• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Wing Across The Pond

Todd Bertuzzi - Emergency Goaltender

Rate this topic

Red Wings just posted this video on Facebook. Would be pretty cool to see, and was wondering if its ever happened before?

Basically mulling over the hypothetical situation of losing both goaltenders to injury during a game. How would a player like Bert fair between the pipes?

Haha its funny how he treats it like a real hockey interview and keeps a straight face and serious composure the whole time. Bert is a real hockey player, especially back in his Vancouver days. You see a lot of interviews where he's got a big lipper in too, I just find it hilarious

Haha its funny how he treats it like a real hockey interview and keeps a straight face and serious composure the whole time. Bert is a real hockey player, especially back in his Vancouver days. You see a lot of interviews where he's got a big lipper in too, I just find it hilarious

Yeah no doubt about it, Bert is hilarious in interviews. He is always a little shy and awkward and at times it seems like he is seconds away from MURDERING the interviewer. Even when they ask him about movies or music or off-topic questions, its always the same thing with Bert. :lol:

I always wondered what the protocol was if BOTH goalies did happen to go down with injury in a game. I'm sure most of those guys have grown up playing between the pipes now and then. If you grow up playing hockey a lot, inevitably you had to spend a lot of time between the pipes. Now it would be VERY interesting to see how anyone did against NHL skaters though, lol.

I was worried there for a minute during Fridays game against the Blues a couple of times Mcdonald went down awkwardly or was bowled over especially in the shoot out against Nash and I was thinking who the heck do they put in now? Good to know we have a backup like Bertuzzi! :goalie1:

when i think of what a real hockey player is like i think of bertuzzi, what a bad ass.

Why not Ericsson? He's made saves for us before.

I've also wondered about this kind of thing, and don't ever remember seeing it in the NHL. If anyone has a better memory than me of recent history, I'd sure like to know when a non-goaltender last played as goalie in the NHL?

Hehehe, gotta love Bert. You know, I have to say, I'd be curious as heck to see how that turned out. I mean, I don't REALLY want it to happen, but a voice inside me keeps saying, "Now THAT would be an interesting game!" Maybe they could have a charity game during the summer and have 2 of our skaters in goal and all of our goalies/goalie prospects skating. I know I'd pay to see that, heh.

Why not Ericsson? He's made saves for us before.

I've also wondered about this kind of thing, and don't ever remember seeing it in the NHL. If anyone has a better memory than me of recent history, I'd sure like to know when a non-goaltender last played as goalie in the NHL?

There was a game during the Original 6 where both goaltenders went down and they actually had someone from the crowd play.

Another instance where the goaltending coach ended up playing.

There was a game during the Original 6 where both goaltenders went down and they actually had someone from the crowd play.

Another instance where the goaltending coach ended up playing.

Interesting.

But that was a long time ago, when teams often didn't have backups in the lineup. Goalies were tougher in those days, so there wasn't much need for a backup in the first place.

But still, the idea of two goalies getting injured on the same team the same night doesn't seem all that strange, yet it rarely ever happens in the NHL.

Guest CaliWingsNut

Who was that doing the interview? It had the same boyish sound as Howard.

MacDonald... they are scarily similar sounding. They also sorta look alike (to me, minus genetics).

Lefty Wilson used to be the trainer for the wings from 1950-1982, he would play backup for the wings in case of injury, he would even be the backup for the other team if their goalie was injured. He was a pretty good goalie, played goal in juniors, he stoned Gordie Howe multiple times. Is it weird I know s*** like this off the top of my head?

also was one of the pioneers of the hockey mask

wilsonmask.jpg

Edited by wings1110

Does anyone know if the Red Wings have a designated emergency goalie? Is it one of the trainers or something? If not, I want this job. I can be the designated west-coast trip emergency tendy. Here me out, my resume is legit:

I only played beer league, but my technique is flawless. I stack the pads on every shot, even if it makes no sense to stack the pads. Every shot. Don't care. Stackin' the pads. A wrap-around? Don't care, stackin' the pads. A shot from the point? Don't care, stackin' the pads. I think it'd be a good publicity thing for the team, "come see the goalie whose only move is to stack the pads." I'm basically super entertaining to watch, on account of how old school I am, and how unusually often I'll stack the pads for no good reason. I'll tell them in advance that I'm gonna do it, and then I'll kick it out. People love a classic padstack. They don't even teach the padstack at hockey school anymore. The Rock had the People's Elbow and I have the People's Padstack. Put me in Blash.

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs