me that guy every time over the complacent old guy that accomplished everything already. Pretty sure Holland has zero time or desire to get involved in petty pissing matches between goalies. Lol.

Edited by Broken 16

Larsson wasn't doing great in the AHL before leaving, but has been awesome in the SEL and should have a lot of confidence. I certainly wouldn't feel much worse with him backing Howie up than Macdonald.

And just as I say that it's 2-0 Columbus.

I really don't see that happening. God forbid the Wings lose another goalie this year, but if they do I think we would see Jordan Pearce suit up before they would bring Larsson back stateside. Or more likely Kenny would look to sign or trade for a cheap stop-gap.

I really don't see that happening. God forbid the Wings lose another goalie this year, but if they do I think we would see Jordan Pearce suit up before they would bring Larsson back stateside. Or more likely Kenny would look to sign or trade for a cheap stop-gap.

Maybe Kenny will suit up?

I could have sworn due to transfer arrangements he wouldn't be able to come over until the next international transfer window?

If we only had someone who lives in Sweden and could read Swedish reports to clue us in.

Coaches and owners have shown that if you have talent and are a prick, the latter is oftenly ignored.

Mindfly sure would be useful....

And I really think Larsons comments are blown way overboard. If he's a solid tendy, they wont care about some comments said in Sweden

Lol... really? Our playoff hopes lie with a semi-washed up back-up? Bummer.

As far as your second comment, Larsson has confidence and, apparently, something to prove. Give me that guy every time over the complacent old guy that accomplished everything already. Pretty sure Holland has zero time or desire to get involved in petty pissing matches between goalies. Lol.

If MacDonald cannot handle being backup it will hurt. Howard will have to play in more games because the confidence in Mac won't be high enough for Babs to put him in.

Mindfly sure would be useful....

And I really think Larsons comments are blown way overboard. If he's a solid tendy, they wont care about some comments said in Sweden

Larsson definitly didn't realize his comments would make it all the way to Detroit. Even well spoken Swedish hockey players like Alfredsson tend to express themselves quite differently in Swedish media compared to North American.

As for his play, he leads the SEL in save percentage and has easily been the best goalie in the league. There's no reason to think he isn't ready for the NHL. There's been nothing about it in Swedish media so far though.

Despite the comments Larsson made about the Wings organization (whether they translate from in tone and harshness accurately or not) I've always been a big Larsson supporter and was glad the Wings retained his NA rights for the next 3 years. I've always felt he had the skills to potentially become a solid goaltender. THat doesn't mean he'd pan out but I always liked his game. That being said, I just don't see how this whole scenario would come to fruition.

I think what would be more likely to happen (if anything) would be for Larsson to get a training camp invite next season and compete for the back up role since his SEL season has been so strong (assuming Osgood retires this year).

Daniel Larsson - Detroit Red Wings

Edited by mmamolo

What about Nabokov? He wants back in the NHL. Could we afford him?

I sincerely doubt it. I don't know how much money he ended up walking away with from his KHL deal but no matter how much he got I still doubt he'd sign for cheap.

Honestly, I don't really understand how the Wings could bring anyone in. Osgood seems as though he'd be coming back mid-March. Even if the Wings for the LTIR route, once he comes back they'd have to re-adjust the cap and roster spots to fit ppl back in.

You don't honestly believe Ozzie's gonna be between the pipes come mid-April, do you?

I would love this personally... Would be a goal tending tandem that would demand performance. Howard knowing that Larsson is right behind him pushing to take his spot would be the perfect motivating factor for both to continually do better... moreso then an old Ozzie.

I would love this personally... Would be a goal tending tandem that would demand performance. Howard knowing that Larsson is right behind him pushing to take his spot would be the perfect motivating factor for both to continually do better... moreso then an old Ozzie.

If Larsson has a good play-off in Sweden and a good training camp after summer then this is possible scenario. But Larsson does need to prove himself, the best thing would be for him to somehow grab the No. 1 spot with the national team during the world championship, but given the glut of goalies Sweden seems to have right now, that seems unlikely.